2 PTO's on my International

/ 2 PTO's on my International #1  

JATO_RaT

Veteran Member
The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California
2 PTO\'s on my International

Just wondering if anybody has ever used the high speed PTO (forgot the speed) to run a low HP eating mower. My International runs 2 PTO's out the back one at 540 and another at a considerably higher speed. I was wondering if I could run a mower at a much reduced RPM designed for 540 RPM PTO on the higher PTO providing the RPM was down to 540 RPM or less. My International has alot of power and could probably run my 84" finish mower at far less then the 2500 RPM to run the 540 PTO. Thanks in advance, Rat..

/ 2 PTO's on my International #2  
Re: 2 PTO\'s on my International

Rat,

My experience with 2 speed PTO's is my Dad's David Brown 990. His has a lever, push it down for 540, up for 1,000. Your high speed is almost certainly 1000 at rated pto rpm. However, the David Brown only has the one output shaft. Made it sporting once when Mom pulled up on the lever, instead of down, when starting up a square baler. It wasn't supposed to be a kicker baler./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
On tractors with 2 pto shafts, usually the high speed shaft has a different spline configuration. Does yours? But if you want to give it a wirl, do the math, 540 rpm is .54 of 1000, so .54X rated pto rpm will get you 540 out of the 1000 pto shaft. Try it and see if you have the HP to run it. Won't hurt anything, so long as you remember to keep the RPM's down./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Farmer kid usetabe, Farmer Wannabe

/ 2 PTO's on my International

Exactly Nick, the 1000 RPM shaft is a tighter spline configuration then the 540. I need a different PTO coupling and then multiply the 540 PTO RPM index point on the tach times .54 to get the new reduced RPM for the 1000 RPM PTO. I have (maybe its had) an old Stewart Warner tach that you simply push the rubber tip up against the center of a turning shaft and it read out the RPM. Thanks, Rat...

/ 2 PTO's on my International #4  

You can buy adapters for the 1000 pto shaft that slip over and make it look like a 540 pto shaft. They aren't expensive. Check farm stores like TSC, Country General (while there still here) etc... Just run you tractor about 1/2 rpm (actually slightly more) of typical pto speed if you use the 1000 pto shaft.

So either of you guys know why they have these 1000 RPM pto's? I wish my Kubota had one. It's rare for the finish mower to put a load on the engine and think about how nice it would be to run it at about half the RPM. Thanks, Rat...

/ 2 PTO's on my International #6  

Rat, while most 3-point implements are made with gearboxes designed to run at 540 rpm, there are of course some made for the 1000 rpm and I don't know why or how many implements are made that way. But I know a guy who has a 15' brush hog that uses the 1000 rpm PTO.

BirdSig.jpg

/ 2 PTO's on my International #7  

Some equipment in the agricultural world require higher RPM's. I guess they decided to do it at the tractor way the hell back when, rather than at the implement with a gear box. Don't really know why. Maybe they did it for exactly the reason you are interested in one, or the other way around. Higher PTO RPM for same engine RPM, or in your case, same PTO RPM for lower engine RPM. Which, again, works fine, so long as there is sufficient HP to turn it. And on an AG tractor, that is usually not a problem, as is likely the case with your IH.

My dad has a corn sheller and you just can't get to it's operating RPM with 540. No problem on 1000, actually only run it at about 3/4 of the 1800 rpm that is the tach setting for PTO output. The sheller has got to get sufficient air flow up to blow the shelled corn out of the machine. Lower rpm's and you get corn meal, since the corn isn't efficiently blown out of the mahcine.

Radman, good point, I had forgotten about those adapters. Rat, you might (probably would) need to shorten your drive shaft. Which becomes a pain, if you want to switch tractors. Rather than an adapter, would a new 1/2 a drive shaft with the appropriate coupler work? Would let you just slide in different ends of the shaft to change tractors. It might not matter for you, but it's a thought.

Nick

Farmer kid usetabe, Farmer Wannabe

/ 2 PTO's on my International #8  

You might find that you are lowering the rpm below the power band on the tractor by doing this swap. The 454 is a good solid 45 horsepower and I can understand the tractor is just playing with it unless thats an 84" bush-hog style mower. Finish mower wise you could move up to at least a 90 and still have enough power.

I also have a 80" Woods offset "Brush Hog" mower. It weighs about 1500lbs and I would continue to run it at the 540 RPM or stick it on the Kubota. Great comments from all of you, thanks, Rat...

/ 2 PTO's on my International #10  

1000 rpm pto shafts are typically used on larger tractors with higher hp. Many larger tractors (150hp+) don't even have 540 rpm pto shafts. High torque and high hp has a tendency to result in twisting off 540 pto shafts in large tractors.-ouch!