caseih.com

/ caseih.com #1  

klm

Silver Member
Tractor
Allis D17 CIH D40, JD5310, Massimo MS50010
Certainly a sorry website compared to the John Deere website. Almost no good information and you can't price a tractor at all. Just one more reason JD is eating their lunch. I was intrested in a DX40 or 45 but not now.

/ caseih.com #2  
Check out New Holland. Same tractor just a different color and front end.

/ caseih.com #3  
New Holland's website is not too hot either. Heck your dealership and ours probably has as much information.

Frankly, the internet is not a great place to be doing a bulk of your tractor research. You'll learn far more good stuff by going out, kicking tires, and talking to a salesmen.

/ caseih.com #4  
klm said:
Certainly a sorry website compared to the John Deere website. Almost no good information and you can't price a tractor at all. Just one more reason JD is eating their lunch. I was intrested in a DX40 or 45 but not now.
MessickFarmEqu said:
Frankly, the internet is not a great place to be doing a bulk of your tractor research. You'll learn far more good stuff by going out, kicking tires, and talking to a salesmen.
I'm constantly amazed by the posts I read on this forum where people base buying decisions on what they read on company websites and what they read about the tractors (or anything else) without actually seeing them. It just makes no sense to me that if you are dropping $15,000 to $30,000+ on a item to base decisions on the internet websites.

First, most people don't even analyse the information well, comparitive analysis between brands is very difficult but using website information is confusing as all hell. Many brands inflate their capacities by using numbers that are not real world numbers. As mentioned, the Case & NH websites are horrible sites, lacking a lot in so many ways that it would be best to start over from scratch. But does the fancy JD website show that they downsized some of their driveshafts on their compacts? A fancy website does not tell the whole story. Kioti has a nice website, if you want to judge a tractor on a website, go to that one, you'd think they were a giant company that is eating up a lot of other brands, but they sell maybe 5000 to 6000 tractors a year. Mahindra, selling probably 2 to 3 times the number of tractors that Kioti sells has a decent website, but if you look around these forums there is very little Mahindra information compared to Kioti. JD pricing on the internet has nothing to do with real world pricing, although I suppose it gives some very broad range? But walking into a dealership and having the price be 15% to 20% different than the website is a pretty broad range!

In general, it seems silly to me to base a decision on the internet but it makes a lot more sense to put your butt into the seat of the machines. One brand will fit you better than another, one will appeal to you more than another, one will have a dealer that impresses you more than the others. Those are far more valid reasons to buy a brand.

/ caseih.com
I agree only a complete novice would base his total buying decision on what he reads on the manufactues website but it is a starting point. To me if they can't at least give me the basic information including the suggested retail price they must not be intrested in my business. It's not that I now know nothing about caseih stuff, I now have a D40 and was intrested in maybe moving up but am cosidering going back to JD.

/ caseih.com #6  
klm said:
To me if they can't at least give me the basic information including the suggested retail price they must not be intrested in my business.
Wow that is pretty limiting. Based on what I've seen, only ONE major company puts MSRP on their website. I know that Northern Tool puts up their actual prices for their Jimna variants. So I guess you can't really consider many brands. Seems like your criteria for judging brands by their websites is unrealistic.

As for basic information, all brands give you that, but some do it with simple on screen information, others via downloadable PDF files.

/ caseih.com #7  
On a whole most tractor companies do not understand the power of the internet even in this day and age. CIH before the buy-out had a very good webmaster,and website. As a matter of fact it was the best of all tractor companies at this time. Since then the site has regressed drastically.

/ caseih.com #8  
The problem is that the internet is rather irrelevant to their overall business. Yea, there are a handul of CUT owners that post and talk on these websites. However the bulk of their business and customers will never reference the internet before making a purchase. You can be sure they've done studies on this and if a huge investment into their website would make an equal difference in sales they would do it.

Now while I understand everything I just wrote, I think they're missing the boat at the same time. The bestway to build credibility online is to open up your business to the consumer. Post service bullitins, dealer inventory,etc,etc online. Let the customer see how you do business. It may not appear to pay in the short term, but long term I can't see how it would not.

/ caseih.com #9  
Good point. The fact remains however, that the compact segment is growing rapidly, as is internet usage. Domestic auto manufacturers tended to treat compact cars as a minor item for a long time, and lost market share by devoting their energies to the way things had historically worked for them. They are still playing catch up and still losing market share.

The internet will become a major source of information, far more than it is now, for more than just us compact buyers. People are beginning to shop for big ticket items over the 'net as reliability levels come up. I can see the day when the local dealer becomes mostly a service department, with direct sales as a minor part of their business. Perhaps tractor sales direct from the manufacturer are not too far off, with the dealer becoming more of delivery/drop off point.

The days of the traditional farmer buying a traditional tractor from a traditional dealer, sadly, are numbered. Correct me if I'm wrong here Mr. Messick, but aren't most of the large units you sell either ordered special or modified to suit the customer's needs in some way before delivery? Installation of a GPS system, perhaps, or different tires, or more hydraulics, etc. A good website that would allow your customers to order directly from the manufacturer would save you looking through all the books and forms while still allowing you a profit for handling the physical aspects of the sale.

/ caseih.com #10  
daTeacha said:
Good point. The fact remains however, that the compact segment is growing rapidly
No actually it is not. It WAS growing rapidly but now seems to be leveling off and may soon begin to contract. Lawn tractors already losing sales and that market is contracting as ZTRs continue to grow. Compact tractors seem to have already peaked but it would be premature to say that the market is contracting, it is however, clearly leveling out and I suspect it is going to contract.