What's a good brush hog?

/ What's a good brush hog? #1  

Anonymous Poster

What\'s a good brush hog?

Just curious---what is a good brand of brush hog? I'm looking at a 5, 6 or 7 foot, more likely a 7 ft. Any input? I'll be running it with an IH 560.

/ What's a good brush hog? #2  
Re: What\'s a good brush hog?

Too broad a question; not enough information. Most of the manufacturers make, light, medium, and heavy duty models (priced accordingly of course). However, you only asked about a good brand; so consider Bush Hog, Landpride, Brown, Rhino, Woods, John Deere, and probably a few others.

BirdSig.jpg

/ What's a good brush hog?

I've got 30 acres of grass/weeds, etc. It doesn't have any brush what so ever. Just trying to figure out if I would be better off go with a brush hog type mower or if I should be looking at some other style of mower/cutter, etc. The ground itself is not extremely rough, but has several terraces.

Use---not something I would use everyday. I may have an occasion to get into some brush, but not on a regular basis. I've been told to make sure the mower has wheels vs. only attached to the 3 pt. to prevent hitting dirt, etc. Any thoughts there?

Hopefully this gives you a little more info.

What is the size of your tractor and how many PTO hp?

How much do you anticipate spending?

Is most of the stuff less than 1" and tall grass?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ What's a good brush hog? #5  

John, he says an IH560, which Tractortips.com lists at 59.48 PTO hp, so I'd say a 6' or 7' brush hog would do.

Since it's light stuff you'll be cutting, bstrong, a cheaper, light duty brush hog should do just fine. I use a 5' Howse 500, which is a light duty one behind my B2710. And all the 3-point brush hogs with which I'm familiar have at least one tail wheel, which I assume is what someone has told you to be sure it has. A neighbor has a very old 7' Howse (don't know what model) that he uses behind an 85hp Oliver. That brush hog has a bar across the back and had two tail wheels that could be slid back and forth to position them wherever you wanted. However, he tore up one tail wheel a few years ago and just took it off and moved the remaining one to the center (which is what most brush hogs have anyway).

BirdSig.jpg

Hi Bird,

Must be lacking sleep... seeing too many posts and missed his IH560 part...

What rotary cutter brands are sold in your area and how much do you want to spend?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

The majority is tall grass and less than 1", on an occasion I may get into something slightly larger, but rarely.

I'm in Missouri, we've got several brands to choose from! I was debating on size, didn't know if going up to 7' would be worth while or not. I haven't even shopped around yet, I wanted to get some advice from you all first.....it's nice to be somewhat educated before I venture out.

An individual offered a 7' for $1000, I don't know anything about it other than the guy offering it, don't know the brand, age, nothing. I didn't know if 7' was the way to go or not, I don't have a whole of trees to worry about weaving through.

I take it there is a significant price difference between a 6' and 7'? I definitely will not be spending for than $1000 on this, as I've got too many other toys to buy for it......auger, blade, etc. What should I anticipate spending on a 6'??

<font color=blue>...What should I anticipate spending on a 6'?? ...</font color=blue>

KingKutter 6' rotary cutter is about $700-800...

Actually, your $1000. price for a 7' is not bad at all.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Let me know the brand & model...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

I just bought an ih560 this year. Found an old woods bush hog for a couple hundred. It's a 7 footer and very sturdy. The 560 (diesel of course) handles it with ease. I recommend go 7' as it will allow you to cut closer to stuff. Otherwise your tires & tractor get close, but the mower stays inches away. By the way, I mowed stuff 3' tall with it and a lot of very small trees. Only slow down was letting the mower discharge the stuff. The tractor never even thought of bogging. A little more money now on a 7' translates to a lot of satisifaction later.

/ What's a good brush hog? #10  

just a note to let you know my experience with the Woods Brush Bull BB720. It's a 6 foot single spindle mower with stump-jumper, attached to my Case-IH DX40.... this thing is heavy (1100+ pounds) and rugged (Woods calls it a medium duty mower). I've used it about 15 hours and have not had any problems.... I have scalped a few hidden boulders, leveled a small grove of volunteer white ash, biggest about 1-1/2" diameter at the base, and clomped a few hidden logs without any problem or damage. That said, I would definitely get one wider than your tractor. Mine is several inches wider than the DX40 and it works well. As for the discussion about the two wheel model, I bet that's better than the style with only one. Good luck!