Case in general; JX specifically

/ Case in general; JX specifically #1  

2manyhorses

Hi,
Looking at new and slightly used tractors on Tractorhouse.com and notice that as a brand, Case is priced more reasonably than some of the "other" brands. Know this is a Case group and curious to hear from you with Case experience why this is...is it a lesser product, just a brand recognition thing? Also any comments re: the JX series? Grew up with Ford/NH, currently have a MF (which has been nothing but trouble) and looking in the 50-60HP range. Thanks in advance for all info and comments.
Joan

/ Case in general; JX specifically #2  
CaseIH is now part of CNH (Case New Holland) The New Holland and Case tractors are one and the same. Same motors just different color of paint and the Case has a little bit of a different look on the front end. Both very good tractor. I believe the Case JX series are the TT series from New Holland are the same tractors. If I'm wrong someone correct me please.

/ Case in general; JX specifically #3  
Just curious which model of Massey do you have? A lot of people in my area are having all kinds of problems with the 400 series.

/ Case in general; JX specifically #4  
The CIH JX is a very well built econo type tractor of older Fiat technology. Try it and I think you'll like it if you can live with lower tech.

/ Case in general; JX specifically #5  
The JX is the same as the New Holland TN series.

/ Case in general; JX specifically #6  
Woody, Do you call it old technology because it does not have a computer, and alot of electronic controls? I would call it well proven "Just What You Need" technology.
Chuck

/ Case in general; JX specifically
Kinda what I was wondering...just what is low tech. I really don't need bells and whistles, our MF 1180 ('92) was fine until it just started falling apart. Would like a cab w/ac though! Is the JX comparable to the TT or TN in New Holland, thought the TT was the "economy" model?
Joan:D

/ Case in general; JX specifically #8  
I think you caught the jist Chuck. Older more mechanical ideas,mixed with some newer creature comforts........

/ Case in general; JX specifically #9  
I dont know about the smaller JXs, but the JX75 and JX95 are, with minor exceptions, the same as the just-released New Holland TDD series:

Press Releases

As far as "low tech" I'd say that means clutching for mechanical shifts for every gear change, range change, and direction change.

I owned a JX75 that I bought new and it kept popping out of 4th gear when "motor braking". This is very bad when roading or working on hills, yeah yeah who works in 4th gear... I know. Well I should not have hoped it would "wear in" because I ended up with a tractor with just over 50 hours that was going to have to be split to fix the problem, under warranty, of course. Having had a tractor that had to be split to fix a "recall" issue once before (2000 model TC40D), I wasn't pleased, knowing I'd get it back with the "new" knocked off in a big way, and I was afraid it would start leaking, just like my TC40D did. So I negotiated an attractive trade-in for a new JX95.

Guess what? The JX95 leaks from where the front drive-spline exits the transfer case and also from some of the fittings just above the oil-filter. Not a lot, and it only produces new seepage when the engine's running, but I wouldn't want to park it on any of my pavement. Oh well. Also: the Case "factory" AM/FM radio works fine but in both my JX's the CD players simply wouldn't work. If you want CD or XM, go aftermarket.

The floor-mounted shuttle on the JX75 and 95 is stiff and must be clutched, so I think a JX75 or 95 would be an awful tractor to have a loader on, but since I don't, it's no real bother. I mostly bush-hog with this tractor, and for that, it's fine: one great feature is a cam-device on one of the lift-arms that can be set to limit the lift-height so a mower can be lifted only minimally if you hit something, removing the need to stop the blades first (to keep stress off the PTO-shaft U-joints). The JX raise/lower controls being independent from the height adjustments also work well for mowing. Most importantly, the AC works great and the cup-holder is in the right place and fits a full-sized can-hugger. I have loaders on a Ford/New Holland 3930 and an Case IH 5140: The column-mounted mechanical (and clutched) shuttle on the 3930 is a bare necessity. The electronic shuttle and electronic 4-speed on the 5140 is a joy. BTW, Both of these are great tractors and if used is OK for you, I recommend them highly. Also, 5140s often have cabs, but it's a BIG tractor.

FWIW,

mk

Last edited:
   / Case in general; JX specifically #10  
The JXC, not the JX, is equivalent to the TN series.

Last edited: