help fo ra newbie with IH tractor

/ help fo ra newbie with IH tractor #1  

EnviroEd

Tractor
JD 5303
Hi, I'm new to farming and have been lurking around this site for about 5 months now trying to gather information to buy a tractor. I'v been dreaming of a new tractor w/ cab but sometimes I just have to come back to earth and live with my paycheck. That's why I'm finally asking for help now.
I found this International tractor on a farm for sale that I'd like to find out more about. The farmer told me he thinks it's a 1972 model with around 42 hp. He thought it was a 365 but the numbers aren't on the sides and I don't know where else to look. It's a diesel tractor that starts right up with no smoke after the first few minutes and everything else seems to work ok. He let me use the tractor with a brush hog for about 45 min. the tractor never missed a lick and the power steering and 3ph worked good, I even tried the diff lock. Now I'd like to find out more on this tractor. What other things should I be looking at? It has 2 hyd fittings on the back and I'd also like to know if a loader could be put on the tractor. Thanks for any help.

/ help fo ra newbie with IH tractor #2  
You might want to check out TractorHouse.com and look at the photos to see the tractor. I briefly looked and can't find any 365 model in there list.
It may be a 4xx since the 3xx were 30 something HP.
At least you will be able to find the model this way.

It's real good you were able to run it for that long. The last old tractor I looked at had the throw-out bearing screaming after 10 minutes of run time.

/ help fo ra newbie with IH tractor
Thanks for the reply. I looked at Tractorhouse and I now think the tractor is a 354 in the 30 hp range. The two models (354, 454) looked so much alike but the 354 dash is identical to the one I'm thinking about. So I guess I lost some HP by looking around but that’s the whole idea of the first post. When you don't know anything all information is appreciated. Thanks again.

/ help fo ra newbie with IH tractor #4  
You will probably get some excellent information from the IH Red Power forums. All the IH experts hang out there and they are very active forums.

IH Red Power forums

/ help fo ra newbie with IH tractor #5  
A 354 fits the 1972 date. There are major differences in the 354 and the 454. I'm pretty sure the 454 has the 3cyl engine, while the 354 has a four cyl. The 454 has the "lightning" shift transmission that has four reverse speeds and eight forward as opposed to two reverse in the 354. The 454 also has full power steering while the 354 has a power assist cylinder external to the tractor.

/ help fo ra newbie with IH tractor
Thanks geneP, it must be a 354 then because it's a 4 speed with hi/lo range and has the power assist cylinder external to the tractor. It's also a 4 cyl because I was told the glow plugs were just changed. He said he thought one of them was bad but wasn't sure how to check them so he just replaced all 4.

Thanks Mad Referee, I've just had a little time but was able to check out the site. Haven't had time to register and post yet, though. Hopefully in the near future.

Any more ideas about what I should look for will be really appreciated because I think I'm going to be doing some trading for the tractor. As luck will have the gentleman’s willing to trade for some guns I have.