Case 885 lift

/ Case 885 lift #1  

cmatthew

Tractor
3.5 HP Toro 22" cut w/bagger ----Wish I could get a real tractor!
Hey guys, I'm new to the sight. I appreciate the opportunity join in the discussion forum. I thought I'd jump right in with a problem a friend of mine has been having with a "new" tractor of his. He bought a Case 885 (unsure of year, maybe late '70-early '80s) about 9 months ago for bush hogging and keeping his gravel/dirt roads in shape. A couple months ago the lift started giving him trouble. To begin with it was slow to raise the bush hog up and now has gradually gotten to the point to where it won't raise at all even with the implements taken off. Well, I should say it will raise within about 10 minutes if you go in and have a cup of coffee while the tractor is outside running. We had trouble finding anyone in this area who would even look at the tractor. The one who would help out checked the hydraulic pressure (he thought the pump might have given up the ghost.) The gauge read @2200psi so he told us the pump was not bad. Unfortunately he had no other ideas. Someone told us the filter might be plugged, but I believe there is a bypass valve that would still let the fluid flow(?) We haven't gotten around to changing the filter to see if that solves anything.
I was wondering if anyone might have run into a similar problem or are familiar enough with this model to know how to solve this problem.

/ Case 885 lift #2  
If this is a Case-International 885 it was made between '85 and '90. If it is, there is a valve housing (multi purpose valve, mpv) that the oil filter mounts on that can get plugged if the hydraulic oil has chunks of contaminant in it. The debris can come from the park brake band, or maybe the brake linings. At any rate, the first thing I would try is changing the filter. You might get an idea of what is in the oil by the residue in the filter case. You won't loose but a couple of quarts of oil doing this. The hydraulic system repairs can get expensive, so I like to know that the oil and filter are clean and fresh when I start using a used tractor.

I have a factory service manual for the 85 series Case-IH. There are three separate troubleshooting charts for the "Hitch Will Not Raise or Raises Slowly" complaint depending on what other functions do/do not work. If you want more information, PM me and I'll help if I can.
Gene

/ Case 885 lift
It looks like this is definitely a David Brown by the serial plates. Probably around an '82 model. I pulled the pan to check out the filter and found all kinds of interesting stuff inside. For starters, I drained an alarming amount of water/oil soup filled with chunks of debris (slime, organic matter--grass?, and couple of metal pieces.) He should have fixed the boots around the shifters like I suggested. As far as the metal pieces go I don't think they are related to this problem but I am still a little concerned. One piece looks kind of like it mounts to the end of a small shaft and slides though a race and the other is a small steel ball bearing about 2mm. I'm not sure if these have anything to do with this but it might be trouble later.
The filter was completely gummed up with sludge and debris. I don't see how anything could flow through it. I checked on a new one a little while ago and of course this tractor has a mystery filter in it. The folks at the parts supply house pulled one that is the same dimensions, but the one they show is supposed to have a valve (similar to a thermostat for a car) mount into the bottom. Well, the filter I pulled just has a filter with no opening for a valve to go into the bottom. Not exactly sure if the tractor has the wrong filter or not. The valve is an extra $135.00 on top of the filter. They thought it might use a "low pressure" filter that would not use a valve but they don't carry them. So, I guess I need to do some more homework before I spend all my buddies' money on parts (his wife might not let me come over any more.) Any great or not so great ideas are appreciated.

/ Case 885 lift #4  
If it's a DB model try getting ahold of Elmer the DB Guru over at his site. David Brown Home

You're on the right path with the shifter boots,and new fluid. If I rember correctly there is also a valve for selecting 3pth hitch flow or remotes. Might want to get an owners manual at least for it.

/ Case 885 lift
Well, here's an update on the lift/filter situation. As luck would have it, the guys at the local Case parts house called with the name and number of a local guy who's supposed to be familiar with the Case tractors. So I gave him a call and asked him about the mystery filter in the tractor (stainless steel wire mesh screen w/o paper element, no valve on bottom.) He said this is a late model filter made as a replacement for the paper element filters used on these models. He said the paper filters caused problems if they tore or broke down and crumbled so this was used to avoid that issue. He also said that I didn't need the valve with this. Added bonus was that when these got dirty you just cleaned with mineral spirits and reinstall.
If he is correct then this could end up being a simpler fix than expected. I have the filter soaking as we speak, so hopefully this could go back in the tractor tonight. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Oh, geneP---I wouldn't mind checking out the trouble shooting manuals you had mentioned earlier, I would imagine that they could come in handy for things like this.
Thanks (geneP, Woodbeef) for replying to my questions about this problem with the lift. Since I've never had to work on one of these, it was nice to have the input from folks who know something about tractors. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report tonight or tomorrow!

/ Case 885 lift #6  
My manual is for the later model Case-IH tractor, I doubt it is applicable to your tractor. Sorry about the confusion.
Gene

/ Case 885 lift
That's okay. The filter change worked! We got her put back together Friday night and went to work Saturday morning with the box scraper. After about two hours the lift was acting up again. We then dropped the pan and sure enough the filter was blocked. After a quick cleanup it was back up and running. When we drained the oil the second time (new oil) there was still some water/debris left over so when it came time to refill the case we left out the last gallon or so with the water settled in it and put in fresh oil. We've run it about 8 hours more with no trouble.

Since I had the honor of working on it, it seemed only natural that I would get first dibs on using it this weekend. Well, my buddy forgot to mention that the brakes are bad also. It was a little dangerous working around his lake. I checked it out and it looks like they have been adjusted about as far as they can go. So I was just wandering how bad of a job it is to replace the brakes on one of these 885's? Maybe I should start another thread on this!

/ Case 885 lift #8  
hey guys got a question,first let me say ,that i read some of your questons and anwsers they sound like just what the doc orderd for me . my father inlaw gave me a CASE 885 dont know much about it,got it started ok but there dont seem to be any steering the steering wheel turns very easy but thats it front end does not move,thats sitting steal not moving just wanted to know if there was a lever some were i needed to move.

/ Case 885 lift #9  
The first thing you need to determine is if you have an actual IH tractor made by IH in England or the David Bradley Not an IH tractor but appears to have the same model series.
IF it is the IH 885 it uses a Sauer Danforth hydraulic steering system with no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front steering cylinder. It is a very interesting system that does nor require the engine to be running to operate but does have to have hydraulic fluid and as all hydraulic systems no air in the system. When the engine is running it is a very nice power steering system. With the engine not running it is a get-back-to-the-barn system.
Does it operate when the engine is not running?
Does it operate when the engine is running?
Do any of the rest of the hydraulics operate including the service brakes?
I would invest in the Case IH service manual (if IH) and invest some time in learning how it is supposed to operate.

/ Case 885 lift #10  
THANKS FOR THE INFO OLEMAN,IGOT THE OWNERS MANUAL FROM THE GUY THAT HAD IT .THE MANUAL HAS 885/885N ON THE FRONT, ITS THE 885 NOT THE NARROW ONE,DID SOME READING ON IT ,FOUND OUT THE SAME THING YOU SAID,HYDROSTATIC STEERING, NOTHING WORKS RUNNING OR NOT ,WHEN NOT RUNNING STEERING WHEEL SPINS VERY EASY BUT NOTHING ELSE MOVES ,SAMETHING WHEN ITS RUNNING,HAVE NOT FOOLED ANY MORE WITH IT BEEN WORKING,GOING TO LOOK AT IT THIS WEEKEND. ANY MORE INFO WILL HELP THANKS A BUNCH