Buying Advice Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710 #1  

moses6x6

Tractor
Case IH DX45
I've been evaluating two different used tractors, both about 2 years old. The first is a JD 4710 with a 460 loader and Cozy Cab. 400 hours. The JD dealer wants $26k. The second tractor is a DX45 with a 116 loader and a Sims cab. 200 hrs. Both have R4 tires. IH dealer wants $22k. Does this seem reasonable? I'm leaning towards the Case. I like the hi/low shift on the joystick, platform layout, 3pt setup. Are there any major differentiators that I should be aware of?

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710 #2  
moses6x6 said:
I've been evaluating two different used tractors, both about 2 years old. The first is a JD 4710 with a 460 loader and Cozy Cab. 400 hours. The JD dealer wants $26k. The second tractor is a DX45 with a 116 loader and a Sims cab. 200 hrs. Both have R4 tires. IH dealer wants $22k. Does this seem reasonable? I'm leaning towards the Case. I like the hi/low shift on the joystick, platform layout, 3pt setup. Are there any major differentiators that I should be aware of?

Best of luck on your decision, you'll find more folks will see your post if you post in the NH/Ford forum. The NH TC45D is exactly the same as the Case DX45 w/ blue paint. You can do a competitive comparison here: New Holland North America: Products

I've been looking at the same tractors as you are, and I personally prefer the NH/Case, but it is a matter of opinion...folks get mighty particular about the color of their tractors (did you catch that in my handle?):D

What other info do you have on the tractors for price comparison...examples: FEL, remote hydraulics, overall condition, maint. records, etc..?

Thanks

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710 #3  
Moses, you will find those two tractors very closely matched in size, but the JD has the edge in HP over the Case. Probably a more close comparison would be the JD 4610 to the DX45. That said, there are some differences worth considering that might have an impact on your decision.

1. The JD hydro has three ranges and the DX has only two. However, the DX has the rabbit/turtle switch that effectively gives it four ranges and is a very convenient on-the-fly hi/lo shift. I'd give this edge to the DX.

2. The JD has a clutch and the DX has none. I think that has to be an advantage for the DX because the hydro transmission just does not need a clutch. The clutch is just an extra unused pedal and something that can fail. That's just my opinion of course. A JD owner might have a completely different view.

3. The JD 4710 has been discontinued and replaced by the JD 4320 or other model JD, so in some ways it's an "orphan" of JD. However, JD does not have a history of making any of its tractors orphans. They support them very well for years and years.

4. I think I would want to check out the low range stall characteristics of both the DX45 and the JD4710. Owning a NH TC45D, I have to say I am not happy that the TC45D can get no more power to the wheels than the TC35DA or TC40DA because they all use the same pressure relief vavle in the transmission. That is probably not true of the JD4710. I think I'd recommend pushing them to their limit and seeing if one is significantly a winner. Once you get used to using either tractor, this WILL make a difference.

5. Price...The DX has a $4000 advantage. That just can't be argued.

I think I'd be very happy with either tractor, but you should just make sure you make the choice that's best for you and you'll be happy.

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710 #4  
Hey MOSES6X6,

I purchased a 05 Case DX45 w/116 loader and 240 hrs on the meter Wednesday. Don't worry I didn't buy the one you are looking at......mine dosen't have a cab. I paid $20,000. The unit looks like factory new. It had a 60" QA bucket but I talked the dealer out of a new 72" with 3 hooks welded on and a new heavy duty set of QA pallet forks. I feel I received a very fair deal considering the Wisconsin market. There are not alot of good, used, low hr, reasonably priced machines in the area. John Deere gets a premium around here and I wasn't willing to pay extra just to sit on green.

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710
I appreciate the information. Both of the tractors would satisfy my needs. The only real add-on difference is that the JD has an extra 'continuous flow' hydraulic valve for a front broom (for which I have no use). The JD has 200 more hours and was used at a manufacturing site to do utility work around the yard. It does have some rust as it was used to clear snow in a lot used by semi trucks (salt on asphalt). The tires are quite a bit more worn since they were on pavement most of the time.

I have heard about the relief valve concern in other threads on TBN. Is that a real problem? I do have some dirt to move on my 35 acres - a few duck scrapes that need to be cleaned out, and I do pull a two bottom plow and field cultivator on my food plots. Is the Case tractor going to stall out on me???

The price seems right based on the posts and what I've been able to find on TractorHouse.com. The Sims cab (which I want because I have a half mile driveway to clean snow off of) is about a $4000-$5000 option new.

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710 #6  
moses6x6 said:
I have heard about the relief valve concern in other threads on TBN. Is that a real problem? I do have some dirt to move on my 35 acres - a few duck scrapes that need to be cleaned out, and I do pull a two bottom plow and field cultivator on my food plots. Is the Case tractor going to stall out on me???

The tractor is not going to "stall out" as such, but there are times you realize your engine has a lot more power left when the transmission is "giving up." For example, your engine has plenty of power to climb a fairly steep grade in Hi/Turtle, but the transmission goes into relief and you have to stop and shift to Lo/Rabbit to continue up. This is the nature of all hydrostatic transmissions, but the JD might not go into relief at as low a point as the Case/New Holland. I don't know that this is true, but I can't imagine a 48 hp tractor that won't get more power to the ground than the 45 hp CNH.

Now, does this make a big difference in day-to-day operation? Absolutely not! I love my TC45D and have done major digging in creeks and cleaning up a pond after having a dozer do the major silt cleanout. I can always find a range for maximum power (usually Lo/Turtle) that will spin the tire in most applications. After all, if you are spinning your tires, you don't need more power. You need more traction. You'll be able to clean out swales and pull that two-bottom plow with ease. I've done both and the DX's features still make it my favorite even though there's always the wish for more.;)

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710 #7  
I would buy the one you feel most comfortable with. 4k is a lot of money and you can buy a lot of implements with 4k. I am pro Case New Holland so it is hard for me to say anything other than go CNH. Another thing if the little difference in tractors does not bother you look at the dealer. Which one do you think is going to take care of you the best after the sale.

Best wishes in your decision.

murph

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710 #8  
I have a 2003 4710 that I bought new. There is no clutch on mine and I don't think there is on a 2004 either so I wouldn't worry about that. I also wouldn't worry about JD supporting the 4710.

The 4710 is very stout and has done more than I ever expected it to. The hydraulics are very strong and the transmission has never by-passed. The JD tranny has load match that will either slow the transmission to keep a constant engine speed or maintain ground speed and will actually stall the engine if you don't let up on the peddle. I use a 950 lb box blade, 440 lbs of wheel weights, and a 700 lb grapple on the front and this tractor carries that weight like it's not there. Mine has the 460 FEL which is very strong and I also have the 48 BH which it does very well with. I do not have a cab.

Just for reference, in 2003 the 4710 e-hydro with deluxe seat, power beyond kit, speed match, electronic cruise, dual scv, and r4 tires cost about $22K. The 460 loader with heavy duty 73" QA bucket cost approx. $3600.

I don't know much about the DX45 but it does sound like it is a better deal though. Considering 200 less hours, considerably less tire wear, and what sounds like a general overall better condition I would problably have to lean in that direction. But without seeing the differnces in the cabs and other features first hand it's tough to give an opinion. $4K is a lot of price difference. Like thcri says, you have to go with what makes you feel warm and fuzzy. I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

I will stick my neck out and say that it appears as though the JD holds it's value better. :)

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710
Just to close the loop...

I bought the Case DX45 today. $22k. FEL, quick attach HD bucket, Sims Cab, one rear remote, R4s, 230 hours, very clean one owner with light duty on a hobby farm.

The CNH dealer was bigger and had better access to accessories compared to the JD dealer that had the 4710. I also picked up a Berlon 7ft snow blade (very nice for the price!), Berlon snow bucket and forks. I am having 2 more remotes added before it is delivered.

Next I'm looking for 3pt top n tilt cylinders.

Can't wait for delivery!

/ Advice on a used DX45 vs JD 4710 #10  
moses,

I think you made a good decision. Enjoy your new tractor and be sure to post pics.