Green with red JX55 - Leak

/ Green with red JX55 - Leak #1  

chloetar

Tractor
Case IH JX 55
Hi. I have a JX 55 with a little over 100 hours on it that I bought new. Underneath, there is a pretty good spot of anti-freeze on the ground. Has anyone else developed this leak so early on? Are these models susceptible to leaking? Once it warms a little, I will check the hoses and such for tightness.

I'd like to hear if others have had this and what it was. Thank you.

/ Green with red JX55 - Leak #2  
Had it been sitting (not used) for a while when you noticed this, or was it shortly after shutting engine down? Could it just be coming out the overflow? Hope it's not the water pump.

/ Green with red JX55 - Leak
Hi BTDT, the tractor has been sitting a while. We keep it at a place that we get to about once a month. After I use it, I do usually notice a couple of drips, but when I checked on it last week after about 3 months, it had expanded to cover about a foot radius.

I'm hoping it's maybe the t-stat housing if anything to worry about. When I looked in the radiator, it was down about an inch or so. You think it might be the water pump?

/ Green with red JX55 - Leak #4  
I would look at hoses and make sure clamps are tight. Most water pumps have a weep hole in the bottom, that will drip if seal goes out or bearings start going out and tears up the seal. Grab the fanblade and shake it to see if it has any noticeable side to side or top to bottom play. If it does, bearings are gone/going and needs pump. Just have to look and see where it looks like the leak is coming from. Could a freeze plug have pushed out, did it get that cold there? Not sure how the water pump is situated on yours, but good luck.

Thank you. I'm going back to the farm in about 3 weeks in southern Illinois, it should be warm by then. I'll pm you or post what I found. Thanks for the advice.

/ Green with red JX55 - Leak #6  
Probably just a hose that needs tightened up. New hoses tend to need tightened after some use.

dqdave1 said:
Probably just a hose that needs tightened up. New hoses tend to need tightened after some use.

Hi Dave, that's what I'm hoping for. Thanks for the input.

/ Green with red JX55 - Leak #8  
good luck and tighten all hose clamps that you see.

Update:
I got the tractor out the other day and looked at it real good in the sun and with a shoplight. The leak was coming from the upper radiator hose that goes into the thermostat housing. Tightened her up real good and have a had a dry floor for two days straight. It would'a had a couple drips by now.

Thanks for your opinions all.

Joe

/ Green with red JX55 - Leak #10  
Joe, do they still have the weigh station there?