Steering hard while standing still?

/ Steering hard while standing still? #1  

agford4x4

Silver Member
Tractor
Case DX55
I have a question. I have a DX55, and while its not really a problem i have noticed that while sitting still, on a dry surface, the wheels will only cut about 90% of lock easily. After that, it will not turn any further until you inch forward or back. Depending on the surface im on, It can turn less...again, until you inch forward or back or even let it roll back even a little. It doesnt matter whether its loaded or not or what RPM its at. I was just wondering if this is just the natur eof the hydraulic system or what.

/ Steering hard while standing still? #2  
I'm not sure on your tractor but it's never a good idea to turn the steering wheel at a dead stop. With no forward or reverse movement it put's alot of strain on the steering gear box and linckage. It's always best to be moving at least a little when going from lock to lock.

/ Steering hard while standing still?
yeah, i know, i don't do regularly, but its something i noticed.

/ Steering hard while standing still? #4  
Some makes can and some can't, if you have a loader on put the bucket down and put it in float and see how it turns. Loaded front tires with a loader will also make it turn hard.

/ Steering hard while standing still? #5  
If this is a 4WD tractor it will make it even harder to turn while sitting still. what you describe is pretty much normal operation I would think. also if you are holding the brakes the tires will try and move the tractor when you cut hard....

Ben