Instrument cluster lights....strange

/ Instrument cluster lights....strange #1  

agford4x4

Silver Member
Tractor
Case DX55
I have a DX55 and was looking at the instrument cluster lights because it appeared as though one was out. It wasnt, but i did notice that i had a few bulbs in the cluster that don't do anything. I have a high beam indicator bulb, a pto engaged bulb and some kind of <> symbol bulb.

None of these ever come on, so i was wondering, why would case install the bulbs if they were never meant to be used? I don't have high/low beams, i just have headlights that are on or off. Ive never seen the pto light and the manual makes no reference to it, and the <> symbol i dont know about...

/ Instrument cluster lights....strange #2  
In some markets or on some models sharing components with your DX55, there are turn signals (<>), high beams for road use, and other functions which are apparently not on your DX. It's cheaper to make one instrument panel and leave some functions unused than it it to make several different panels.

My DX29 has the turn signals, for example, but no high beams. Instead, I have 4 bulbs light up whenever I turn the headlights on for a wide spread light pattern. I don't have brake lights, but some tractors do.

My Kubota had a horn, which seems ridiculous given how much noise it made, but it was apparently required in Japan at the time that tractor was built.

/ Instrument cluster lights....strange
That makes sense. It just seems with all the penny pinching some companies do these days, they would at least leave the bulbs out if they werent to be used. I know its only a few cents, but still.

/ Instrument cluster lights....strange #4  
They are probably put in when the panel is made by a machine and it would cost extra to have someone pull them out.

I have a daughter and son-in-law working as engineers in the automotive field, and believe me, every little step in the process from first CAD sketch to final assembly is carefully analyzed for a way to save even a fraction of a cent per unit.

It's kind of like backpacking in that each little bit adds up when you're looking at a big production run.

/ Instrument cluster lights....strange #5  
daTeacha said:
They are probably put in when the panel is made by a machine and it would cost extra to have someone pull them out.

I have a daughter and son-in-law working as engineers in the automotive field, and believe me, every little step in the process from first CAD sketch to final assembly is carefully analyzed for a way to save even a fraction of a cent per unit.

It's kind of like backpacking in that each little bit adds up when you're looking at a big production run.

Exactly and not only that but if the bulb where left out or removed then another whole part number and inventory would have to be kept especially if cluster wasn`t built at same location as tractor assembly.

/ Instrument cluster lights....strange #6  
daTeacha said:
My Kubota had a horn, which seems ridiculous given how much noise it made

My full sized industrial backhoe also has a horn...probably since it can be put on the road from time to time??

Aside from that logic, I find the horn VERY handy when I'm doing something and I want to (typically) get the wifes attention.

One "toot toot" and she's running my way with my drink of choice :rolleyes:

/ Instrument cluster lights....strange #7  
Look at the dash, door, of your road vehicle. Most cars, trucks, have all kinds of "future plugs" in the doors, dash, etc. I drive a 98 Dodge Dakota pickup with a plastic piece on the door handle armrest that can be popped out for installation of electric controls (mine has roll up windows and manual door locks).