International 340

/ International 340 #1  

PitbullMidwest

Platinum Member
Tractor
1998 Kubota L2900GST
I looked at an 1962 International 340 this weekend, 35 hp, gas, rebuilt about a year ago. The unit is very clean and was well maintained. The unit originally came with a 2 pt hitch and at some point they added a 3pt conversion kit. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this model? Does the 3pt conversion raise any concerns? The dealer wasn't sure if it used cat I or II implement and is supposed to call me back today.

I'll be using it mostly for brush cutting and grading. $3800.00 Your thoughts.

/ International 340 #2  
PitbullMidwest said:
I looked at an 1962 International 340 this weekend, 35 hp, gas, rebuilt about a year ago. The unit is very clean and was well maintained. The unit originally came with a 2 pt hitch and at some point they added a 3pt conversion kit. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this model? Does the 3pt conversion raise any concerns? The dealer wasn't sure if it used cat I or II implement and is supposed to call me back today.

I'll be using it mostly for brush cutting and grading. $3800.00 Your thoughts.

This is my opinion, there will be others. Unless you really like old tractors, get a more modern one. I had a 340 utility several years ago, it had the two point converted to 3 point. The oil pick-up point for the hydraulics is midway of the right side of the trans. case. Any substantial lean of the tractor to the left would cause the pump to loose prime. There is no position control for the hitch. The hitch won't have adjustments like later tractors. It is a heavy tractor if pulling ground breaking implements is one of your uses. There are lots of gas tractors out there for $4000 including Ford 3000 and MF 135. I like International tractors, I own a Case IH now. But after I got another tractor I saw all the shortcomings of outdated tractors such as the 340.

/ International 340
Gene,
Thanks for the feedback, nothing like the voice of experience. The unit is in very good shape but you hit all of my concerns square on the nailhead.

The search continues. Thanks again.