Ingersoll 4016

/ Ingersoll 4016 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm building a new home on 25 acres with about three mowable acres. I will have a 625 - 650 foot gravel driveway that will need to be cleared each winter.

I'm selling my 1991 Ingersoll 3012 - (12.5HP Vanguard TWIN- 44" DECK) it has been a great tractor, but I think I need to look for something a bit larger.

I found a 1994 Ingersoll 4016 (16HP ONAN TWIN - 48" DECK, SNOW BLOWER and CAB). I have yet to see it, of course the dealer says it's clean etc.

Any experience with the 4000 series? I imagine it's pretty comparable to the 3000 series only larger etc.

Sure, I'd like to buy a compact tractor but not this year.
Other considerations are older 400 series Deeres etc.

Thanks,

Kevin Barrett
Lowell, MI

/ Ingersoll 4016 #2  
Well, with having a 3012, you know how tough these things are. You will find the 4016 a lot more usefull around the land. I have a 87 444, an older model of the 40xx series, and I love it. I have done everything from bush wacking, mowing, to hualing trees out of the woods with it. You will also find the new one rides a little better on the lawn. This is becouse of the bigger rear tires. What will you give up? Not a lot. I also have a 80's 224, an older model of the 30xx series, and I can not think of anything the 224 does that the 444 can't. Its nice to see a person who has one of these fine tractors. There is not a lot of dealers around, so most people have never heard of them.

/ Ingersoll 4016 #3  
Kevin,

I don't know much about the Ingersoll line except that the tractors have a good reputation. However, I know a few guys who have older and late model JD 400 series tractors who swear by them. I have a 2000 445 that I have tooled up for uses similar to yours. What would be your price range for a used JD 400 series?

/ Ingersoll 4016 #4  
I have had several case ingersol units. They are great units. I currently have 2 448s which are the fore runners for the 4000 series. You have to watch out when buying implements as on the mower decks. The older series throws to left and the newer throws to the right. I like the older units because they are in my eyes better built. But that is my personal opinion.

/ Ingersoll 4016
I'm finding that both Ingersoll and Deere tend to hold their value better than I anticipated, so I might have to up my dollar range. It would be helpful to find something under $5,000 that has been taken care of.

I did see a 1999? 445 with 60" deck for $6300.00 and learned from someone on the gardenway forum that the 4016 is probably a 1992 instead of a 1994 because 94's didn't use ONANS.

The search is always half the fun.

Kevin Barrett
Lowell, MI

/ Ingersoll 4016 #6  
Kevin,

You can expect prices for used JD 400 series GTs to hold steady if not increase a bit this year. It's the first year of a new model year for JD and I hear the initial pricing on new 4XX and 5XX tractors are nearing the cost of the bottom of the 4X10 line. Deere is also expected to limit production on the newer models which will keep new GT prices stable and high.

All of this conspires to create demand for low-hour used models, e.g. 1999 - 2001 4X5s. Those who really want to buy a larger green GT are going to be seeking a limited supply of both new and used. This helps guys like me who may be selling a used 400 series within the next year /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. I think it will also help the solid mid-sized companies like Ingersoll.

Good luck,

/ Ingersoll 4016 #7  
Another quick thought, Kevin. There are a lot of solid, dependable Ford 'N' model tractors out there for under $3,000. Equipped with a five-foot+ Woods (or equal) 3PH finish mower and inexpensive rear blade you could cover your needs on 25 acres, 3 mowable, for a long, long time for under $5 grand. My neighbor uses that combination on an 8N for all kinds of work on a property that sounds like yours.

/ Ingersoll 4016
A friend of mine picked up an old Ford Jubilee with something like 2000 hours on it. Single arm front loader and brush hog for $5000.

Looks like a museum piece!

Kevin

/ Ingersoll 4016 #9  
I have a 448 but may be interested in your JD 4xx. Is it in MI? How much? what model? what attachements? Does it have differntial lock?

Tim

/ Ingersoll 4016 #10  
My mane is chuck. I have a 4016 that i want to sell. it is a great tractor. i used it on my 6 acreas that i lived at before. I used the snow blower attatchment to clear the 400ft driveway. It was incredable! I almost couldn't wait for it to snow. I also used the plow blade with good results.
the ride is great. the only minor complaint that i have, is that the mower deck is a little trouble to take off.