Case 446

/ Case 446 #1  

Ken Cunningham

Gold Member
I was browesing thru here and noticed that there wasnt much posted about these little case tractors. I know that people up north see these all the time, but there arent nearly as many down south. Anyways here are some pics of it when i got it and some after i spruced it up some. I have put a seat on it since these pics were taken, but these are the only pics i have right now. I got a push blade for the front and really like the way it performs in the dirt. I still havent gotten around to the box blade yet. This tractor is all hydraulic drive and lift. The muffler you see on this was made from scratch due to the high cost of oem mufflers and the unavailability of the exhaust pipes.

Attachments

• ken 001 (Large).jpg
    ken 001 (Large).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 4,719
  • ken 002 (Large).jpg
    ken 002 (Large).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 2,925
  • DSC04735 (Large) (2).JPG
    DSC04735 (Large) (2).JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 5,038
  • DSC04738 (Large) (2).JPG
    DSC04738 (Large) (2).JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 2,959
   / Case 446 #2  
That's a good looking Case! I really like those old Case mowers and modern Ingersoll units. I really like that they are all hydraulic drive, including attachments. When I was shopping for a new mower a few years ago, I would've loved to have bought an Ingersoll, but there are no close stocking dealers here in Upstate, SC.

/ Case 446 #3  
When I was in high school (1960's) I worked at a lawn mower shop that sold Case lawn tractors and I was impressed then about how few came back for repair. Fast forward to 1999 and I needed a new lawn tractor so I got a new Ingersoll and it is virtually unchanged from the old 1960's version. All metal construction and bullet proof drivetrain. All I've done since I bought it is change the oil and grease it (yes it has grease fittings :D).

Nice fabrication job on the muffler - parts are spendy or so I hear.

/ Case 446 #4  
I've reworked a couple of Cub cadets and so I have an appreciation for the amount of work it took to get that Case looking that sharp. It really looks great in your pictures.

I've only seen one or two Cases tractors like yours for sale in middle Tennessee that I can remember. I see a few more Cub Cadets and then some Gravelys for sale, but like I said, only a couple of these Case tractors like yours.

I was sort of scared to get into a Case because I don't know much about them, their typical problems, and parts availability. Any tips on what to look for and what to pay for one?

/ Case 446 #5  
A dairy farmer in Minnesota that I worked for in the late 70's had one similar to this one, and have to say I do not think I had ever been on a better machine than that.

/ Case 446
From what i have learned about these little tractors is that the onan engine is not cheap when it comes time to work on it. However the one in this one seems to be in fine shape, i hope that it continues to be that way. It is my understanding that a complete rebuild will cost around 1700.00. The whole tractor is pretty much bullet proof. The design of them hasnt changed much over the years. Parts arent real expensive, but when you are buying alot of them it sure adds up. There are several trator forums dedicated to the case garden tractors, and you can get alot of help there. I bought all of my parts from a dealer in MI and just had them mailed to me. If you ever run accross Brian Hildreth in the case forums, you can count on him to help you out.

As far as what one would be worth, i really dont know what to say. I guess it depends on the condition and how much you want it. To be truthfully honest, i would not have bought this thing if i knew how much it was gonna cost to fix it up. Now that i have done it though, i should have a very dependable tractor for years to come. I just need to take very good care of that engine. This tractor was built in 1979 and it will probably be still running when i kick the bucket.

There are lots of attachments that can be used with these tractors. I have a sleeve hitch on this one, but 3pt are available. The front end have a quick attach system to bolt on snow blowers, push blades, and hydravacs. I didnt get a deck with mine and probably will not have one in the forseeable future, due to the fact that most of the hardware is up north. I bought mine mainly to keep up with the ruts that are caused by the water running acrross my property.

/ Case 446 #7  
I spent too much on my first cub rebuild and after that I've been more selective in what I buy to fix up.

/ Case 446 #8  
There is a local guy here in SE Michigan that is always advertising to sell Case / Ingersoll used parts. If you do a search in the metro Detroit Craigslist for Ingersoll or Case, you'll find him quick.

/ Case 446 #9  
I have a 1971 Case 220. It's the baby of them. I have the snow blower that i'm trying to sell it's on here a few post down. I have the mower deck i think its a 38" and i have the plow for it. i wish it looked has nice has yours. I had the motor rebuilt back in 05 and that was $650.00 with a 6 month warranty. This last year i had to buy a new carb and fuel pump for it now it still having trouble. It is leaking oil out of the head bolts so i need to figure that one out. Im in south east Michigan and the closest shop around that i know of is in Ida and there is one near Lansing.

/ Case 446 #10  
From what i have learned about these little tractors is that the onan engine is not cheap when it comes time to work on it. However the one in this one seems to be in fine shape, i hope that it continues to be that way. It is my understanding that a complete rebuild will cost around 1700.00. The whole tractor is pretty much bullet proof. The design of them hasnt changed much over the years. Parts arent real expensive, but when you are buying alot of them it sure adds up. There are several trator forums dedicated to the case garden tractors, and you can get alot of help there. I bought all of my parts from a dealer in MI and just had them mailed to me. If you ever run accross Brian Hildreth in the case forums, you can count on him to help you out.

As far as what one would be worth, i really dont know what to say. I guess it depends on the condition and how much you want it. To be truthfully honest, i would not have bought this thing if i knew how much it was gonna cost to fix it up. Now that i have done it though, i should have a very dependable tractor for years to come. I just need to take very good care of that engine. This tractor was built in 1979 and it will probably be still running when i kick the bucket.

There are lots of attachments that can be used with these tractors. I have a sleeve hitch on this one, but 3pt are available. The front end have a quick attach system to bolt on snow blowers, push blades, and hydravacs. I didnt get a deck with mine and probably will not have one in the forseeable future, due to the fact that most of the hardware is up north. I bought mine mainly to keep up with the ruts that are caused by the water running acrross my property.
I have a case 448(18 hp onan)engine.I also live in southern Michigan,can you PM me the michigan dealers name you use to get your parts from.Thank you,coobie