Case 446 engine info

/ Case 446 engine info #1  

Dr Natedogg

Tractor
74' Case 446
Anyone have advice for the 16hp onan??? Just wondering why it self idles up and down on it's own? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

/ Case 446 engine info #2  
Most likely culprit is a leak in the intake manifold, but here is some more food for thought.

Lean fuel mixture ie leak in the intake manifold
Dirty carb
Dirty fuel filter
Defective fuel pump
Valve or Valve seat leaking

Gov. linkage not adjusted properly, worn, or binding.

/ Case 446 engine info
Thanks Ken, I guess I have some investigating to do. The tractor was given to me for 3 weeks to see if I want to buy it. It came with the snowblower, the mower and a brand new push blade. He wants $1000 if I decide to keep it. Not sure what to do as I'm not that mechanically inclined.

/ Case 446 engine info #4  
If you are not mechanically inclined, then perhaps you should give this tractor a pass and just buy yourself something brand new with a warranty from one of the local big-box stores.

Owning a used garden tractor that is at least 23 years old means that things are wearing out and will need replacement. It will be an ongoing ritual that will require an investment in tools as well as time on forums to learn how to address the problems. For some people, this is just not what they want to deal with and I think that you should be told this up-front.

For those who are into mechanical issues and are not afraid to get their hands dirty on a regular basis, the ownership of a Case GT can be very rewarding thanks to the abilities this tractor has over anything sold in HD, Lowe's, Ace or other places including Sears.

The replacement cost of the basic 446 is about $7,000.00 today with the deck. They are a high quality tractor and that's why it has lasted for all these years. If the Utility Blade is brand new and is an OEM blade, then the asking price for this tractor is quite reasonable, in spite of any minor issues it may have. However........ paying some shop to repair this tractor will get old and very expensive. Doing the work yourself is the only reasonable alternative.

Give this some serious thought before making the plunge.

/ Case 446 engine info
Thanks for the honest advice but I want the tractor because : a) I really wanna learn about mechanics more and I wanna get my hands dirty and b) I want the 446 cause I had this exact same tractor when I was a kid. It was my first business. I loved that tractor and have many found memories on it. I'm just wondering if this engine issue of idling up and down by itself when in low idle is a deal breaker. The push blade is made by case stored inside with all the parts and never been used. The snow blower was used for one season before the gentleman passed away and never ran again. The mower deck has a missing center blade but other than that it's in pretty fair condition. Oh and it comes with tire chains too. I think the attachments alone should be worth the $1000 dollars but just a little hesitant if the engine is shot. It sat for 16 years in a shop and when I put a new battery and new fuel in it she fired with in 5 seconds of turning the key.

/ Case 446 engine info #6  
Fun little tractors. My parents had one when I was growing up and my uncle bought a 444 also. Sure could push snow when we put chains on the rear tires. Noticeable difference between the two tractors when turning the rototiller. I think one pump was really warn compared to the other.

/ Case 446 engine info #7  
My dads with the Oman also had overheating issues. He had a locol mechanic/body man cut out the top of the hood and replace it with a louvered section. That solved the heat issue and it was done well, looked factory.

/ Case 446 engine info
Also when I took it for a spin to check all the gears (hi and lo) I noticed it sometimes won't switch between the two. Its hard to get it into hi when I'm in lo and then hard to go from lo to hi again. Really weird. No noticeable bend in the hydraulic gear bolt. Any advice???

/ Case 446 engine info #9  
The toughness switching between high and low was common. Especially if there was any pressure on it. Try wiggling the forward/reverse lever as you are switching. I think this is what I uses to do

/ Case 446 engine info
Yeah that's kinda what I was doing, so you think it's synonymous with these older tractors? I was thinking maybe the gears inside were not aligning properly. It takes a long time to get it back and forth through the high and low range. Like 5 minutes atleast of screwing around. The problem is that I know piss all about the hydraulic drive system or any system for that matter. I know a guy who has a 446 in good condition who parked it after the clutch went. He said it runs like a top and been stored inside since new. I could probably get a second parts tractor for about $400. Think I'd be crazy not too cause it comes with 2 attachments. **** he'd probably give it to me. Gonna go get it when I get time