Old 442 dying, CPR not worken.

/ Old 442 dying, CPR not worken. #1  

hopelesscase

Tractor
442 case
My ole 442 has run trouble free for 8 years now, but that has changed.
It started to run bad, just missing, then not being able to add power with out it
all most dying out. So I took the carb from my other 442case an it made no diff.
Slowly it got worse. Would barely idle. Put the coil, plug , cond from the good tractor, and now as you start it the eng fires the odd time but thats it. Installed points, checked all the wires, checked for broken valve springs, now it doesnt even have spark at the points. Its going down hill fast nothing I do makes a diff.
Im worried its the broken key in the flywheel syndrom.( I put all the parts back and that tractor runs again.)
Hope you guys have ideas I havent thought of.
Thanks

/ Old 442 dying, CPR not worken. #2  
Welcome to TBN!

Sorry that your trusty tractor is letting you down. The first thing that comes to mind is timing. Have you checked? Any slop in the distributor?

/ Old 442 dying, CPR not worken. #3  
So you getting spark yes?
Are you getting it at the right time?
got plenty of fuel getting to the carby?
You need to sort out first is it electrical or fuel.
Is it lack of spark or spark at wrong time etc.
These are not a complicated engine.

/ Old 442 dying, CPR not worken.
So you getting spark yes?
Are you getting it at the right time?
got plenty of fuel getting to the carby?
You need to sort out first is it electrical or fuel.
Is it lack of spark or spark at wrong time etc.
These are not a complicated engine.

It is getting fuel, the way it sits right now it doesnt even have spark
anymore. It was running bad and getting worse an now no spark.
Is that a sign of a broken flywheel key or ignition? Not sure what else
it could be. Pullen that flywheel is a PITA Im guessing and I dont want
to do it and find out its good.

Update. I went to work on the ole girl, start taken they flywheel off but decided to give it one last shot.
Sure enough it started. Still the same run poor and when I go to throttle it up miss and sprays fuel out the carb.
Does this thing have a decompression valve? could it be that? Timing seems good.
Then get this, I pulled of the plug wire and it idled the same. I moved the wire well away and she kept running, and
if I throttled it up with no plug wire it idled the same. Never Knew that was possible.
I took a video of it but the **** sound doesnt work. Will try later with a diff camara.

/ Old 442 dying, CPR not worken. #6  
Then get this, I pulled of the plug wire and it idled the same. I moved the wire well away and she kept running, and
if I throttled it up with no plug wire it idled the same. Never Knew that was possible.
I took a video of it but the **** sound doesnt work. Will try later with a diff camara.

Sounds like you either have a bad spark plug or no compression in that cylinder. It could also be a bad plug lead or distributor cap. The first thing I would do is take out that spark plug and just look at it and see what kind of condition its in. Do a compression test on the cylinder. If you don't have a tester simply block the spark plug hole with your thumb and crank the engine over (with ignition off) that will show if you have any compression at all

Sounds like you either have a bad spark plug or no compression in that cylinder. It could also be a bad plug lead or distributor cap. The first thing I would do is take out that spark plug and just look at it and see what kind of condition its in. Do a compression test on the cylinder. If you don't have a tester simply block the spark plug hole with your thumb and crank the engine over (with ignition off) that will show if you have any compression at all

I did hold the plug hole closed and it seemed to have lots of compression. I had tried another plug lead when I put the coil and condenser and plug from my other case.
Could a bad ground could be the problem, because some how that spark plug was lighting up with the plug wire off and well away.
might be two diff problems cause that still doesnt explain the fuel spraying out the carb when I throttle it up and then idle fine.
Still stumped.

Well, I got the ole girl going and she runs better than ever.
I had a gut feeling I should go and look at my sons 442 cause
the wiring was redone on my 2nd 442. And sure enough there
were some diff. The purple wire that was just hanging there does
not go on the solinoid. thats were the running with no plug wire comes into play i think.
Because both tractors had the same issue I knew it was some thing I did. When I first took
my coil off to test it I marked the wires very clearly and tried the other coil but had no change, and
thats because I had the wire for the ign together with the cond wire, when the wire for the points and the wire
for cond go together and the ign is on a post alone. Why it ran that way for 8 yrs and then stopped is still beyond me.
Took it out and it runs easier and better than ever.
Thanks for your help. This was a strange one.