case 446

/ case 446 #11  
It looks like some case tractors had hydraullic tillers.

This person has a hydraullic 3 pt hitch, and a hydraullic powered tiller.
- Case and Ingersoll Garden Tractors

You might also be able to get a hydraullic drive motor powering a PTO, although the length may be an issue.

/ case 446 #12  
My apologies...I am new at this and clearly thought I was looking at something that WAS related to the PTO kit. Thanks for the info and correction.

The rear PTO kit is an optional piece of equipment that extends the use of the tractor by allowing the owner to power attachments such as a log splitter, rough cut field mower, finishing mower, vacuum units, chipper/shredder and rototiller.

It looks like some case tractors had hydraullic tillers.

All of this series of Case garden tractors use hydraulic attachments that hydrive listed above.

[/QUOTE]This person has a hydraullic 3 pt hitch, and a hydraullic powered tiller.
- Case and Ingersoll Garden Tractors [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]You might also be able to get a hydraullic drive motor powering a PTO, although the length may be an issue.[/QUOTE]

This is the PTO needed. It is not a mechanical shaft like a farm tractor.

Case PTO (2).jpg Case PTO.jpg Case PTO (1) (Medium).jpg

/ case 446 #13  
Clifford K has kindly provided a link to a gallery of photos that depict Charlie's early 446 Case that he has modified extensively. Charlie added his own flow control to the left side of the dash tower and a selector valve to the right side. The three point hitch is one that Charlie made for his tractor. The big red tall thing in the final photo is actually a hydraulic post hole digger Charlie designed and built for his tractor. That is the beauty of the Case hydraulic drive garden tractors. All sorts of hydraulic devices can be powered off the rear PTO valve.

Many thanks to Xfaxman for the three photos he supplied. The left one shows a factory J-26 three point hitch with the F-27 Sleeve Hitch Adapter connected to it. With those two items, the owner can hook up a wide array of attachments. The PTO valve is shown on the left side of the tractor next to the left fender and just behind the seat. The middle photo shows a PTO Kit by itself. There are the two long steel hydraulic lines, the mounting bracket with the valve attached and the hydraulic looping hose with quick couplers.

The right hand photo shows the PTO kit installed on a typical tractor by itself.

If you walked into a Case dealer back in the day, your Bill of Sale would show the price you paid for the basic tractor because that is how these tractors were sold. You then selected which size of mower deck you wanted and a separate price would be shown for that. If you wished to be able to rototill your garden, then you would need a sleeve hitch, a rear PTO kit to power the tiller and the Case H or J-70 hydraulic drive tiller. In addition, the dealer would have strongly recommended a D-10 wheel weight kit for the rear wheels, tire chains, a Flow Control Valve for better slow-speed control and a Front Weight kit to balance off the weight of the rear mounted tiller. If you want AG style bar tread tires instead of the Turf tires, then those could be had at the time of purchase.

The complete line of Brinly-Hardy aftermarket implements were available from the Case dealer. Therefore, single-furrow ploughs, single and double disc harrows, spring-tooth harrows, lawn rollers, aerators, seed planters, fertilizer spreaders, tool bars, thatchers and so forth could be had. Other suppliers to Case such as Hudson offered spraying equipment. There were also front mounted power brooms for sweeping, dump carts, snow blowers, utility blades for snow and dirt moving. There are many that I have not listed. There was no need for a mechanical PTO at the rear but there was a front-mounted 540 PTO that could power grain augers and hay elevators. Most of these attachments could be used on any of the Case garden tractors.

/ case 446 #14  
So, what the "kit" is essentially a hydraulic control valve, connected to the main hydraulic system for the tractor.

There would be 3 types of hydraulic valves. A bucket uses an intermittant valve.
A hydraulic motor would need to stay on or off, and possibly adjust for speed.
A 3 pt hitch is usually positional in some fashion, but could be done with the intermittant valve.

What about these vales off of a Case 155 tractor?
Case 155 Tractor Hydraulic Control Valve | eBay
Case 155 Tractor Hydraulic Drive Control Valve | eBay

You would need to add an appropriate handle, as well as hoses.

I'm also seeing valves that look like this, but I think it may be for something different.
Case 446 Tractor Hydraulic Control Valve | eBay

/ case 446 #15  
So, what the "kit" is essentially a hydraulic control valve, connected to the main hydraulic system for the tractor.

There would be 3 types of hydraulic valves. A bucket uses an intermittant valve.
A hydraulic motor would need to stay on or off, and possibly adjust for speed.
A 3 pt hitch is usually positional in some fashion, but could be done with the intermittant valve.

What about these vales off of a Case 155 tractor?
Case 155 Tractor Hydraulic Drive Control Valve | eBay

You would need to add an appropriate handle, as well as hoses.

I'm also seeing valves that look like this, but I think it may be for something different.
Case 446 Tractor Hydraulic Control Valve | eBay

The first three e-Bay offerings are travel valves removed from 155 Case garden tractors. These are motor control valves that allow the flow of oil to be metered out to the drive motor starting with a small amount to full output. The purpose is to control the ground speed of the tractor as well as the direction. They are unsuitable for use as a PTO valve because the 155 hydraulic system is 1600 PSI max. I have doubts whether the relief in those valves could be adjusted to the 2200 PSI needed. It simply isn't worth all the hassle to try and make it work.

The last e-Bay offering is for a regular Travel/Lift valve used sometime in the early 80's. While this valve does have a relief that could be adjusted higher, you also have the lift spool in that casting. If you have no need for another spool to control a 575 PSI hydraulic circuit, then what's the point? With this valve, you have to find a suitable place to mount it and then you have to create control handles for it that will lock in the wide open position in both directions.

An OEM PTO valve is designed as an On-Off-On switch. The spools are not machined to meter oil. They are designed to go from full off to full on because the motors powering the attachments are supposed to run with 100 percent oil flow at all times. Granted... no one likes shelling out 200 bucks for a PTO kit plus the shipping but.. that's the current price of admission to the amusement park. Either pay it or return home to your swing in the backyard. Keep in mind that a new Ingersoll basic tractor alone is 8000 bucks and once you start adding options and attachments, it goes up rapidly from there. If you buy a used Mercedes-Benz, the parts are not discounted just because your Benz is 20 years old and only worth 1500 dollars. I'm not trying to be a smart-***. I'm just telling it as it is. You are either in this snack bracket or you are not.