Ingersol 4016 starting problems

/ Ingersol 4016 starting problems #1  

Dave Joaquin

Tractor
Ingersol 4016
Well now that is getting cold outside here in NH, my 4016 starts with the key, other wise in the spring, summer, and most of the fall I have to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and she fires right up. I have the BS Vanguard engine, twin cylinder. Any suggestions out there? I hate electrical problems! If I have to rip the dash board out and find that neutral safety switch I will because it will soon start snowing. I'd like to fix it before I put the snowblower attachment on.

/ Ingersol 4016 starting problems #2  
The solenoid does not see ground unless the PTO switch is turned off, the Travel Lever is absolutely in neutral and on some models... the Operator is sitting in the seat to operate the seat switch.

Presumably, the solenoid is not the actual problem because it works flawlessly in colder temps. You are going to have to conduct your own diagnostics here to isolate the problem. Check the plug on the PTO switch. Does it show any signs of heat damage? Can you see any corrosion in the terminals? Is there dielectric grease in that plug to ward off corrosion? Do you have a seat switch? Have you tried wiggling the Travel Lever while holding the key to the START position whenever the engine refuses to turn over? Do you own an Operator's Manual so that you can see how your tractor is wired?

/ Ingersol 4016 starting problems
Hydriv, thank you. Good tips and I'll try some. I do have a manual and I think the culprit is the neutral switch. I just have to find its location.

/ Ingersol 4016 starting problems #4  
The neutral safety switch is mounted under the face of the dash, right where the Travel Lever is located. There are two different Parts Manuals for the 4016's plus one more that covers the 4016PS models. If you don't have that manual, then you can send me a PM and I will see if I can help you further.

Hydriv, thank you very much! You've been very helpful and I will tackle this Thanksgiving week, I'm off so I'll have plenty time to figure this out. I did order a switch from O'Neil's so as long as I can locate it I'll change it out. Judging by the looks of the switch, it"s a lever type I can understand why this may be the culprit, it's pretty flimsy. I'll reply with my results. I do have a complete manual for the tractor and all my attachments. For some reason though O'Neil's still owes me a mower deck drive belt, they tell Ingersol is the problem. Steve from there told me to go buy a 1/2" x 72" belt as a backup. Apparently, the Ingersol belt is 72 1/4" long and he said should work fine.

/ Ingersol 4016 starting problems #6  
The very best belts are the OEM belts that come through the Ingersoll dealers. Make no mistake about that. If you go looking for a belt elsewhere, make sure that it has Aramid or Kevlar construction or it won't last very long. Many OEM Ingersoll belts are actually 9/16" in width and that size is nearly impossible to find. Because the 1/2" belt will sit slightly lower in the pulleys, the slightly shorter belt will work but it is not quite as good as OEM. Another option would be to choose a 5/8" belt at 72 1/2", if you can find that.

Hydriv, good point on the belts, I did buy a Kevlar belt but at 1/2 wide. I am an engineer ( machinist by trade) so I have my connections. That belt has been on back order for more than a year! I was checking out what I'm up against and finding the neutral switch, it appears it's going to take a bit to get at it.

/ Ingersol 4016 starting problems #8  
You would probably benefit from having a Parts Manual that is correct for the serial number of your tractor. Feel free to send me a PM and I will see what I can do to help you obtain one on line.

Hydriv I do have a complete set of Ingersol manuals for my tractor and all 3 attachments. I intend on tackling this Thanksgiving week and at the same time I usually get her ready for the winter, along with my snowblower and generator. I'll keep you posted and there's a good chance I may be asking you for some advice.

Hydriv, well I attempted to fix my starting problem and failed. It appears the neutral switch was fine, I swapped them both out ( pain in the butt that was) and same results. I need to check the ignition switch somehow, I noticed when I turn the key all the way I don't hear the clicking sound, but with the key in the on position I can still start by jumping the solenoid. I need to buy a ohm meter first and figure this out.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave