3 pt. plans

/ 3 pt. plans #1  

BowlBuilder

Tractor
1985 Case/Ingersoll 448
I've seen the three point plans on a lot of sites. I believe they originated on the Yahoo group. My question is: Has anyone seen a drawing or set of plans for the HH-34 hitch? BTW, here is a three point hitch which sold on ebay lately which seems to be well thought out and executed. Seems to be a fair price for what you're getting.
Case Ingersoll Garden Tractor Lawn Mower 446 Heavy Duty 3 Point Hitch New | eBay

/ 3 pt. plans #2  
The drawing for the 3 point hitch plans came about from a collaboration between Grummy and myself. I supplied him with all the dimensions from my own 3 point along with a series of photos and he came up with the CAD print and yes... that was done when both of us were on the Yahoo CCI site about 5 or so years back. As far as I know, no one has done the same thing for the HH-34 but I expect that will happen in the near future now that more and more 3000/4000 models are being sold for cheap money.

The hitch that sold on e-Bay does look well-made and I agree that the selling price was fair because after all, it is not an OEM hitch where one can go to a dealer and obtain parts if something breaks. If he is just doing these as one-off's, he's not making much money on them at that price once you factor in what e-Bay and Paypal rip him off for.

/ 3 pt. plans
The other piece appears to be a mule drive set up for a 3 pt. hitch. Correct me if I'm wrong. What advantages would this have? I've seen them on the front of some tractors from overseas, but never on a Case/Ingersoll tractor. Which implements might be viable for use with this set up? Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Robert Hite

/ 3 pt. plans #4  
Unfortunately, that other item must be sold. I clicked on See Seller's other items but came up blank. You may still be able to see that auction because of having viewed it while it was still active and it is residing in your computer's history. If you can still view that item, then bring it back up, take note of the either the listing number or the entire URL and post it here in this thread.

Neither Colt nor Case nor Ingersoll ever offered any sort of mule drive to work with their 3 point hitch nor were there any attachments made by these companies that were driven mechanically. All attachments that required a rotary force utilized a hydraulic motor and simply plugged into the rear PTO valve to obtain hydraulic power.

I have seen a couple of hydraulic 540 PTO's that were designed to mount on the rear of the actual tractor but not on a hitch. Those were homemade. Case and Ingersoll also offered mechanical 540 RPM PTO drives that were belt driven off the mechanical PTO clutch on the front of the engine. These were designed to run a bale elevator, grain auger or other such farm machinery that required relatively low HP input. The first design mounted on the left side of the early 100 Series tractors built in the late 60's. The later design was from the early to mid 80's and mounted as a Snap Fast attachment.

There was no pressing need for this item to be introduced but the government initiated a program that removed the sales tax from garden tractors providing they could be used as a legitimate piece of farming equipment.

/ 3 pt. plans
Unfortunately, I never viewed his other auction with the other item so I can tell you absolutely nothing about it. I only saw it in the ad that was posted and was curious about it's possible uses. Thank you.

/ 3 pt. plans #7  
I see that he has one bid on it, anyway. It is certainly well made BUT..... the logic behind it fails me because I truly don't see the need for such a bracket. Most owners are quite happy with the Snap Fast 44 and 54 inch utility blades and the only improvement many would like to see is power angling.

As for front counterweights, many owners have modified the mule bracket from an old mower deck so they can mount weights of their choice onto it. No one seems to be complaining about the lack of available mule brackets or that they are not strong enough for the task at hand. The front of these tractors is not well suited to install some sort of crane on it. The rear of the tractor is a much better spot for that. For those reasons, I think that he's barking up the wrong tree with this one.

/ 3 pt. plans #8  
He said on the "other" site he's made 4 of the 3 point hitches. Im sure if someone were to contact him he would probably make one to order. His name on you know where is Jackson.

The HH-34's are still commanding 600-750 dollars on the used market, so at 500 he would have a market. The J-26 style hitches aren't very good imo, and that will help him sell his.

/ 3 pt. plans #9  
The H-26 and J-26 hitches were all that were available from 1972 until 1988 and I never heard any complaints about them. The HH-34 came about in 1989 when Ingersoll revamped the tractor line and decided to make ONE three point hitch that could be used on the loader tractors and the High Wheel models instead of having two different hitches. They went one step further by making the HH-34 adaptable to the Low Pro tractors, which were previously denied the 3 pt. hitch as an option.

I agree that the HH-34 is a superior design to the older 26 units. This is an instance where the individual must decide whether to go with an OEM 26, an OEM 34 or purchase an aftermarket hitch. It all depends on what your motives are in acquiring a hitch. If you have a 3 digit model that you have restored and you want to keep it original, then one of the 26 hitches is the obvious choice. But if you have a "work tractor", then the aftermarket might be an excellent choice due to the better pricing.

/ 3 pt. plans
Thank you both for your valued opinions. Have a good day, gentlemen.