Recent buys

/ Recent buys #1  

PAT1

Tractor
Ford 1500, Shibaura,Case, Gravely,Snappin` Turtle
I picked up 2 Case GTs in an auction recently....a 76` 446 and `72 444 Demonstrator. I got the 446 going with a points clean and started right up but appears to have carb issues. Mows like it should but seems to be connected to the lift wrong.
There was no key with the Demon and has been used pretty good but seems to be complete with the lift cylinder on 3 Pt in place but missing some hardware there. I would like to save the keyless switch to use for restore maybe but may get a replacement switch to use for now. What would be the chance a of finding a key to fit. It is a long key...not the short standard lawnmower switch.. Doubt that there were to many different keys for the Culver-Stearns switch.
Condition unknown on how its runs yet. Will try to gets some pics up soon.

/ Recent buys #2  
Presumably, you bought those two tractors on September 20th at the Ronnie Collier auction in Sweetwater. Ronnie was liquidating the collection of the late Al Henderson, a friend of mine.

If the switch in the Demo is the correct one for that tractor, then new keys should be available. Contact Bob Meyers at Case, Colt and Ingersoll Garden Tractor Parts.

If you intend to restore the Demo, then you need to find another 72 444 with a good hood and fenders. Do not alter the original Demo fenders in any way. Remove them and store them away. Those items are your ONLY proof the tractor began life as a Demo. If I remember correctly, the 72 hood is different from the later hoods. It has a bolt in the middle of it near the dash that holds a cross brace and hood catch.

What did you end up paying for the Demo?

/ Recent buys
Presumably, you bought those two tractors on September 20th at the Ronnie Collier auction in Sweetwater. Ronnie was liquidating the collection of the late Al Henderson, a friend of mine.

If the switch in the Demo is the correct one for that tractor, then new keys should be available. Contact Bob Meyers at Case, Colt and Ingersoll Garden Tractor Parts.

If you intend to restore the Demo, then you need to find another 72 444 with a good hood and fenders. Do not alter the original Demo fenders in any way. Remove them and store them away. Those items are your ONLY proof the tractor began life as a Demo. If I remember correctly, the 72 hood is different from the later hoods. It has a bolt in the middle of it near the dash that holds a cross brace and hood catch.

What did you end up paying for the Demo?

I figured you would probably know where they came from HyDriv....
I`ll probably keep it as is ...give it a good clean-up and see what kind of shape it is in . I`ve got other stuff to use for the work around here and the 446 if I keep it. I actually am interested in them for garden tilling between rows and started to bid on one of the 222`s because it is several inches narrower but didn`t know if I could get a matching tiller for the 222.
I asked for a quick education on the Case stuff on another forum a few days before the auction, after I saw the collection on my way home from work.
I actually paid a little more for the 446 and they were both shamefully cheap ! I`ve probably seen one or two around here but don`t really remember it. The local lawnmower shop has never seen one. Most of the people around here at the auction didn`t know about them at all.

/ Recent buys #4  
All of the 41" hydraulic tillers can be made narrower by removing the section of tines along with the shield on one side or the other, depending upon the model. The Tiller can also be offset slightly, thanks to the multiple mounting holes found in the Sleeve Hitch itself and also the Sleeve Hitch Adapter used on 3 point hitches.

Perhaps you would like to send me an e-mail containing your recollections of the prices paid at that auction.

/ Recent buys
There were about 25 machines ....some without engines, some with out mowers, some with engines and no mower etc.....probably 10-15 that were complete, albeit flat tires etc. The highest price was a 646 in less than great shape and a front bucket for 425$.....most of the rest were less than 300$ down to about 100 for parts tractors.

/ Recent buys #6  
When I heard that Al's collection had gone to auction in Tennessee, I was deeply concerned that prices paid would be exceptionally low and it appears that I was right. A complete 646 that is running but showing wear and tear, should have brought at least $1200.00. Any Case garden tractor that was running should have brought $400.00 minimum even without a deck. The Black Knight, if advertised widely on Craigslist or on e-Bay could have brought at least $700.00.

There was a stack of D-10 cast iron wheel weights that routinely bring $100.00 EACH on e-Bay.

What's done is done. Al's widow no longer has to deal with any of this and she can move on.

/ Recent buys
I can`t say that I`ve seen one here...seen some on the web. I drive by the auction site every day on the way to work and keep an eye on it . When I saw the lot of mowers I had to stop and see what they were...although my interest has been in the larger compact tractor market more so than lawn mower genre....mostly the smaller Fords. Most everybody that I talked to at the auction didn`t know much about them. Al`s cousin I think , was there and we talked quite a bit before the auction. He was disappointed too. He picked up one and a tiller and some other small items. I got a good quick education from some guys on GT talk forum and decided to give it a try come auction day. I thought they would go for at least twice what they did .....especially the Black Knight. I`ll probably keep it for a while anyway and maybe see about bring it back to a really good state at least if not a full on restore. It`s not bad at all although part of the decal on the fenders has been worn of on the top. Needs a good clean up and some leaky stuff fixed to start.

/ Recent buys
Finally got fool with the Black Knight a little and found out it was missing the volt reg, solenoid, key for the switch.....found them on Ebay for reasonable. Now to get them on and see if this thing will run. Seems to have pretty good compression.