4020 Newbie Questions

/ 4020 Newbie Questions #1  

Manila Mike

Tractor
Ingersoll 4020PS
Hi All,
I just bought an Ingersoll 4020 PS. In fact, I have not even brought it home yet. According to the serial number, it looks like a 1995 model with 750 hours on it. It only has a mower deck with it. I'm pretty sure the seller did not really know what he had. I bought it for $600. :)

I'd love to have a blade, three point hitch, a rototiller... and the Hydraulic PTO kit for this. But I don't have to have anything right away. I found a few items on ebay but they seemed to be more money than I paid for my tractor. But I suppose there are a few owners waiting for great deals on attachments.

I have a question about an electrical connection on the back of my tractor. It looks sorta like the kind of thing you'd see on the back of a pickup for plugging in trailer lights. What is this used for?

I also want to kinda go through the tractor and fix any possible problems, or future problems. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Any tips or tricks I should know?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Manila Mike

/ 4020 Newbie Questions #2  
Congratulations on your recent purchase. However, most Ingersoll enthusiasts would characterize this as Grand Theft. LOL I think that you could put this on Craigslist today and sell it quickly for twice that amount. The 4020PS is considered to be the Mac Daddy of all the tractors made by Ingersoll up to the introduction of the 4223 PS by Eastman.

A brand new HH34 three point hitch has a list price of more than $1000.00 at the dealer. The PTO kit lists for around $700.00. You will also need an F26 Sleeve Hitch Adapter worth $200.00 to mount the tiller. A new tiller is around $2000.00. A new 4223PS lists for around $8500.00 plus another $1800.00 for the mower deck.

You now own a premium quality, full fledged garden tractor..... not some box store lawn tractor that has limited capabilities. As such, you need to understand that even the used attachments bring good money.

Realistically, expect to pay 550 to 650 for a used HH-34 three point hitch.

Used PTO valves sell for 200 to 250

Used Sleeve Hitch Adapters bring 150

Used tillers sell for 250 to 600 depending upon condition and style. The earlier H-70 and J-70 tillers are of the center drive style with tine shafts on either side of the chain case. The later Sidewinder tiller has the motor and chain case on the left side and the opposite end of the tine shaft is supported by the end plate on the right side.

750 hours on the clock is not very much. This tractor is new to you and you likely have no service history for it. Therefore, now is the best time to create a Maintenance Log Book that shows the date work is performed, the hour reading, what was done, what was used and the costs of the items used. All invoices should be kept with that Log Book or in a special folder.

Change the engine oil and the oil filter.

Change out the hydraulic oil and filter. Refill with 15W40 motor oil. Shell's Rotella T is a good choice. The system will take about 5 quarts.

Change out the trans-axle oil and put 15W40 Rotella T back in. One quart is all you need.

Buy a lever type grease gun that accepts cartridges of chassis grease. Find all of the zerk fittings and grease them well.

Check the air filter and the fuel filter. Replace them if they look sketchy.

What is the PIN (serial number) of your tractor?

Then I can likely provide an answer to your electrical question.

/ 4020 Newbie Questions
Wow, thanks so much for all the great info. The PIN is 14184101. Thanks again. MM

/ 4020 Newbie Questions #5  
Your tractor should have working lights on the rear but no OEM connector like you described. A photo would be a big help but I think that a previous owner has installed that receptacle so that a trailer with lights could be plugged into it.

There is a lot more information available for your tractor but it is far too much to post here. You could drop me a PM or e-mail.

/ 4020 Newbie Questions
Here are some Photos. I think you're right hydrive, the receptacle seems to be something one of the previous owners installed for some reason. I'll take a closer look when I pick up the tractor tomorrow. I noticed too in a picture that I took of the PIN that this tractor may have at one time been owned by the Ohio State University.

Thanks for your help,
MM
IMG_20150422_114719097.jpgIMG_20150422_114755852.jpgIMG_20150422_114827380.jpg

/ 4020 Newbie Questions #7  
Thanks for the photos. They help a lot.

The mystery receptacle is definitely been added. And you are right, it is a common trailer receptacle. The tow plate has also been modified to take a trailer hitch ball and the bracket above it was probably for the safety chain hooks.

You scored big time with this one. That Ingersoll is in lovely condition. It is essentially original except as I noted above and I believe the hour meter reading. Even the discharge chute deflector is still with the deck and that is rare. I also think that you are right about the previous owner being OSU. That is a bar code tag put on by OSU to identify a piece of their equipment. Those tags make it super simple for them to account for everything when they perform their annual inventory check.

/ 4020 Newbie Questions
Just brought my tractor home. Only drove it from the trailer to the garage in the rain but it seemed that the battery light stayed on the whole time. Any common problems related to this? Also wondering what the best air, oil and hydraulic filters are for this? K&N? Anyone know part numbers?

Mike

/ 4020 Newbie Questions #9  
Make your life simple.

Order the parts you need from casegardentractorparts.com Bob will ship them to you either the same day or the next business day.

/ 4020 Newbie Questions #10  
Mike. You will love this tractor. With the drive setup, this machine will out perform just about anything in it's class. I have a late case/Ingersoll 448 with a repower LX770 by Linamar. I agree with Hydriv. Get most of your parts from a dealer. I get air filters from Napa due to repower and my dealer couldn't find the correct filter. I have a 60" deck and love it. The sleeve hitch leave just a bit of room for improvement but I guess that's why they had the 3pt available. They are costly tho, for sure. I would have seriously considered upgrading to a 3pt except I'm investing in a larger, newer machine. I'm going to unload the snowblower (38") as soon as possible. The mower deck will likely go next year or the following. The tiller I will likely get rid of when I get a new one for my bigger machine, likely next year. However, I don't think I could part with the base machine. I just couldn't get out of it what it is worth to me utility wise.

Enjoy!