CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR

/ CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
Does anyone know anything about used Case 446 garden tractors (or similar)?

I think it has a 16 hp engine. It has very large rear wheels.

I thought I heard that Case made a solid unit.

I am trying to get the year and how many hours are on it. Condition seems pretty good.

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR #3  
These are VERY well built tractors, capable of matching almost anything built in their class from the same era. The company is still operating as Ingersol and recently was bought out and relocated to Maine. My personal preference would be to have a Kohler or Briggs engine instead of the Onan because of parts cost and availability, so check what brand engine it has. The only negative thing I can think of is that they might not be considered as ergonomically friendly as todays machines, but that wouldn't stop me if it's available at a decent price in decent condition. Most attachments are hydraulically driven and were also VERY well built. As a true heavy duty garden tractor, this would be a great tilling and /or snow removal machine. I don't know what your primary use would be, but it can do a lot more than just cut grass.

/ CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR #5  
Looks like the Case has been taken care of...than most I seen on ebay.

I would take closer look and throw least one bid in,that's if the case will fit your needs.

/ CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR #6  
It's at a fair price right now. The tractor looks to have been very well cared for, grill doesn't look dented, paint looks pretty good. The colors indicated it's from the early to mid 1970's. Sure would be nice to see if it has a cat "O" 3 point on the rear, or the rear PTO, or any other optional equipment.

/ CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR #7  
Well, I have poked around the 'net a little more and see that there are a couple on Craig's list that are in the same price range, similar condition, but offer more attachments. Ebay units are a little more money. So I stand by my statement that it's a fair price, not a great bargain, not a rip off based on it running as good as it looks. Sure would prefer the Kohler or Briggs motor though.

/ CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR #8  
I worked at Case and watched these models being used for garbage bin towing, fogging for mosquitoes, mowing, snow blowing, and just plain being abused to the MAX!!! I have seen them continually run foward and then slammed into reverse and vice versa popping wheelies, used as parts chasers and anything else you could think of using them for and they took it, every bit of it and kept on running. They have an almost unbreakable hydro system. I had one of them and it did a great job mowing. I had one of the heavy duty front end loader models with tiller and it was also a very tough little tractor. It would lift almost as much as my 2015 Mahindra, amazingly tough. Only problem I had was the tiller not having a depth stop and it would jerk into the ground and stop if you weren't careful. I also sold one like in the pic recently for $1500 with mower and snow blade. If it is in as good shape as it appears, you won't go wrong..John

/ CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR #9  
For $905.00, somebody just got a nice deal on that one if the Onan Performer is in decent shape. Onan made some of the smoothest running aluminum blocked air cooled engines I have ever come across, the oldie Onans are a thrill to own, unfortunately they are no longer made or supported by Linamar or Kubota who bought that sector of Onan out. So if you have an old GT with Onan power you either baby it, or retrofit a different engine to it when the time comes if you don't have a stockpile of replacement parts. -Fordlords-

/ CASE 446 GARDEN TRACTOR #10  
These tractors are tough....real tough. My neighbor has a 98 model and blow my 300+ foot driveway with 18 inches of snow in 15 minutes.

I personal know a dealer that sells and repairs these. He worked for a logging equipment company locally that builds lifting booms that lifts the logs onto the trucks. The same pump that powers the Case tractors is the same pump that powers the booms that lift uncut logs!!! Yes, Case tractors will smoke, spin tires, backwards or make you superman if slammed into reverse when going forward. It hurts!! :D

I looked at these before I bought my JD 2210, but the Deere won due to newer and bucket. 10 months later I picked up a awesome 79 Case 446, 20 Hp Onan with deck and snowcaster aka blower for much less than a 15 year old, well used PTO snowblower for my Deere!!!! I'm a happy camper now!!!!