Mowing PTO Range when using Finish Mower

/ PTO Range when using Finish Mower #1  

Stimw

Elite Member
I've been running my 3510 PTO in 1000 rpm range while doing light finish mowing with tractor rpm about 1400. Am I asking for problems? I use 540 range with bushhog because it puts way more strain on the tractor. Someone told me 1000 range was for generators and other light load items.

/ PTO Range when using Finish Mower #2  
Im all ears on this one for a good reply.. On my JD you cant change the pto speed yourself - the rear is for 540 and the mid is 'whatever' it goes to (1,000 or higher)... I have not paid attention to this on other tractors though, so I am quite interested in other replies..

Arent the splines different between 1,000 and 540 as well??

brian

/ PTO Range when using Finish Mower #3  
You probably won't hurt your tractor, but you may hurt your RFM. I don't know what brand you have, but my Landpride and others I've seen don't recommend using them at 1000 rpm. I use mine at 540. My 6' RFM doesn't require as much power as my 5' bushhog. Lots less torque.

/ PTO Range when using Finish Mower #4  
I use my 3045 century all the time with the 1000rpm pto at 1400 engine rpm. that makes the pto speed about 540. I use it with my snow blower, brush hog, tiller, and most other attachments. It makes it alot less noisey and uses less fuel. Just don't lug down the engine and you should be fine. Also don't run up the engine rpms as you would then over rev the attachments.
leaddog