Hydraulic Top N Tilt

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt #1  

SnowRidge

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-425 / Branson 3520
Anyone have a hydraulic top link or top n tilt on their Branson or equivalent Century?

If you do, could you post the source and model numbers for the cylinders, please. I'm looking to add at least a hydraulic top link to my Branson 3520.

Also, how do the particular model cylinders you chose work for you?

Thanks.

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt #3  
Bob,

Where did you get the quick connects for the bottom links in your picture?

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt #4  
Those are pats' easy change, I would definatly recomend them! They make changes a breeze!

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt #5  
SnowRidge said:
Anyone have a hydraulic top link or top n tilt on their Branson or equivalent Century?

If you do, could you post the source and model numbers for the cylinders, please. I'm looking to add at least a hydraulic top link to my Branson 3520.

Also, how do the particular model cylinders you chose work for you?

Thanks.

I have a Century C42 and have all the parts, nearly assembled too (-:
The C42 is the larger frame series; 38, 42 and 47 HP models.

Here is a little caution that might help you.
There has been some discussion about choosing the right cylinder diameter.
There are some advantages to a large diameter cylinder;
Slower moving, provides finer control.
Stronger (thicker) rod.
More retracting (lifting) force.
So I chose the fattest cylinder I could find with the longest stroke that would still retract to the same length as the manual standard Cat 1 turnbuckle type top link.
Since I wanted to avoid cutting ends off cylinders and welding swivel eye ends on I chose one with the eye ends already on it.

Surplus Center item;
9-7260-12 2.5X12X1.5 DA HYD CYL SWIVEL EYES 1 $144.95
It has 1 inch diameter mounting holes, so you need bushings to reduce from Cat 2 to Cat1.

Here's the little catch;
If you try to mount this on a 38, 42, 47 Branson/Century clone you will not be able to "point it down" much below horizontal. The top swivel eye is short, the top of the cylinder itself is FAT and (in combination) that causes the top rim of the cylinder to rub on the top link mount. If you turn the cylinder around, i.e. mount the rod to the tractor, it is OK as long as you don't retract the cylinder all the way, but then the cylinder body moves in and out, so you will need enough hose to allow for that and some way of keeping the slack from getting in the way of... whatever. There is some risk of bending the rod IF; a) you have the cylinder pulled all the way in AND b) You have a heavy implement on the 3pt AND c) you lower the 3pt all the way. I can't say that I will never do this, but I will try to stay aware of the risk (-:

The other parts;
I am using Prince sectional Valves, SV series, which I also got from Surplus Center. I anticipate a use for a "float" function in the top link, both for unhooking implements and for some ground engagement, e.g. disk harrow.
If that doesn't prove useful, well I don't have to use it and it probably cost me $20 more than a regular valve section, so no great loss.

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt
Thanks for the detailed reply, Reg.

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt #7  
Y' Welcome,

I had meant to also say that the HARDEST part for me was finding the adapters to screw into the two outlets on the right side of the trans housing.
These are the two banjo bolt fittings that are connected by a short length of steel pipe. The thread is 20mm x 1.5 mm. O ring boss.

I got mine from Discount Hydraulic Hose.
Hydraulic Fittings - 9235 | Metric Male x Female Pipe (NPTF)
Item 9235-20-08 quantity 2, price about $13 each. Choose something similar but different if you want other than 1/2 inch NPT female

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt
Mine came with rear remotes. :) Only one set, though. :(

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt #9  
Hey Reg,

I am not sure what you are using the adapters for?

/ Hydraulic Top N Tilt #10  
BobQ said:
Hey Reg,

I am not sure what you are using the adapters for?

Ummm...
To get hydraulic oil from the tractor to the control valves.

I could go the the power beyond port on the loader, but that involves doubling back from the front of the tractor. I think the fittings on the side of the trans are more or less "power before" (-:
Well, they're in the power beyond loop, but a bit earlier in the pressure line.