Century Hydraulic leak

/ Century Hydraulic leak #1  

anthonyk

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3647
A month or so ago, I posted a question about what I thought was a PTO area hydraulic leak.

After much watching, cleaning etc, I believe that it's actually a small leak from the hydraulic fluid GAUGE!
That little glass with the level marks on it.
Has anyone every encountered anything like that out there??

Anthony

/ Century Hydraulic leak #2  
Do you have a shop manual? Is the gauge flanged with a gasket or the typical round clear plastic gauge?

/ Century Hydraulic leak
I don't have a shop manual, only the basic owners book.
I'll be checking with the Branson dealer up the road, they might know.
just thought that was odd.

anthony

/ Century Hydraulic leak #4  
anthonyk said:
A month or so ago, I posted a question about what I thought was a PTO area hydraulic leak.

After much watching, cleaning etc, I believe that it's actually a small leak from the hydraulic fluid GAUGE!
That little glass with the level marks on it.
Has anyone every encountered anything like that out there??

Anthony

Anthony, this is very common, and very easy to fix. Back the right rear tire up on some blocks, or use a jack, so that the hydraulic oil flows away from the sight glass. We have a concrete curb next to our loading dock that is perfect for this... Pop the site glass out carefully with a small screwdriver. Clean the sightglass rubber seal and the transmission housing with brakeparts cleaner or something like that. Re-install the glass with some RTV silicon. It will never leak again. About a 10 minute job, and you don't have to drain the fluid.

/ Century Hydraulic leak #5  
Nice advice, thanks Dave.

/ Century Hydraulic leak #6  
I had the same problem about 3 months ago on my 3510. Branson dealer said it was common with the old sightglass and sold me a new one (I think it was about $6). Pointed the front downhill, popped out the old sightglass with a small screwdriver, and popped the new one right in. No problem since.

/ Century Hydraulic leak
Guys, I really appreciate those tips!
This site and the folks on it are great!

Anthony

/ Century Hydraulic leak #8  
Hi folks,

I just wanted to add my two cents worth. My 2810 started leaking fluid from the sight glass around 100 hours. I called my dealer and ordered a new one. It was going to take several days to get due to the holidays. My dealer told me to silicone the old one. I cleaned and sealed the old one, with blue silicone sealer and it did not leak for about another 20 hours. I then put in the new one, which is a little different design and used permatex #85409 Ultra rubber gasket sealant & dressing on the new one. I have no leaks after another 20 hours and I hope it stays leak free. I will let you know if it leaks again. If it does leak, I have a redneck engineering plan for the next time.

Hey Dave at Daves Tractor, did I use the wrong silicone sealer??? Should I have used the black, red etc???

/ Century Hydraulic leak #9  
jgreen said:
Hi folks,

I just wanted to add my two cents worth. My 2810 started leaking fluid from the sight glass around 100 hours. I called my dealer and ordered a new one. It was going to take several days to get due to the holidays. My dealer told me to silicone the old one. I cleaned and sealed the old one, with blue silicone sealer and it did not leak for about another 20 hours. I then put in the new one, which is a little different design and used permatex #85409 Ultra rubber gasket sealant & dressing on the new one. I have no leaks after another 20 hours and I hope it stays leak free. I will let you know if it leaks again. If it does leak, I have a redneck engineering plan for the next time.

Hey Dave at Daves Tractor, did I use the wrong silicone sealer??? Should I have used the black, red etc???

The key seems to be cleaning both surfaces with brakes parts cleaner, or something similar. It needs to be real clean, not a bit oily. Then about any silicone seems to work. We've never had one leak twice.