Need Help From Century/Branson owners

/ Need Help From Century/Branson owners #1  

Jenkins003

Bronze Member
This is my first post so I hope I do it right. I just bought a Century 3040 with 220 hours off of Ebay for $8000. I never got to see the tractor before I bought it and had it shipped here. The only experience I have with tractors is with my Ford 1710 that I have owned for 20 years. I need to know if the things I'm about to ask are normal for the Century tractor. My questions are: The tractor starts great but the engine has somewhat of a loud rattling sound to it, sort of like a car with valves pecking. I don't mean it sounds really bad, just a whole lot louder than my Ford. Is this normal for this engine ? Also when I change gears if I happen to miss a gear and shift into a higher gear than I was aiming for a large puff of black smoke comes out of the exhaust pipe. This seems to happen quite a bit when changing gears, but just revving up the engine in idle doesn't produce any smoke. Is this normal for this tractor ? Also when I unlock the brakes and try to use just one of the brakes to help the tractor turn it doesn't turn very much unlike my Ford . It has the industrial tires if that makes a difference. Is this normal ? I have read nothing but good things here on Tractorbynet about the Century/Branson tractor. That is why I decided to buy a Century and it sounded like a good price since I needed a larger tractor. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Need Help From Century/Branson owners #2  
Jenkins003 said:
This is my first post so I hope I do it right. I just bought a Century 3040 with 220 hours off of Ebay for $8000. I never got to see the tractor before I bought it and had it shipped here. The only experience I have with tractors is with my Ford 1710 that I have owned for 20 years. I need to know if the things I'm about to ask are normal for the Century tractor. My questions are: The tractor starts great but the engine has somewhat of a loud rattling sound to it, sort of like a car with valves pecking. I don't mean it sounds really bad, just a whole lot louder than my Ford. Is this normal for this engine ? Also when I change gears if I happen to miss a gear and shift into a higher gear than I was aiming for a large puff of black smoke comes out of the exhaust pipe. This seems to happen quite a bit when changing gears, but just revving up the engine in idle doesn't produce any smoke. Is this normal for this tractor ? Also when I unlock the brakes and try to use just one of the brakes to help the tractor turn it doesn't turn very much unlike my Ford . It has the industrial tires if that makes a difference. Is this normal ? I have read nothing but good things here on Tractorbynet about the Century/Branson tractor. That is why I decided to buy a Century and it sounded like a good price since I needed a larger tractor. Any help would be appreciated.

Its hard to say without hearing the rattling sound you are describing.
The black smoke should be normal when missing gears, You are putting it under a heavy load and the gov. is trying to dump more fuel and you turbo is trying to make power.Split brakes are not as functional as with R4 tires,Its tough dragging the fronts to one side to steer when they have allot more ground contact. The Branson/Century products are good products
Good luck with the new machine

/ Need Help From Century/Branson owners #3  
How old is the fuel? Has the fuel filter been serviced/replaced? Has the air filter been serviced? These could add to smoke conditions.

/ Need Help From Century/Branson owners
I doubt if the filters have been changed. I'll change them as soon as I find a parts source for the tractor. I live in eastern Ky. and there seems to be no one close to here that sells parts. As far as the fuel I'm not sure about that either. I've driven the tractor some more today and the only thing that really concerns me is how loud the engine is. My Ford sounds nothing like this. It may be nothing since the tractor starts so well and seems to drive well but I haven't put any strain on the tractor yet. Thanks for your advice about the filters and fuel.

/ Need Help From Century/Branson owners #5  
I have a Century 2535, and I get all my filters for it from Napa. Just bring in the old filters and let them cross refrence them to what you need. They had them in stock and almost half the price that my dealer charged me when I replaced them earlier.

No clue about your other questions, but of the three diesels that I own, the Century has the most "clatter" sound to it when running. I bought it brand new, and it's always sounded the same.

Eddie

/ Need Help From Century/Branson owners #6  
My tractor is responsive to braking if I am not in 4wd. If I'm in 4wd and my front wheels are off the ground (IE back dragging) I can influence her with my split brakes. I doubt it can be done well in 4wd. The smoke is probably a jolt of lugging it. My engine sounds louder without a good load on it. I have a 3520, and my fleet-guard air filter crosses over to a fram. I have not been able to cross over my engine or hydro filters yet. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. I found out that if I really push extra hard on either of the brakes it will turn the tractor, just not used to having a larger tractor with industrial tires I guess. Thanks Eddie I'll try Napa since they are nearby for the filters.

/ Need Help From Century/Branson owners #8  
   / Need Help From Century/Branson owners #9  
I have a New branson 4220 and it has rattled since the 1st hour.
If your's is a 4 cylinder, I suspect it is the nature of the engine.
Try higher rpms and see if it changes. Also water in the fuel will cause the ratttling to be more peristent. I have 20 hours on mine now and the rattling seems to be going away somewhat after I added a fuel conditioner/drier. I had a diesel mechanic listen to it and he said that's how 4 cylinder diesels sound. If it was a rod or a bad valve it would have already cratered. Looks like you got a good deal.
Have fun with it.
Tag4220

Thanks TAG4220 for your reply. My engine is the 3 cylinder Kujke with a turbo. The engine sounds the same at all rpm's. The more I drive the tractor the more I like it but this engine rattle is hard to get used to. I would like to have a mechanic listen to mine also but the nearest Branson dealership is almost 2 hours away. I would best describe the sound as loud rattle but I can't understand why my old 3 cylinder Ford with 800 hours doesn't have any of this rattle. I'll try some fresh diesel when my tank gets low enough. It came with a full tank which I guess could have been in there awhile.