Branson 3510i PTO question

/ Branson 3510i PTO question #1  

swigginton

Tractor
1939 Ford 9n, 2003 Branson 3510i
I've got a simple operator question that seems to be baffling me. How do you engage the PTO? With the tractor running and the clutch depressed I pulled the PTO lever up to the 540 RPM setting and I hear loud grinding noises.

Background: We bough the tractor used a year ago and the clutch needed repair work, at the time the mechanic said I also needed a new PTO disc. I have only used it with the backhoe attached until the rim on my 9N rusted out last month. I am familiar with operating the single transmission/PTO but obviously do not want to experiment with grinding gears!

I've tried it with my shuttle shifter/gear selector in neutral with the same result as before, and this tractor won't let you startup with the clutch engaged (must safer than the 9N)

As was mentioned in another post, with the backhoe attached the PTO would spin slightly but after hooking up my bushhog it does not spin when driving around.

Thanks for any clue on what I'm missing.

-Scott

/ Branson 3510i PTO question #2  
I am not to familiar with the branson tractors but I will try to help. Your tractor is suppose to have independent PTO. You should be able to depress clutch and turn pto on at idle and let of clutch and should engage smoothly.
Again you should engage pto at idle not at 540 pto speed.

Do you have anything hooked to pto when engaging it that could possibly be binding?

If it is grinding without anything connected you might have internal problems.

/ Branson 3510i PTO question #3  
Also make sure the clutch is fully depressed. When shifting, do it slowly.

/ Branson 3510i PTO question #4  
I've got a simple operator question that seems to be baffling me. How do you engage the PTO? With the tractor running and the clutch depressed I pulled the PTO lever up to the 540 RPM setting and I hear loud grinding noises.

YOU SHOULD HAVE A TWO-STAGE CLUTCH: 1ST STAGE= GEARS/TRANS, AND 2ND (FULL DEPRESS)STAGE= PTO. ITS NORMAL FOR PTO TO CONTINUE SPINNING A LITTLE AFTER CLUTCH IS PRESSED. MAYBE THE CLUTCH NEEDS MORE ADJUSTMENT.

Background: We bough the tractor used a year ago and the clutch needed repair work, at the time the mechanic said I also needed a new PTO disc. I have only used it with the backhoe attached until the rim on my 9N rusted out last month. I am familiar with operating the single transmission/PTO but obviously do not want to experiment with grinding gears!

I've tried it with my shuttle shifter/gear selector in neutral with the same result as before, and this tractor won't let you startup with the clutch engaged (must safer than the 9N)

As was mentioned in another post, with the backhoe attached the PTO would spin slightly but after hooking up my bushhog it does not spin when driving around. NORMAL IF NOT ENGAGED IN 540/1000 RPM

Thanks for any clue on what I'm missing.

-Scott

YOU SHOULD HAVE A TWO-STAGE CLUTCH: 1ST STAGE= GEARS/TRANS, AND 2ND (FULL DEPRESS)STAGE= PTO. ITS NORMAL FOR PTO TO CONTINUE SPINNING A LITTLE AFTER CLUTCH IS PRESSED. MAYBE THE CLUTCH NEEDS MORE ADJUSTMENT.
NORMAL IF NOT ENGAGED IN 540/1000 RPM

/ Branson 3510i PTO question #5  

You probably also need to adjust the clutch freeplay. It's basically a turnbuckle on the linkage. Your manual should detail how to do this adjustment.

Background: We bough the tractor used a year ago and the clutch needed repair work, at the time the mechanic said I also needed a new PTO disc....

You didn't replace this part while they had the tractor split?

/ Branson 3510i PTO question
You didn't replace this part while they had the tractor split?

I did have them replace it, just didn't say it clearly!

You probably also need to adjust the clutch freeplay. It's basically a turnbuckle on the linkage. Your manual should detail how to do this adjustment.

Unfortunately we have no owners manual and the link on this site to a similar Century no longer works. I've seen the turnbuckle on the bar beside the clutch, which direction do I turn and how much?

For everyone else, I believe I had the clutch fully depressed (straight from startup) but will be sure to try it again.

/ Branson 3510i PTO question #7  
My 3035 owners manual states:
ADJUSTING CLUTCH PEDAL FREE TRAVEL

Proper clutch pedal freeplay is between 3/4 inch to 1-1/4 inch.

Too small a free travel can cause damage to the throwout bearing and engine (travel) clutch slippage.

Too large a free travel may cause PTO clutch not fully disengaged (PTO will not stop completely when the clutch pedal is depressed all the way down).

ADJUSTMENT
- Stop engine remove key
- Depress clutch pedal slightly by hand and measure measure free travel.
- If necessary adjust free travel on the turnbuckle located next to the clutch pedal.

I had to do this adjustment once as I had the same symptoms you describe. It wasn't a big deal. I believe all you will need is a 15 mm wrench to loosen the jam nuts, and maybe a screwdriver to help turn the turnbuckle. It should only take a couple of turns to get it back in adjustment.

...For everyone else, I believe I had the clutch fully depressed (straight from startup) but will be sure to try it again.

It won't start unless the clutch is FULLY depressed, shuttle shift is in neutral, and PTO lever is disengaged.

/ Branson 3510i PTO question #8  
I recently had the same problem on my Century tractor. I adjusted the turnbuckle above the clutch and it cured the problem. I ended up with about 3/4 inch freeplay before it stopped grinding.

/ Branson 3510i PTO question
Where are you supposed to measure the freeplay in the clutch? Are you measuring the vertical of the turnbuckle, or the travel of the pedal?

I just went with a WAG loosening it up some (didn't work) and then tightened it until there was zero freeplay and backed off until it was at what I estimated as 3/4" from the pedal. I still hear some grinding as I begin to engage but pulling with authority it got it to engage. Is this typical or do I need to keep adjusting it until there is not a hint of grinding ever?

And WOW, I never realized how beautiful 35HP can be. I've been bushhogging on a 1939 Ford 9N which would requires multiple passes in dense green undergrowth, but not now even in thick 3' stuff. Even better was on the shorter grass it was mulching the grass about the same size as my discharge blade on my riding mower which is perfect for my lawnsweep!

Of course this now brings up two more questions:

First, on my tachometer there is an indicator for "1ST PTO 540 RPM" which is near the 2400-2600 RPM range. Because of this I was operating in Range 1 with my shifter in 4th (just a hair slower than 2nd gear on my 9N). This worked great for the 3' dense stuff, but for the shorter fields can I use the 2nd Range gears? And if so what tractor RPMs should I be aiming for?

Second, adjacent to the PTO selector there is a lever that I have no explaination for. You can see it in this picture (lever on the right with all white labels). Anyone know what this is?

Thanks again for all the suggestions, you have been a great help!

-Scott

/ Branson 3510i PTO question #10  
You should measure the distance from the top or bottom of the clutch pedal to a fixed point in the line of travel. You will probably have slight grind when engaging PTO. I always AT AN IDLE shift into PTO, THEN raise throttle, then engage PTO through clutch.
The lever looks like the 4 wheel drive (front end) engagement lever.
A pedal to the far REAR right will be you rear differential LOCK to engage both left and right REAR axles to POSITIVE traction (used if you get stuck and/or one rear wheel is spinning.
You can operate the PTO in any of the speeds 540/1000 at specified RPM *****IF***** the attachment is rated for it, DO NOT OPERATE ATTACHMENTS DESIGNED FOR 540 RPM AT THE 1000 RPM RATE. The 1000 rate will fall into the stated RPM range. If your tractor isn't lugging and the grass is cutting fine, cut at a comfortable (SAFE) speed for the surroundings, grass, and terrain. Hope this helps.