Buying Advice Backhoe for Branson 4220i

/ Backhoe for Branson 4220i #1  

RedStuff

Tractor
Branson TYM 5520C
I'm looking into purchasing a backhoe for my Branson 4220i and I'm told that there are two models that I can choose from. The old style B8620 (Ameriquip) and the new style 8540X. As I'm told, the 8540x has an arc boom, updated geometry and is more powerful. The ballpark pricing I got for both were 8K and 9K respectively. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one or both backhoes and can provide some commentary on the likes and dislikes as well as pricing. I live in an area where the soil is very rocky so my guess is that the newer style backhoe with a thumb might be the best bet, but I'm just guessing. I appreciate any help.

/ Backhoe for Branson 4220i #2  
I was at a dealer today for parts for my Exmark and I again saw a Woods groundbreaker 90X. This backhoe really impresses me and though it would be a few dollars more, it would be my choice. Don't really know much about the Branson hoes. Check the old threads and you will come across a Woods 90X being installed. Looks excellent and they have a reputation for quality equipment.

/ Backhoe for Branson 4220i
Thank you. I'll definitely look into the Woods line.

/ Backhoe for Branson 4220i #4  
another option that you might consider: cruise your local craig's list for a well used construction backhoe. a dedicated tlb will work anything you can bolt on your branson into the ground.

i am in the process of digging a foundation for my future shop, that required me to excavate approximately 250 cubic yards of soil. i found an old case 580c for $6k. I got a complete 63 hp, 14' dig tractor for less than a frame mounted hoe would cost for my branson.

it had a brush grapple added to the loader which combined with the 5000 lb fel capacity can lift whole trees. it is old, loose and leaks at the control valve but it does everything i need a hoe to do, at about 3-4x the speed a backhoe for a CUT would operate.

when you finish your project, it also likely that you'll be able to sell the hoe for at least what you paid for it.

-mat

/ Backhoe for Branson 4220i #5  
I have an Amerequip 8600 that I bought NOS (new, old stock) from what used to be American Jawa - the Kukje importers.
It is good and was very good value for what I paid.
DIY installation after hauling it home from PA in a a horse trailer, I was coming through there anyway.

If I had to do it over I would try to find that side sliding one that I think is made in Italy.
There was a link to a You Tube video of it posted a while ago.
REALLY nice for getting close to fences, buildings, or just being able to sit to the side of the arm and being able to SEE the bucket without leaning half way off the seat (-:

EDIT:
I just found this one;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc5iEYKSQiA
:END EDIT

Last edited: