Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Branson 2810 w/FEL, JD 40S

Default Re: Power steering tank

Zork,

I did the conversion (eliminated the tank) and it worked out well. I purchased all of the parts from a local parts store. The toughest part was tapping the threads on top of the filter housing/adapter I did remove the housing/adapter. I think the filter housing/adapter is made of zinc and for some reason it gave me some issues with getting the threads cut. I used a straight hose fitting on the filter housing/adapter instead of the 90 degree elbow. I felt it provided a better routing for the hose, personal preference nothing more. I did not use the crimped hydraulic hoses it shows in the picture. I did use hydraulic hoses with hose clamps as it appears that one hose is a supply line (low pressure) to the power steering pump and the other is a return hose (low pressure)from the power steering valve/gear. Will this cause a problem down the road? I don't think it will so if someone wants to weigh in, I welcome additional information. I did cut off the metal line where the 90 degree bend is located to the power steering pump because it provided a straighter path for the hose to the fittings. I used a mini tubing cutter and did not remove the tube from the pump. It was not difficult and I have about thirty hours on the retro fit with no issues. I did not need to remove the rear wheels to do this retro fit so you may want to take a look and decide on that one. I hope this helps.

Tractor
    '04 Branson 3520, '51 Fergy, '96 MTD 18/46, '02 Craftsman GT5000/48

I went ahead and replaced the tank. The new tank appears to be well built and I'd rather not have another hose below in the lower areas. Thanks for all the help.
    He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Quote Originally Posted by Zork View Post
    I went ahead and replaced the tank. The new tank appears to be well built and I'd rather not have another hose below in the lower areas. Thanks for all the help.
    Yeah, the new metal tank is a permenant solution and is easy to install. Did you have to do a little modifying to get it to fit?
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Century 3035

I did. I had to re-drill the mounting plate holes about 1/4" outboard of thier original location to get the indentation in the tank to fit over the metal bar on the plate.
    Century 3035, FEL, RC, RFM, Box Blade, Pond Scoop, Boom Pole, Hay Spear

Tractor
    '04 Branson 3520, '51 Fergy, '96 MTD 18/46, '02 Craftsman GT5000/48

Quote Originally Posted by DavesTractor View Post
    Yeah, the new metal tank is a permenant solution and is easy to install. Did you have to do a little modifying to get it to fit?
    Surprisingly, no. It was a very easy repair and my plate had a foam rubber bar and no metal bar to cut. I would certainly recommend this to anyone rather than the bypass kit. Thanks for asking.
    He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Quote Originally Posted by Zork View Post
    Surprisingly, no. It was a very easy repair and my plate had a foam rubber bar and no metal bar to cut. I would certainly recommend this to anyone rather than the bypass kit. Thanks for asking.
    Some have to be modified a little, but not all. I never have figured out why some fit right in and some require either new holes drilled or the metal bar to be trimmed a little. Either way it is easier then doing the bypass.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread. My plastic hydraulic steering tank has been giving me issues for awhile now. I replaced it a few years ago with another plastic tank that started leaking after a few years. I fixed it, and it lasted a year. I fixed it again with two layers of plastic tank repair stuff and it lasted another year, but now it's leaking again.

I never heard of Bills Tractors before, or Branson Parts Online. I just bought the metal replacement tank for $108

Thanks,
    Eddie

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

A follow up for anybody looking for a replacement tank. Mine arrived five days after ordering it. It was well packaged, but nothing fancy. The tank is very well built and it fit perfectly without any effort or modifications. I'm very pleased and highly recommend it to anybody looking.

I went to the site Bills Tractors, which linked me to <B><font size="3">BRANSON TRACTOR PARTS</FONT SIZE><B> for the parts and then the part was shipped from bigredsonline.net

Thank you,
    Eddie

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Most Branson dealers stock the tank as well, since the plastics tanks became notorious for failure after a few years. Metal tanks are good for about forever. Bill's Tractor is a great company. Founded by Bill and Betsy, some of the nicest folks you will ever meet.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12