All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion...

/ All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion... #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
Some of you recall That Branson put a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing under warranty recently ... well here's the deal and please anyone and everyone share your thoughts.

First a couple days ago the shuttle would not shift either forward or reverse per the dealer recommendation, I adjusted the clutch linkage to the point where it again shifted. This leaves me no further adjustment. Then a short while later I am now experiencing the following.

Smooth shifting in all gears as well as the shuttle however as I release the clutch pedal just at the point of engagement I have a noise not gear grinding more like a rattle/growling as soon as its fully released fine until I use the clutch again.

At low RPM'S I don't notice it... it appears to be at about 2000 RPM's it appears to be more frequent as the unit warms up.

/ All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion... #2  
I would call Branson's and let them know your not happy and that you want them to check it out! You don't have that many hours on it from the last time they worked on it so they should take care of it!

/ All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion... #3  
That may be the throw out bearing making the noise.:)

/ All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion... #4  
We changed the clutch in one of our old tractors, I don't recall which one, but we forgot to rotate the throwout bearing while putting it back together, cracking the pressure plate. Sounds like the same thing. I have also seen the pilot bearing get damaged on install as well. I agree with Moored4 and you should have Branson check it out. Something is not right. Good luck!

/ All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion...
I would call Branson's and let them know your not happy and that you want them to check it out! You don't have that many hours on it from the last time they worked on it so they should take care of it!

I have an email into them ... awaiting the answer

That may be the throw out bearing making the noise.:)

I'm thinking it is certainly something to do with that area ... the dealership is telling me they are not familar with the symptoms I am describing and they are waiting for Branson to tell them where to begin.

We changed the clutch in one of our old tractors, I don't recall which one, but we forgot to rotate the throwout bearing while putting it back together, cracking the pressure plate. Sounds like the same thing. I have also seen the pilot bearing get damaged on install as well. I agree with Moored4 and you should have Branson check it out. Something is not right. Good luck!

Thanks ... I'm sure its got something to do with the clutch, bearing or the plate. The dealer stated he's stumped and belives the problem is not clutch related, he thinks PTO ... I disagree cause it does it with or without the PTO.

The bad thing is this time of year I really need it ... now the question is do I park it until they make a decision or do I use it till the problem surfaces to the point of no action?

/ All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion... #6  
I'm sure its got something to do with the clutch, bearing or the plate. The dealer stated he's stumped and belives the problem is not clutch related, he thinks PTO

If the dealer hasn't heard a throw out bearing or sounds of the type you describe well???:(

/ All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion...
If the dealer hasn't heard a throw out bearing or sounds of the type you describe well???:(

He old me this evening if it was that it would squeal like a stuck hog ... now today that noise stayed with it for about 30 seconds while the shuttle was in forward ... I mashed the clutch and it did not stop until I put the shuttle in the nuetral position.

Almost 2 weeks and numerous email ... it goes in Tuesday. Will let ya'll know.

The noise quit the day before I was to take it in. I was advised to drain the fluid and see what comes out.

What ya think?

Attachments

• 101_6973.JPG
    101_6973.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 101_6979.JPG
    101_6979.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 101_6983.JPG
    101_6983.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 101_6986.JPG
    101_6986.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 213
   / All owners ... Not only Branson... All tractor owners .. I need your opinion... #10  
Your pictures are blurry when they are enlarged; try photographing these in macro (close)setting but I cant really tell by your photos so you may have additional problems.. Your clutch issues definitely sound like clutch disc/ pressure plate/ throw-out bearing related. Maybe all the parts weren't replaced and one worn part was left. I have heard throw-out bearings sounds that were like squealing to nothing but just a slight rumble; or where the noise starts or stops when pressure is put on or taken off the clutch. Many times, throw-out bearings are blamed when it is actually the transmission main shaft/ internal trans bearings/ noise; the trans bearings become silent when the clutch is depressed and the trans comes to rest.

Is that oil and debris from the trans axle?

Was the trans axle ever drained and the strainer cleaned?

If you are describing your symptoms correctly I would say its clutch (whole). Nonetheless, the draining of the oil should have nothing to do with the clutch since I believe your clutch disc is dry. If that debris was in the bell housing I'd say you have disc rivet, damper spring (producing chatter), or pressure plate or throw-out bearing issues, anyway your last statement sounds like clutch chatter. If you didn't have any odd noise or troubles in the trans I would say the debris could be casting/ tap debris. If everything internally in the trans axle is operating properly I would do a clutch (meaning disc, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing) first.