I re-torqued my cylinder head.

/ I re-torqued my cylinder head. #1  

Zork

Platinum Member
Tractor
'04 Branson 3520, '51 Fergy, '96 MTD 18/46, '02 Craftsman GT5000/48
All right then. My tractor is a 2004 3520 with 284H and the 3T90L engine. My block was leaking very, very, little oil at the outside of the head gasket. I noticed this when this was the first area that accumulated dirt. Make a long story short, my engine does not have stretch head bolts; therefore, it is very likely the head bolts will eventually back off to some degree. I had experience with this in older equipment and the industry made the practice of having to re-torque your heads at a given cycle obsolete with the use of stretch bolts.

My My larger cylinder bolts were very close to spec's but the outer bolts were at about a third of what is recommended. The job is a little more involved in that you have to remove the rocker arm assembly and the injector lines at the injectors and, the valves must be adjusted afterward. My valves required adjustment anyway since the lash was less than recommended and the service interval is at 600H. Valves that are too tight may eventually get damaged and heads that are not properly torqued may crack or warp.

I'd recommend having this checked if you are capable or contact your dealer as it is very cheap insurance as compared to the alternatives. That's all I have to say on that subject for now.

/ I re-torqued my cylinder head.
Update- I have not noticed any oil and this action seems to have taken care of the problem.

/ I re-torqued my cylinder head. #3  
That is the 3 cylinder engine, correct? Where did you find the re-torque service interval? I've got the
A2300n 4 cylinder, and haven't diligently searched in my service manual (until i get home tonight, that is!).

/ I re-torqued my cylinder head.
I apologize for the later reply. I still am not receiving updates for the threads I am subscribed to.

Yes, I have the three cylinder model. There was no direction to torque the head. I took it upon myself because the dealer said the head bolts are normal head bolts and not the torque to yield bolts, and since I am out of warranty and footing the bill, I figured they needed to be done given the discoloration at the block and head area.

I did receive a complimentary copy of the cylinder torque sequence from my dealer in Charlottesville. Charlottesville Power Supply is a great company.