Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    LS R4047

Default Re: Branson glow plugs

I was replacing the glowplugs in a small perkins( napa crossed the #s off the old 1s over to ngk ) but testing them , i use a ohm meter or a test light, whichever is handy , separate the bussbar off the glowplugs , check resistance from the center conductor to ground. or use your test light ( I clip my alligator clip to the positive terminal of the battery ) then probe the center terminal of each plug. some glowplugs will light your test light dimmly while others not at all. they never seem to fail the same. anyway , no light or little light is usually the bad 1.

Tractor
    2005 2910 POS in the Winter

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3820i

Now that is has warmed up I got the Branson mechanic over to look at the plugs. He's a friend of my sons so the price was right. Easy way to check to plugs. Disconnect the busbar and remove it. A simple procedure. With the key off, run a lead to the starter terminal which is hot, which is not too far away. Touch the other end of the lead to the glow plug. If the plug is good you will get a arc when you touch it. If there is no arc the plug is dead. On mine #2 and #4 are dead, so I'm gonna pull one and take it to Napa in the next couple of days and see if they can cross reference them. I'm gonna replace all four and save the two good ones for spares.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Quote Originally Posted by bobmisi View Post
    Now that is has warmed up I got the Branson mechanic over to look at the plugs. He's a friend of my sons so the price was right. Easy way to check to plugs. Disconnect the busbar and remove it. A simple procedure. With the key off, run a lead to the starter terminal which is hot, which is not too far away. Touch the other end of the lead to the glow plug. If the plug is good you will get a arc when you touch it. If there is no arc the plug is dead. On mine #2 and #4 are dead, so I'm gonna pull one and take it to Napa in the next couple of days and see if they can cross reference them. I'm gonna replace all four and save the two good ones for spares.
    I wish you luck getting them cross referenced. My glow plugs are made by NGK but NAPA nor anyone else has a cross reverence nor could they match it up with anything they had for glow plugs. Apparently NGK made them specifically for Mitsubishi which is the motor in mine and they are sold by my tractor dealer only and the dealer cost to me reflects that. Even the NGK website does not list my glow plug. Hope your luck is better.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3510i w/FEL

I had the same issue. ended up buying plugs from the cummins dealer. Much cheaper
    Branson 3510i, Land Pride 5'BB, Land Pride 5'RC, Priefert 6' tiller

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC55DA

Quote Originally Posted by Yalerider View Post
    I had the same issue. ended up buying plugs from the cummins dealer. Much cheaper
    How did the Cummins dealer cross-reference them? What did you end up paying?
    New Holland TC55DA, 18LA, 759C

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3510i w/FEL

See link user posted above. They were $20. They work great.
    Branson 3510i, Land Pride 5'BB, Land Pride 5'RC, Priefert 6' tiller

Tractor
    Branson 3510

I know I'm cming in about a year late, but I hope you can help. There is no longer a link to refer to the cross reference for the glow plugs. Could you post it again?
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12