Branson glow plugs

/ Branson glow plugs #1  

bobmisi

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3820i
My Branson 3820i is not starting well this winter. It seems to me that the glow plugs are not working, as when I use them several times it starts no better than trying to start it cold. What is the best way to check to see if they are working. I know on our one ton diesel truck we had the same problem and it was the controller. We switched to a manual push button that sends power to the plugs only when held in. It works much better than the controller, and I would probably do the same on the tractor. Much cheaper also.

/ Branson glow plugs #2  
My Branson 3820i is not starting well this winter. It seems to me that the glow plugs are not working, as when I use them several times it starts no better than trying to start it cold. What is the best way to check to see if they are working. I know on our one ton diesel truck we had the same problem and it was the controller. We switched to a manual push button that sends power to the plugs only when held in. It works much better than the controller, and I would probably do the same on the tractor. Much cheaper also.

Do you have a block heater too???

Reason I ask is because when it gets cold (less than 20 deg), I plug mine in for an hour or so. At those temps it starts without plugging it in, but it's a pretty rough start.

Mine starts immediately at 10 -15 below if it's been plugged in, but even then it runs rough for 10 seconds or so...

Lunk

/ Branson glow plugs #3  
Hi bobmisi,
I too have a branson 3820i. It did not like being started in the cold either. I installed a block heater in the location of the threaded plug on the left side of the block(as seen from the operators seat) and haven't had a problem since. Well since the heater failed, but while it was working (about 2 years) it did solve my problem of white smoke and and hard starting. I tried cycling glow plugs with no success. Good luck.

/ Branson glow plugs #4  
What is the best way to check to see if they are working.

A clamp on amp meter would be the simplest/quickest unless the wiring was so tight you couldn't get the clamp around it. Sans that, a volt meter.

Last edited:
   / Branson glow plugs #5  
My 5530 Branson had a cold start issue ... the wire that leads to the glow plug bar was loose ... real cold I cylce the glow plugs a couple times.

/ Branson glow plugs
Well, I checked all the wires and fuses and all appears to be working, but still starts really hard. I went on ebay and bought the correct block heater for the cummins diesel after emailing and confirming it was the right one for the Branson 3820i. Person was really helpful and knowledegable and the heater was only 35 dollars. The nice thing is it's not a fit-all universal type. It's made for this application. If anyone needs a heater I recommend this person highly. Got mine really fast, but I haven't installed it yet. Seller is listed as miauto on ebay for your information. Today is single digits and snowing so I had to get it running and didn't want to burn up my starter cranking it over, so I tried a shot of starter fluid. I sprayed a shot in the direction of the air cleaner intake behind the grill, not into the air cleaner at all. She fired up so fast it was better than in summer, no black smoke or anything. Hate to use the stuff, but it really worked. First warmer day I'll install the heater, It goes into the side of the block and is 600 watts. Thanks for the responses. Nice to have a place to get help when you need it about your particular tractor, great site.

/ Branson glow plugs #7  
Pop the hood and locate the glow plugs. They should have a single wire going to them which feeds power from the timer. Using a volt meter have someone turn on the key while you check for power at the wire that feeds the plugs. It should read battery voltage for the duration of the timer. If not, remove the wire from the plugs and check again. If you get a good reading this time then you need to check the plugs. Remove the strap that connects all the plugs together. Then you can check each plugs resistance with an ohm meter. Each should have a resistance reading. I have a different tractor but checking glow plugs is the same. On my tractor I had one plug with a dead short, one read open or no resistance and only the third had a good reading so I only had one plug actually working. I replaced all 3 of mine. Mine were NGK plugs but not available at any auto parts stores. Dealer only so beware of sticker shock when you price them.

/ Branson glow plugs #8  
I have been able to get NGK glow plugs at Napa ( had to order them , but picked them up the next day) very simple to change ! Good luck !

/ Branson glow plugs #9  
I have been able to get NGK glow plugs at Napa ( had to order them , but picked them up the next day) very simple to change ! Good luck !

Bladehauler, what # s are on those glow plugs ???

Thanks Ernie

/ Branson glow plugs #10  
I went through this a few years ago.
I think I wrote it up at the time... maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, by setting about trying to quickly test them individually for current draw I quickly realized that they are powered from a thick copper bus bar that their heads are screwed directly into.
It MIGHT have been possible to measure the current going to all 4, then the last 3, the last 2, last one, etc and by subtraction figure which were flakey.
I didn't do that, instead I unscrewed them from the bar and removed them, took them to a service shop - along with the injectors to get them checked out.
They all checked out fine, so I cleaned everything up and re-assembled it.
I think that might have solved it, just cleaning the contacts between the glow plugs and the copper bus bar.
Careful clean re-assembly has fixed many problems for me over the years, so that is my working assumption on things like this - include a dab of silicon (errr,,, "dielectric grease" ?) on each, etc.

The injectors were a mixed story, I think a couple of places quoted me more to re-build them than their full new dealer price and a couple of them said they were fine.
Anyway, I similarly put those back with no further work and the tractor has started and run fine ever since.