Buying Advice Need Branson 3510 engine

/ Need Branson 3510 engine #1  

drs1023

Tractor
Belarus AS 250
Hi all, First post here. I owned a JD Model M (late 40's model) for 15 years and a Belarus 31 hp (AS250) since it was new in '89. I made a mistake when I bought the orange tractor, though. I didn't pay the additional $700 for power steering, and with my 60+ years of age and 400 lbs. of suitcase weights on the front, I need to upgrade something - my arm strength, the steering on my Belarus or to a tractor with a few more modern amenities.

I found a 2005 Branson 3510 with a bad engine. I talked to the owner who bought it new, and it needs a complete short block and head rework due to a thrust bearing problem. This tractor only has 70 hours on it, so it looks like the current owner just got a lemon - and Branson won't talk about replacing it since the warrranty is out.

Is there a reputable tractor salvage yard in the southeast that may have a decent running engine for this tractor? Or is there a place for a new or rebuilt short block? I'm in Georgia - about 65 miles north of Atlanta.

/ Need Branson 3510 engine #2  
You might want to cross reference the branson motor you have with the cummins counterpart. If you just need the short block there may be one in a genset somewhere?! (or some other industrial application like air compressor)

I know that the b series 5.9 motors in the dodge pickups have had documented failures from the thrust bearing issue as well. Usually if you catch it you can replace it and be good to go. The crank doesn't like to migrate back and forth, go figure :)

Good luck! Have you got a quote from Branson yet? Seems like a good dealer might be able to help you out some way.

/ Need Branson 3510 engine
I talked to the owner who told me that a short block from Branson is $4200. The problem is that he has has already torn the engine down and said he had it "mostly" back together - meaning that there are missing parts everywhere. That probably puts my rebuilding the engine out of the question.

Thanks for the reply.