Century 2535 PTO Clutch

/ Century 2535 PTO Clutch #1  

Whcbg

Tractor
Century 2535
My Century tractor PTO is beginning to have problems of slippage/severe chatter when under load while mowing or roto-tilling. I am having problems finding a schematic or manual describing the dis-assembly of the PTO system (it looks like it may all come out of the rear of the tractor). Also, I am looking for a source of the necessary repair parts in the San Joaquin Valley area of California. Any help will be appreciated.

/ Century 2535 PTO Clutch #2  
My Century tractor PTO is beginning to have problems of slippage/severe chatter when under load while mowing or roto-tilling. I am having problems finding a schematic or manual describing the dis-assembly of the PTO system (it looks like it may all come out of the rear of the tractor). Also, I am looking for a source of the necessary repair parts in the San Joaquin Valley area of California. Any help will be appreciated.

We can get you the parts, and there is also a parts dealer closer to you, Horning Equipment in Galt.

Is this the iPTO electric over hydraulic system, or the dry two-stage clutch system? I can't remember just how some of the Century models convert to the Branson models.

If iPTO, you need to check the hydraulic pressure that holds the clutch packs together. But if they have slipped much, they might be toast. It is not a simple job to replace them. It is not something the average Joe would take on himself unless you are really handy with these sort of things.

If a dry two-stage clutch, you will need to check the clutch adjustment.

/ Century 2535 PTO Clutch
It has a lever to shift the PTO from High speed (1000 rpm) to Neutral to low speed (540) located on the panel just below the operators seat next to the 4wd/2wd selector. It doesn't shift with a switch. I personally think that it is the one way clutch on the PTO speed change shaft that is failing. I need to know what the method of dis-assembly would be for removal and replacement of this clutch.

/ Century 2535 PTO Clutch #4  
So you have the two-stage clutch. We have seen a number of clutch failures over the years, but it was always on the drive plate, not the PTO plate. I would first check the freeplay on the clutch, it should have about 7/8" inch of freeplay before you feel the throw-out bearing start engaging the clutch fingers. Some people dislike the feeling of a two-stage clutch and adjust it to engage the travel lower in the clutch ROM, and that messes with the PTO engagement. So if you did that, start by going back to the original settings.

The over-running clutch could be the problem. To my knowledge, the Branson OR clutch is pretty robust. We have only seen issues when using a fairly big tiller in hard soil. As a Branson/Century does not have a true crawl range (on this model), the ground speed is a little fast for a tiller in hard soil.

Unfortunatley the Branson shop manuals are not all that great. They are helpful for the guy that is already real handy with tractor repair, but they do not give a step by step disassembly procudre for each componet.

Get ahold of Frank at Auto Accessories of Clovis. He is close to you and has sold quite a few Branson tractors. I know it is a little odd that he is primarily an Auto Accessories business, but he is handy with a wrench. He should have manuals and access to parts. I think if it is the OR clutch, the tractor will need to be split.

/ Century 2535 PTO Clutch #5  
Have you been running the implements in 1000 RPM ?
That might cause premature PTO clutch failure.
To change the clutch you have to split the tractor at the engine and transmission housings.

/ Century 2535 PTO Clutch #6  
Have you been running the implements in 1000 RPM ?
That might cause premature PTO clutch failure.
To change the clutch you have to split the tractor at the engine and transmission housings.

I think he is referencing the over-running ratcheting PTO clutch as the problem, not the main clutch. Good point on the 1000 rpm though.

You might be able to replace the OR clutch from the top after lifting the rockshaft housing.

/ Century 2535 PTO Clutch
That's what I am hoping. I'm planning on tearing into it as soon as I verify parts availability, I don't want this down too long.