Century or Kubota

/ Century or Kubota #11  
Comments from dealers and fans..... Well I am neither. I guess the real question is the resale / trade in value. You mentioned a business, well do you plan on wearing the tractor out or trading it in in a few years. If wearing it out the Century might be the best deal, if trading it in in a few years then the Kubota might make the best business sense. Of course since the Century cost less origionally, the trade in issue might be a moot point.
I don't think there is any real quality difference between the 2 tractors.
And the only real functional difference you noted is the weight. The heavier tractor will behave better with a loader and have more traction for pulling.
I would expect thats parts might be cheaper for the Century, I know that the Kubota parts are not cheap, right up there with the green brand parts.

/ Century or Kubota #12  
RaT Let me say right up front - I LOVE Kubota tractors. First tractor I ever bought in the early '80's was a B6100. In my current circumstance I couldn't swing the price of admission and get the model I wanted (4630). A 3830 for me was over $22K, that was with a hydro. We won't even talk 4630. From my admittedly limited experience, I have found the more power you have, the less the hydro is necessary. If you're in a less then optimum gear the engine power is there for you. I'm talking 3045 which has the JD 4710 Yanmar four. In my opinion, talking smoothness and sound, that engine is light years ahead of the daedong engines in Kioti and Mahindra and the equal of the excellent Kubota engines. In the 3040 turbo Kukje I drove, it was not as smooth as the 3045, but still way ahead of the daedong. I fail to see any issues with fit and finish on the C/B twins. As Chipperman said, the older units might not have been up to todays standards, but it is a non issue now. I'll say it, I need more explanation on the axle and power steering. What about one is better than the other, I have no idea. As for the base L3830 for $12k someone found - WOW If the 4630 were similarly priced, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. I don't think that's a common price and not a fair comparison. When I was sure what I could afford wasn't what I needed, I was a hair's breath from a JD 4310. I figured I'd get my feet wet and sell it in a few years. Depreciation was an issue. Once I tried the Century, I was as sure as I could be it would fit my needs. Then I wasn't as worried about immediate depreciation. I also checked the used prices on older Kioti's figuring that would be a good indicator of long term Century value. In my area, they were very high in my opinion. Giving Century time to establish the reputation Kioti has and being able to make a link to JD directly (engine) and indirectly (make 5000 series for JD in asian market), I felt the resale should be at least as strong. Like Chipperman said, this is a great place to express opinions and these are mine
Pacesetter

/ Century or Kubota #13  
Hi Eddie, still on the fence?

Let me add a couple of things the others haven't mentioned (or emphasized).

1. Draft control is standard on the Century and optional on the Kubota.

2. The Kubota has electronic instrumentation. That alone ruled the GrandL Kubotas out for me. I should add I made my living working in electronics for years, and have even been known to tear a motorcycle's electronic ignition module apart and repair it at the component level rather than pay an exorbitant price for a new one.

Electronic modules are failure prone, expensive to repair (replace), and a needless excess on a tractor, IMHO.

A suggestion: Go compare parts prices between the Kubota and the Century. Check service parts such as filters, and repair parts such as starters. Be sure to ask the Kubota dealer how much an new LCD dashboard display costs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If you do that, I suspect you will tilt toward the Century a little more.

SnowRidge

/ Century or Kubota #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> 1. Draft control is standard on the Century and optional on the Kubota. </font> )</font>

OOPS /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif - Not on the model he is looking at. Only on the 30 series. Also, although not standard, I don't think I've seen a 30 series without a rear remote

100% correct on the electronics. General jist of what I said in more detail, better put.
Pacesetter

/ Century or Kubota #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( OOPS - Not on the model he is looking at. )</font>

Well, the Kubota Web Site says it is optional.

SnowRidge

/ Century or Kubota #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( OOPS - Not on the model he is looking at. )</font>

Well, the Kubota Web Site says it is optional.

SnowRidge )</font>

Comedy of errors /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Draft Control - Not standard on the Century 2028 or 2535 or Kubota. Standard on Century 3035, 3040, 3045. Hope I didn't confuse anyone else /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Pacesetter

/ Century or Kubota #17  
Well Rat.......I guess we look at tractors two different ways. To me a tractor is a piece of equipment that must give me the biggest bang for the buck. If it does not do it's job dependably and economicaly I'm out of business in a very short time. I do not know anything about Kubota,they are not up to speed in the ag-tractor field,but I do know about Deeres,and I do not own any. If I can buy a less expensive tractor on the same level or higher when it comes to dependability,performance,and comfort, why should I pay the extra for a more well known brand?

/ Century or Kubota #18  
Very well said Pacesetter, I too avoided the electically engaged 4x4 on the GMC pickup I bought. Sometimes the extra bells and whistles are convenient when they work, after that you end up to be job security for the dealer's mechanic!
That is one of the biggest reasons I took on the Century dealership. It used to be that companies made it on their name alone. People used to relate the name John Deere with quality products. When I was a kid growing up on our farm all of our equipment was green and had the name behind it. We too fell for the resale value sales pitch. Now you can even buy a JD mower at Home Depot. Have you tried their crappy Sabre mower series? They are definitely not made to take heavy mowing or daily use. Ours literally fell apart! I think that when you can buy new equipment that has excellent quality, no matter what color or brand, you need to find the machine that suits your needs. If you need pushbutton 4x4 then buy it. If you think more like us, simple and functional is better, then buy that. That's what makes the world go around! Happy tractoring everyone!
Nick

/ Century or Kubota #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I can buy a less expensive tractor on the same level or higher when it comes to dependability,performance,and comfort, why should I pay the extra for a more well known brand? )</font>

I'm with Woodbeef,
In my area, the big 3 were priced to high to fit my budget and still get the size tractor I wanted.
I went with the other Korean tractor (Kioti) and saved a bundle.
I've been a long time John Deere owner and spent many hours on several models of Kubota and as far as Quality,comfort,performance my DK is right there with them, I gave up nothing but bigger payments !!

/ Century or Kubota #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do not know anything about Kubota,they are not up to speed in the ag-tractor field,)</font>

It's pretty obvious that you don't know anything about Kubota as they certainly "up to speed" in the ag tractor field. The sell the "M" series which is most certainly a pure ag tractor and not a surburbanites toy. Eh!!!!