Century or Kubota

/ Century or Kubota #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I just posted this same infomation on the Kubota buying site with the hope they will be able to provide me with some additional information that I may have overlooked. I'm also hoping for the same from you guys.

I'm comparing the Kubota L3830 to the Century 2535. Both are 4X4 with no extra features or attachments.

The Kubota price is $15,050 with GST and the Century is $10,900 with synchro shuttle shift.

Both match up very closely to each other in the charts, 32 or 31 PTO hp, 12 speeds and similar warrentees and parts availability. Kubota parts are in Ft. Worth and Century is in Houston. 3 hours or 4 hours from me.

The only reall differences I could see in the charts are;

1) PTO speeds. Century is 540 and 1,000, Kubota is only 540
2) Hydrolics. Century is 8.9gpm, Kubota is 8.3
3) Hydrolics lifting force. Century is 2,580, Kubota is 2,760
4) Ground Clearance. Century is 11 in. Kubota is 14.8 in
5) Weight. Century is 3,640 lbs, Kubota is 3,275

My personal observations find the following differences:

1) Fuel tank is on the side of the Century waist level for easy fueling, Kubota is on the hood.
2) Engine is much more accessable and easy to open on the Century. Kubota Saleman would not even take off side panels
3) Century has splash panels on larger platform to protect from front tire spatter.
4) Kubota has a proven track record and will hold its value for resale, Century is an unknown.
5) My business partner loves Kubota, never heard of Century
6) Kubota is the only CUT I've ever operated, never had a probem.

Given these observations, is the Kubota really worth $4,100 more?

/ Century or Kubota #2  
EddieWalker
First I would like to say they are both nice tractors, but this is how I see it.
<font color="blue">
I'm comparing the Kubota L3830 to the Century 2535. Both are 4X4 with no extra features or attachments.

The Kubota price is $15,050 with GST and the Century is $10,900 with synchro shuttle shift.

Both match up very closely to each other in the charts, 32 or 31 PTO hp, 12 speeds
</font>
According to the Kubota web site the Kubota is 31 net hp and 25.5 PTO hp. The Century is 35 net hp and the 31 PTO hp. The Century has 20% more power. Major advantage

<font color="blue">
and similar warrentees and parts availability. Kubota parts are in Ft. Worth and Century is in Houston. 3 hours or 4 hours from me.

The only reall differences I could see in the charts are;

1) PTO speeds. Century is 540 and 1,000, Kubota is only 540</font>
Nice feature limited advantage
<font color="blue">
2) Hydrolics. Century is 8.9gpm, Kubota is 8.3
</font>
If you ever get any attachments (loader etc.) that need hydraulics, all else being equal the Century will operate faster.
<font color="blue">
3) Hydrolics lifting force. Century is 2,580, Kubota is 2,760
</font>
Nice feature Limited advantage.
<font color="blue">
4) Ground Clearance. Century is 11 in. Kubota is 14.8 in
</font>
Limited advantage and If you really need the ground clearance the 3035 has 13in.
<font color="blue">
5) Weight. Century is 3,640 lbs, Kubota is 3,275
</font>
All else being equal the Century will have better traction.
<font color="blue">
My personal observations find the following differences:

1) Fuel tank is on the side of the Century waist level for easy fueling, Kubota is on the hood.
</font>
Very nice feature Imagine yourself holding a five gallon can over your tractor time after time. Just thinking about that hurts.
<font color="blue">
2) Engine is much more accessable and easy to open on the Century. Kubota Saleman would not even take off side panels
</font>
Very nice feature when servicing tractor.
<font color="blue">
3) Century has splash panels on larger platform to protect from front tire spatter.
</font>
I would rather stay dry, what about you?
<font color="blue">
4) Kubota has a proven track record and will hold its value for resale, Century is an unknown.
</font>
Not completely true. Yes Century is not as well known but they have been bulding tractors for about 25 years. They build tractors for Deere and engines for Cummins. I do not think those companies would contract with and unknown. As for resale Will the Century have a lower resale value? Right now maybe slightly but remember you are paying $4100 less up front.
<font color="blue">
5) My business partner loves Kubota, never heard of Century
</font>
Have him drive the Century and read TBN discussion board,
<font color="blue">
6) Kubota is the only CUT I've ever operated, never had a probem.
</font>
Anything mechanical built by people can have a problem. But the Century reliability has been excellent. The L3830 is brand new and I believe highly computerized. The Century 2535 has been in production longer and uses simpler proven controls and sensors.

6) Century has a 40 amp alternator compared to a 40 amp

7) The Century's engine is rated 2600 RPM compared to 2700. slower is usually better.
<font color="blue">
</font>
Absolutely,!! Even if the prices were much closer. Run down there and buy it. I think if you look at the facts it is an easy decision

That's my two cents
Chipperman

/ Century or Kubota #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Given these observations, is the Kubota really worth $4,100 more?

Absolutely,!! Even if the prices were much closer. Run down there and buy it. I think if you look at the facts it is an easy decision )</font>

And now, for a less biased opinion: I disagree. I don't think the Kubota is worth $4100 more.

However, if you want to compare apples to apple, you should be comparing to the FST tranny from Kubota which I believe is $500-1000 less. Is the Kubota still worth $3100 more? Not to me.

Put aside the tractors: how do you feel about the dealers? Your comment about the Kub dealer not even pulling the side panels off was rather telling - it seemed to put you off. Have you toured their shops, talked to their service guys, seen their parts inventories?

Your prices seem to be for just the tractor - will you be getting a loader? If so, you should ABSOLUTELY test drive them with the loader on it - makes them both very different.

When I was shopping, I was impressed with both the Century/Branson tractors and the dealer who was selling them. I continue to be impressed with the comments I read here every day. I would definitely get your partner to drive the Century - afterwards, tell him each of you can have a bonus of $1500 in you pocket /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Mark

/ Century or Kubota #4  
Well now Eddie, it all basically comes down to........do you want to pay the cost of admission to be able to say you have a Kubota instead of a Century? Is it really financially responsible to pay that much more for a name? The Deeroids play that resale card all the time with Ag-tractors. If you pay more up front you should expect more at the other end. But do the math are you really getting your money's worth?

They both will do the job. Check them both out very well and pick the one you feel more comfortable with operating. Kukje has been around and has a proven track record,as does Am Jawa.

/ Century or Kubota #5  
Eddy:

I have used my import tractor for over a year, no major problems. What I got was 28 HP 4 wheel drive with FEL and Back Hoe and a Tiller and 5' Finish mower. over all cost was about what you are paying for JUST THE TRACTOR!!!! resale value/ well maybe my resale will be less but then again I only paid 7K for the tractor up front... add in all the goodies well then resale is not my concern, I intend to use it until it dies, ad then buy a 2nd one! As for the Orange vs the century? It is up to you, like someone said resale is a marketing ploy. If you keep it for 10 years how much do you expect to sell either one for? maybe 3 K for a Kub or 1 K for a century? well then figure in that the difference still hasn't came up to you're own $Anyhow I bought my unit from an out of state dealer who did the importing and I paid extra shipping to me, all well and good do I have a local parts distributor? no but I can work on it myself and when i bought it I asked and got a lot of extra parts that I thought I might need. my cost was less than 150 bucks for them...

Anyhow I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth...

Mark M
Jinma Tractor Owner. (see the CHINA FORUM FOR INFO>) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

for a few pictures check out my home page

SPIKERS DAWG HOUSE

/ Century or Kubota #6  
Couple of OOPS there Chipperman. Biggest, I think you meant the Kubota is NOT worth $4100 more. The PTO HP on the 3830 is similar to the 2535 (30.5 to 31) I think you were looking at 3130. That said and being the proud owner of a Century 3045 I second everything else. Once you own a Century, operate it for a while and really think about the tractor, you come away amazed at how well thought out everything is. Mechanically, it is purposely kept simple for dependability, yet gives up nothing in necessary features. One example, I have been reading in other forums about PTO problems. The problems are related to the electrical switch. Well, the live PTO on the Century gives away nothing functionwise, but is sure a lot simpler and more trouble free. Ditto 4WD engagement. On the new Deere 10 series for instance, you push a button to engage 4WD. Well heck, I refused to buy a 4WD Bronco once because it had that feature. Is the lever a little less convenient? a little. Is it a lot more reliable? you bet. When I think of my Century, I think of the phrase recently used by Nissan regarding their Xterra "Everything you need and nothing you don't". In some cases that includes more features than the "big three" like the splash guards and low fuel fill. Simple, rugged, reliable everything you need, Power steering, live PTO, 12 speed shuttle shift, Q/A loader and bucket, folding ROPS, yet no electrical interlocks and switches that are bound to cause problems at some point.
Pacesetter

/ Century or Kubota #7  
Oops guys
<font color="blue">
</font>
I got that backwards I ment run down there and buy the Century.
Oh well, it was late and I had just driven 500 miles and was tired. Thanks for noticing that.
Chipperman

/ Century or Kubota #8  
Pacesetter300
Yes you are right. I was looking at the L3130. Once again look at the time of my post.
Thanks again
Chipperman

/ Century or Kubota #9  
Woodbeef, if you actually compare apples to apples, things change dramatically. I'll try to straighten out the obvious and express some opinion where I see obvious differences.

1. Why is a GST transmission used against a manual? It's a more costly transmission.

2. Cost of admission to the big three, sure, it may cost some, but my Kubota L48 sold very easy. Folks out here are also going to shy away from a Century right or wrong simply because it's never been heard of. Unfortunate yes, but thats the way things work.

3. PTO HP on the FST Kubota is actually 32 HP.

4. After purchasing my L3830 HST, I looked at Century out of curiosity, no HST available so it would never even been a viable alternative.

5. Engine on the Kubota is definitely smoother and quieter.

6. Fit and finish definitely higher on the Kubota. Front axle design and power steering, definitely better.

7. A recent post in the Kubota section has a fellow looking at a L3830 FST and he was quoted $12000. Kinda makes a lot of whats been said here a little weaker argument.

Just a few of the things I observed and offer as my .02 cents worth.

Rat

/ Century or Kubota #10  
_RAT_

We all have our opions and thats what's great about this board.

In regard to your comment about fit and finish I have heard that before but with further inquiry found they had seen the older discontinued models. The fit and finish on the current Centurys and Bransons is excellent.

I still think the Century is more tractor for the money.
Chipperman