Broken Branson

/ Broken Branson #1  

Anonymous Poster

What a week, and it's not over yet.

Two problems cropped up on my 3520 in the past few days, one minor and one major.

First the minor bit. I've had the orange top pop off of the range selector knob a couple of times. Each time it happened, I simply snapped it back on. Sunday it popped off while I was mowing with the brush hog. I haven't seen it since. The dealer is going to order me a new knob.

Now the major problem. Yesterday evening I was cutting the pasture--up high of course--when the high pressure line from the power steering pump blew out. Instantly I had no steering. None, nada, naught. That is the trouble with hydrostatic steering, when it goes, it really goes.

Fortunately, I had the good sense to shut it down before the steering pump destroyed itself from lack of fluid, but I was left facing backward on the hillside with no way to get the tractor back to the shop. Since it was late, I hiked down and called it a night.

This morning I drove to the dealer, Fort Loudon Tractor, who immediately offered to pick it up with his big truck. When I told him it was steep, rough, and would require four wheel drive to get to it, he said he would send a mechanic out to fix it, and that's what he did.

We "borrowed" a hose from a 3510 sitting on his lot, and the mechanic drove out to my place and replaced my blown out hose up there on the hillside. I'm happy to report that this is the only hose they have had blow out on a Branson, but I'm not happy to have to report that it is a bear to replace.

The mechanic had some unkind words for the engineers a Kukje. The hose routing is extremely tight. This would not be so bad, but the the steering column end of the hoses do not have swivel fittings, and there is no way to disconnect any hose without first snaking the whole thing out into the open. Naturally, wrench room to unscrew the blown line's fitting was blocked by another line which had to be removed first. It was quite difficult, and it was made worse by the factory gorilla who over tightened the couplings.

I should add that the mechanic had virtually nothing bad to say about Bransons, other than these particular hydraulic fittings, which he hadn't dealt with before, and the side panel latches, which he doesn't care for.

Once we were ready to reinstall the return line, which had to be removed to gain access to the high pressure line, the mechanic said he didn't like the look of the end fitting on it, so he replaced that one too.

Anyway, everything seems to be working fine now. I do have to do a bit of cleaning up in the engine compartment, but then I should be ready to go again.

As for the rest of the week, that's a post for a different forum.

SnowRidge

/ Broken Branson #2  
Hi SnowRidge,
Sorry to here about your troubles. Sounds like you have a good dealer there in Loudon though. Hope next week gets better /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif!
jh

/ Broken Branson #3  
Most power steering hoses on smaller tractors are hard to get at especially on the steering column end---the price we pay for the modern conveniences I guess.
Can't blame Kukje ,though, for a blown hose,(unless it was kinked in installation), they buy the hose from a hydraulic hose manufacturer like every one else.
The main point I wanted to make was that you have a good dealer. I doubt that Branson will compensate him for sending a mechanic to the field to do the repair --and technically he is not obligated, under the warranty to do this free of charge. They will pay for the parts and what the labor would have cost at his shop--but not for his field call.
I know he only did what was ethically right, but many potential customers don't realize the value of a good dealer when they are shopping prices.
Service after the sale is important----and ultimately, it costs "someone" money.

dancce

/ Broken Branson
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The main point I wanted to make was that you have a good dealer. )</font>

Yes I do. Fort Loudon Tractor, Loudon TN--not too far from Knoxville--Branson, Kioti, Zetor, Cub Cadet, Toro, etc. I talk him up when I can. I'm only about ten miles away, but I know he'll send a mechanic a lot farther if need be.

SnowRidge

/ Broken Branson #5  
Maybe that darn cat was chewing on the hose /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Sorry to hear about the trouble. From what I've heard of Branson's service, I would not be surprised if they pay for the whole shootin match. Been a couple of weeks since I've had any seat time. Not good for the morale to be out so long. Good to know that if the hose blows you lose all of your steering. Might save someone from doing something that could get them hurt. Thanks for sharing.

/ Broken Branson #6  
Was it the actual hose that broke or was it the fittings that failed?

/ Broken Branson
The hose failed at the fitting, probably due to improper assembly by the hose provider. The inside of the fitting had a sharp edge that should not have been there. This particular hose comes straight back at the failure point. Of all the high pressure hoses, this is probably the least likely failure point in the whole system, which also tends to point to improper assembly.

SnowRidge

/ Broken Branson #8  
We've now had to replace 2 steering hoses on our Century 3035 and it is certainly a pain. The person we deal with for parts is quite helpful and does believe we should be able to get an adapter for the fittings, but I don't know where to look. First of all they are metric. We need it to swivel and my husband believes that if we can get a right angle fitting that would also help. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm also trying to find a place where I can price parts online. My brother-in-law has borrowed the tractor and it appears as if we need a new radiator at the least.

/ Broken Branson #9  
bassintm- You don't have your location listed, that would help someone familiar with your area to send you in the right direction.
If you remove the hose and take it to a hydraulic hose supply they should be able to identify the fittings and provide them or tell you where to look. Some areas NAPA does hose repair, that would be a place to start.

/ Broken Branson #10  
bassintm said:
We've now had to replace 2 steering hoses on our Century 3035 and it is certainly a pain. The person we deal with for parts is quite helpful and does believe we should be able to get an adapter for the fittings, but I don't know where to look. First of all they are metric. We need it to swivel and my husband believes that if we can get a right angle fitting that would also help. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm also trying to find a place where I can price parts online. My brother-in-law has borrowed the tractor and it appears as if we need a new radiator at the least.
What about going to your local dealership? The dealership should be able to make hoses and attach fittings. There should be no issue with getting right angle or other fittings, if the dealer doesn't stock them he should be able to get them from his hydraulic parts supplier and unless you are in a very remote area, it should only take about a day or two to get them into the dealer.