century 3045 driveline or clutch malfunction

/ century 3045 driveline or clutch malfunction #1  

sagebrushbilly

Tractor
century 3045
Does anyone have suggestions on the tractor splitting process for the 3045? This one is a bit different than the older domestic tractors we have had around here before. I am aware that I will be needing to move the rear half out on a floor jack, but not sure just what needs to be disconnected where.... Looking for anyone who has done it before.

Since the specs say this model has a single dry clutch disk, and it is also described as a two stage clutch,[traction half way down, pto clutch all the way down], I would appreciate any tech info on how this actually works internally. Some older tractors with two stage clutches have a double clutch or a two disk clutch. Any help out there on that ?

/ century 3045 driveline or clutch malfunction #2  
Sagebrush,

I am experiencing the exact same issue on my 2001 Century 2028 w/ C-30 System FEL. I can still move forward and backwards for a short period of time before I lose all movement. My issue started after the power steering line was pulled off by a tree branch lying on the ground. I did drain the transmission, cleaned the screen, and replaced the hydraulic oil filter, which basically gave me the ability to move the tractor back. The clutch basically has no free-play and I have done the same adjustments on the turnbuckle adjuster right behind the pedal as well. Also check the adjuster on the other side of the firewall. My tractor does not make any unusual noises like the clutch is shot but from what I read on several sites these early model Century tractors had lots of clutch issues. Century did correct the clutch issues with better clutch plate material and the number of clutch issues decreased in the newer models. I have just received the chassis manual for my Century and will probably be ordering a new clutch this week because I need my tractor to "get'r done" on my farm. I'll look at the manual and see if it covers the 3045 as well, if so i can post any relevant info that may be useful...

Regards,

P.Dittlysquat

/ century 3045 driveline or clutch malfunction
Thanks for the reply to the post on the clutch problem with the 3045. How expensive was the chassis manual ? I will be ordering a clutch soon, and may order the manual at the same time.

I have two other posts concerning this same clutch job, looking at different aspects of the issue. Dave has been helpful, and has answered some of the questions on the other post.

I don't seem to have a turnbuckle on the other side. I didn't get freeplay in the clutch pedal until the very last thread on the turnbuckle, but still no clutch or traction. Please stay in touch here, or feel free to use my email address, if you have any interesting scans to send .

I try to check my email and messages here about every 2 or 3 days.

Billy

sagebrushbilly@yahoo.com

/ century 3045 driveline or clutch malfunction
It was the clutch after all. The PTO clutch was fine, the traction clutch was just a hairball in the bottom of the bellhousing. Oddly, there was no metal to metal damage on the pressure surfaces.

Splitting the 3045 century takes quite a bit of time the first time you do it. Especially if you have no manual, but the folks on this forum helped a lot, especially Dave, at DavesTractors.

Now, I have to reassemble it.

/ century 3045 driveline or clutch malfunction #5  
I have a 2028 2000-2001 model. The other day while feeding, the tractor seemed as though the clutch was engaged even with the pedal pushed completely down. If it was out of gear you could not get it into gear and the shuttle would only work if you by pulling or pushing it as hard as you could. The play on the clutch seems to be within tolerance according to the service manual. Any ideas if this is the clutch or throwout bearing? Clutches I found on line are over $1000 for new and over $500 for rebuilt. Also it doesn't show anything on how replacement of it can be done. I sure I don't have all the tools etc to split the tractor and a loader is on it. I'm also not the best mechanic and will be working in a pole barn with packed sand floor. I worry about contamination etc causing more trouble. There are no Century or Branson dealerships close-by and some "traditional" dealerships seem reluctant to work on them. It's my "go-to" tractor for chores, so need to get her back in running condition as quickly and cheaply as possible. I'm a disabled retired Navy vet so always have to worry about robbing from Peter to pay Paul. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks Ken