2400H front end problems

/ 2400H front end problems #1  

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
On my 2400H the front wheels just randomly stop turning and slide when in 2WD. All three times it has done this is when taking off from a dead stop or stopping to change direction of travel. There is no clicking or crunching noises. I have jacked up the front wheels and spun them by hand and could not feel any binding or tightness. They have never locked while moving at anything above a slow walking pace. Does not repeat for every tire revolution nor does direction of travel make any difference.
I didn't check but estimate around 30 hours and 90% of those were in 2WD either running MMM or brush hog.

Dealer came to pick it up Saturday and fortunately it locked up twice for them while loading it on the truck. Nothing worse that dealer never witnessing the problem especially on such random failures.

I am just curious what you all think may be happening.

/ 2400H front end problems
Update:
Dealer found the problem. The input shaft bearings spun in the differential housing ruining the housing and damaged the spider gears. They have ordered a complete new front end assembly from the factory.

Best guess on the initial cause was excessive preload on the bearings but that is only a guess since the evidence has been ground up.