got weight?

/ got weight? #1  

Tchara

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3520R
After seeing a post on TBN, of someone's tractor with the FEL on the ground and the rearb tires in the air, I decided it was time to fill my rear tires.It doesn't get that cold in Texas, so I opted to use 8 gallons of WWF in each tire, then the rest with water. I had a small pump that connects to a drill to pump the water in to the tires. They cost about 8.00 at Lowes. I put the 8 gallons of WWF in plastic drum, then placed a piece of tape at the water level, so I could track how many gallons I was putting in the tire. I pumped about 4 gallons at a time, then burped the tire. Worked pretty good. Ended up putting 48 gallons of fluid in each tire. That comes out to about 385 pounds in each tire. That should keep my loader in the air and my tires on the ground. Here's some pics of the project if anyone is interested.

sorry for the upside down pics. Coudn't figure out how to delete them.

Attachments

• water1.jpeg
    water1.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 108
  • water2.jpeg
    water2.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 111
  • water3.jpeg
    water3.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 110
  • water4.jpeg
    water4.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 111
  • water1.jpeg
    water1.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 139
  • water2.jpeg
    water2.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 104
  • water3.jpeg
    water3.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 98
  • water4.jpeg
    water4.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 130
   / got weight? #2  
That works.
I did mine SLIGHTLY differently on the Century C42.
I just took the weight off the tire being filled (floor jack) then used a siphon, no pump.
It was kinda slow, but speeded up a lot once I put the 55 gallon drum in the loader and raised it as high as possible.
My 17.5Lx24 R4s took nearly 60 gallons of RimGuard each.
I don't know which loader you have, but my Humpolec 50HL can still pop the rear tire off the ground if I don't ALSO have the back hoe on - another 1100 or so pounds and it is WAY farther back (-:

These tires are now dangerously heavy when dismounted and I swap them out for unloaded turf tires for the mowing season.
If you do this be very careful handling them, I use an engine crane to get them on and off, moving them around one at a time with the FEL.
I chain or strap to the other (FEL or engine crane) before releasing from the first, even so I am always ready to just let things go if things get ugly.
Know which way you will hop if/when you need to, 1100 or 1200 lbs of wheel isn't something to throw yourself under to stop it from falling (-:
Get outta there, figure out how to pick it up again later.
When empty I could stand 'em up from laying down - I wouldn't even try that with them loaded.

/ got weight?
Ive have a Westendorf 170 loader. The original loader that came with the Branson did not have the height I needed to load my dump truck. This loader goes about 10 feet up, hence filling my tires.I have a box blade on the back, and may add a little weight to that, to make the box blade more efficient. I guess as long as you get the water in there, it doesn't matter how you do it. How much did the Rim Guard cost? I looked into it, but never could find a dealer in my area. Don't have a lot to worry about living in Texas, but I might wait till this fall and add anti freeze, or start over with rim guard if I can find it.

/ got weight? #4  
Fairly sure I paid $3 a gallon a few (maybe 5) years ago.
I scrounged up three 55 gallon plastic drums, loaded them in a horse trailer ON A PALLET with my pallet forks, so I could be sure I could get them out when filled.
Three in a triangle with a couple of ratchet straps around them were quite stable.

Even straight water takes a LONG TIME to freeze up hard in a large tire.
The insulation of a tire carcass is quite good and 50 or 60 gallons represents a lot of "thermal mass", plus if you get just a few hours of sunshine on a big black tire the solar gain helps.
Not saying you could get away with straight water in Maine, or even some parts of Texas, say Amarillo, but a light frost won't freeze a tire solid.

/ got weight? #5  
I just paid $3 / gallon a few weeks ago. Only advantage with rimguard is it adds about 30% more weight than water. A lot harder to pump though since it is syrup Vs water.

Will the WWF prevent the rims from rusting? Not sure if this is an issue with water or not?