Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #1  

Dusty Discs

Tractor
Branson 4720h / John Deere 855
First things first: GREETINGS TO ALL! New member here and I'm looking forward to many interesting discussions concerning the object of our professions, hobbies, toys or however you describe all things tractor. I'll get to the point.

After extensive review of this forum, I was ready (I thought) to tackle the initial service on my Branson 4720h. Warmed up Big Red, drained the Hydro oil, cleaned the screen, changed the hydraulic and transmission filters (OEM) all with no problems. (A friend stopped by and we B.S.'d until I was called for dinner. (I'll finish tomorrow.)
Next morning, while changing the oil in the front axle, I encountered the issues that are the subject of this post.
I first drained the right side and only a little over 3 qts. came out. I next checked the dip stick (left side) and it showed the oil level right in the middle of the safe zone. I then drained the left side and got about the same amount for a total of about 6.3 qts from the front axle. This is over a quart less than the capacity of the system (7.4 qts.) according to the owner's manual. OK, so it wasn't all the way full. No concern (yet). The manual also said there are 3 drain plugs for the front axle but I could only find two plus one burp plug, all with yellow paint. Is there a third drain plug that I missed? Maybe some used oil that I did not drain out? Starting to get concerned. I next reinstalled the two drain plugs. I expected to add about the same quantity of oil as I removed but NO! I was only able to add about 60 fl. oz. (1.875 qts) on each side when I reached the full mark on the dip stick. What gives?

Summary: I remove 6.3 qts. from a 7.4 qt. system when the dip stick reads in the middle of the safe zone. I then refill the system with only 5.0 qts. and the dip stick reads full. That doesn't seem OK. Any ideas?

Another issue: The owner's manual calls for the same hydro oil in both the hydro system and the front axle. My gut tells me this is wrong. Should be gear oil in the front axle, right? Did I screw up again by putting hydro oil in the front axle? I think I probably did. If so, how do I get all 7.4 qts. out when only 6.3 qts. (or 5 qts.) comes out when drained. Or are the manual specs. wrong and the system really holds less.
Whew. That's it. Sorry I got so windy but I am both confused and concerned. Big Red is parked and will remain so until I get these issues resolved and questions answered. I trust the good folks who read these posts can shed some light on these matters.
Thanks in advance for all responses.

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #2  
Kukje which makes Branson does recommend hydraulic fluid in the front axle, you were right in putting it in there. I would button everything back up and drive the tractor forward and backward a few times and check again. This would purge the casings of any air pockets that might have formed that could give a false measurement. If it shows full I would use the tractor normally and just monitor the fluid. You could also take the burp plug out of the right side and make sure its not stopped up.

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #3  
First things first: GREETINGS TO ALL! New member here and I'm looking forward to many interesting discussions concerning the object of our professions, hobbies, toys or however you describe all things tractor. I'll get to the point.

After extensive review of this forum, I was ready (I thought) to tackle the initial service on my Branson 4720h. Warmed up Big Red, drained the Hydro oil, cleaned the screen, changed the hydraulic and transmission filters (OEM) all with no problems. (A friend stopped by and we B.S.'d until I was called for dinner. (I'll finish tomorrow.)
Next morning, while changing the oil in the front axle, I encountered the issues that are the subject of this post.
I first drained the right side and only a little over 3 qts. came out. I next checked the dip stick (left side) and it showed the oil level right in the middle of the safe zone. I then drained the left side and got about the same amount for a total of about 6.3 qts from the front axle. This is over a quart less than the capacity of the system (7.4 qts.) according to the owner's manual. OK, so it wasn't all the way full. No concern (yet). The manual also said there are 3 drain plugs for the front axle but I could only find two plus one burp plug, all with yellow paint. Is there a third drain plug that I missed? Maybe some used oil that I did not drain out? Starting to get concerned. I next reinstalled the two drain plugs. I expected to add about the same quantity of oil as I removed but NO! I was only able to add about 60 fl. oz. (1.875 qts) on each side when I reached the full mark on the dip stick. What gives?

Summary: I remove 6.3 qts. from a 7.4 qt. system when the dip stick reads in the middle of the safe zone. I then refill the system with only 5.0 qts. and the dip stick reads full. That doesn't seem OK. Any ideas?

Another issue: The owner's manual calls for the same hydro oil in both the hydro system and the front axle. My gut tells me this is wrong. Should be gear oil in the front axle, right? Did I screw up again by putting hydro oil in the front axle? I think I probably did. If so, how do I get all 7.4 qts. out when only 6.3 qts. (or 5 qts.) comes out when drained. Or are the manual specs. wrong and the system really holds less.
Whew. That's it. Sorry I got so windy but I am both confused and concerned. Big Red is parked and will remain so until I get these issues resolved and questions answered. I trust the good folks who read these posts can shed some light on these matters.
Thanks in advance for all responses.
isn't there a drain plug for the center differential of the front axle, maybe it's recessed ?

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #4  
I checked the fluid in my front axle, but there wasn't a dip stick (3520R). The manual said there was one on the right side of the axle.But just the cap. I filled the front axle to the threads. Can you over fill the axle. It's a brand new tractor, and took almost 2 quarts.

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #5  
I checked the fluid in my front axle, but there wasn't a dip stick (3520R). The manual said there was one on the right side of the axle.But just the cap. I filled the front axle to the threads. Can you over fill the axle. It's a brand new tractor, and took almost 2 quarts.

On my 4720h the dipstick is on the left side. I seem to recall someone in the past on this site saying the manual had the wrong side stated. From what I've seen on Branson literature, which is sub par, this is very possible. As far as adding too much, I'm pretty sure you don't want to do that. As it heats up, this could cause problems with expansion. When I changed mine, I was (unlike you) able to check the level with the dipstick. You look on the left side? (BTW, I only found two drain plugs for the front axle.)

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #6  
Changing oil in the front axle is a time consuming process. They drain slow and fill slow. We always watch the amount that came out (as long as it was correct) and the amount that goes back in. Pressure can get trapped in the outer housings. We lift the front wheels off the ground and pivot the axle to each side for awhile. Then with the correct amount in the axle we run it around the yard, then let it sit overnight if we can and then recheck it. A good rule of thumb is the oil should be a little over half way up in the main housing. We use 80w90 gear oil in the front axle. A MTF hyd oil would work in the front axle, the rear axle and trans uses a MTF hyd oil and has the same type of gears so it would not hurt anything. It may make more noise when hot due to MTF is thin and has no tack. The R series Branson calls for 80w90 gear oil.

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #7  
I read your post yesterday, and when I got home tonight looked on the left side for the dip stick and found one. The manual says right side. And as feared I over filled it, so I drained enough out to get it in the operating range of the dip stick. Gonna drive it a little bit then check it again.

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #8  
so that big yellow screw on top of the axle is the dip stick .is it really a screw or a plastic cover over the screw that pops off. I'm no mechanic but I'm retired and trying to save a few bucks . but I do have a 15 acre crawfish pond that keeps me busy . please help me.

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #9  
whats a burp plug and what does it look like

/ Branson 4720h initial service / Issues and Concerns / Information Needed #10  
On my 3725 there's a red plastic fill plug on the right hub gear housing and a yellow painted hex nut with dipstick on the left. Each hub housing has a drain plug but the oil is common for the entire axle and both housings.