Broken Branson

/ Broken Branson #1  

Tchara

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3520R
My Branson 3520R 4WD went out yesterday. The tractor has 25 hours on it. Anyone have any ideas what I could check before hauling it 100 miles to the dealership? I crawled under it, and removed the shaft housing, and the shaft seems to be tight and intact. The oil level is full in the front axle and transmission.

/ Broken Branson #2  
Holy smokes, you just got the tractor! Warranty better cover the repairs, if any are needed. I probably would not have turned a wrench at all, just done some simple function checks.

Something I might do is (with 4wd engaged, tractor sitting) lift the front tires off the ground (loader works well for that) and try to rotate the tires by hand (other side tire should rotate opposite direction), to check for differential function and unusual noises. If that seems normal, see if you can rotate the front drive shaft by hand without the front tires turning. BE VERY CAREFUL - DO THAT TEST WITH FRONT END UP ON BLOCKS AND ENGINE OFF. Any more than that should be the dealer's problem to deal with under warranty. Good luck and I hope some more experienced folks chime in soon.

/ Broken Branson #3  
I'd be looking at the 4x4 shifting linkage to see if a pin came out.

/ Broken Branson #4  
Is your 4WD mechanical of electric engage on the 3520? If mechanical does it feel like the shift lever is doing anything? On all of the mechanical engaged 4WD tractors I have owned you could always feel the gears moving or some resistance on the lever. If electrical I would check for a blown fuse or power at the switch.

/ Broken Branson #5  
if it's in warranty.. I'd do nothing.

if it's outta warranty.. I'd verify the shaft turns when it is engaged. if it does.. then I'd look at front ring gear and then axle shafts.. only takes a set of bad rivits or one snapped shaft in an open diffy to make it freewheel.

/ Broken Branson #6  
Is the 4WD lever still attached and does it feel like it is doing anything?

/ Broken Branson
Yes its still attached and feels like its working. I lifted the tires off the ground and spun one wheel. The other tire spun in an opposite direction. I put jack stands under the front axle and removed the shaft housing. The shaft spun freely with the MFWD disengaged. When the MFWD was engaged, the shaft was locked, with just a little free play, but would not turn the front wheels-not by hand anyway. Didn't want to use a pipe wrench on the shaft.

/ Broken Branson
I lifted the tires off the ground and spun one wheel. The other tire spun in an opposite direction. I put jack stands under the front axle and removed the shaft housing. The shaft spun freely with the MFWD disengaged. When the MFWD was engaged, the shaft was locked, with just a little free play, but would not turn the front wheels-not by hand anyway. Didn't want to use a pipe wrench on the shaft.

The shifter is mechanical, and seems to be engaging properly. Guess I'll be making a trip to San Marcus this week.

/ Broken Branson #9  
so far the front diffy sounds like it is working.

keep us posted..

/ Broken Branson #10  
Yes its still attached and feels like its working. I lifted the tires off the ground and spun one wheel. The other tire spun in an opposite direction. I put jack stands under the front axle and removed the shaft housing. The shaft spun freely with the MFWD disengaged. When the MFWD was engaged, the shaft was locked, with just a little free play, but would not turn the front wheels-not by hand anyway. Didn't want to use a pipe wrench on the shaft.

With the rear wheels on the ground the shaft may not turn depending on what is broke.