Branson 3510 fuel issues

/ Branson 3510 fuel issues #1  

Yalerider

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3510i w/FEL
Hi,

I have an issue with my 3510i. It won't run at higher rpmsfor long, it slows way down, then picks up again. I checked all the fuel lines and the lift pump. The lift pump seem not to be working, it still makes noise but I tried pumping into a container and nothing coming out. Wonder if I need to prime it? I did try another pump I had bought online awhile back but it was worse.

/ Branson 3510 fuel issues #2  
Hi,

I have an issue with my 3510i. It won't run at higher rpmsfor long, it slows way down, then picks up again. I checked all the fuel lines and the lift pump. The lift pump seem not to be working, it still makes noise but I tried pumping into a container and nothing coming out. Wonder if I need to prime it? I did try another pump I had bought online awhile back but it was worse.

You are certainly on the right track. But if the lift pump does not work nor does the replacement, I'd look for a clog in the system between the tank and the lift pump. You could blow a little bit of air back through the line. That will knock any junk out of the line and back into the tank. Then try the lift pump output test again. You need a steady stream out of the lift pump, through the filter and into the FIP. If that does fix it, you will have to decide if you just want to keep an eye on things and use it like it is, or drop the tanks and clean them.

/ Branson 3510 fuel issues
You are certainly on the right track. But if the lift pump does not work nor does the replacement, I'd look for a clog in the system between the tank and the lift pump. You could blow a little bit of air back through the line. That will knock any junk out of the line and back into the tank. Then try the lift pump output test again. You need a steady stream out of the lift pump, through the filter and into the FIP. If that does fix it, you will have to decide if you just want to keep an eye on things and use it like it is, or drop the tanks and clean them.

I already did the blowback and it sounds clean, I will take another look at the lines and see if one is leaking.

/ Branson 3510 fuel issues #4  
I already did the blowback and it sounds clean, I will take another look at the lines and see if one is leaking.

I've seen the fittings going into and out of the fuel bowl/filter come loose and suck air. But that would not account for the lift pump doing poorly.

I actually didn't try the replacement pump into the container. I will try that next, but the original lift pump should be strong enought to lift the fuel without priming, correct?

/ Branson 3510 fuel issues #6  
I actually didn't try the replacement pump into the container. I will try that next, but the original lift pump should be strong enought to lift the fuel without priming, correct?

Yes, it should not need priming. If it does, it is failing.

Thanks Dave, I got it going, it was a double whammy. First issue was bad lift pump, put replacement in and then noticed it was not getting through to fuel filter assembly very well, just trickling. I took the fuel filter assembly apart and blew it all out, also the filter top had come apart. Put it back together and RPM and power galore!

/ Branson 3510 fuel issues #9  
I just bought a Branson 3510H. After I got it home and unloaded it I took it for a couple of turns. After the second run it began making a whining noise so I killed it and checked all the fluids. There was basically no front differential fluid, engine oil was okay, and hydraulic / transmission fluid was almost empty. I topped all the fluids off but still have the whining noise. Any thoughts on this? Or is this normal? It only makes this noise in 2nd and 3rd. Please Help!

/ Branson 3510 fuel issues #10  
I just bought a Branson 3510H. After I got it home and unloaded it I took it for a couple of turns. After the second run it began making a whining noise so I killed it and checked all the fluids. There was basically no front differential fluid, engine oil was okay, and hydraulic / transmission fluid was almost empty. I topped all the fluids off but still have the whining noise. Any thoughts on this? Or is this normal? It only makes this noise in 2nd and 3rd. Please Help!

If the hydraulic/transmission fluid was almost empty, then it took you 10 gallons to get it up to the line, as that is what it holds. Now if you mean it was near the bottom of the sight glass, then you added a couple of quarts maybe. Please clarify on that. And did you put over a gallon in the front axle? Generally the Branson assembly plant is pretty good at getting the fluid levels really close, and the dealer at the pre-delivery inspection should catch any issues like that. Sometimes when a loader is first installed and cycled a few times it will consume a little oil as it displaces the air in the new cylinders, etc. So a little top off at the dealer inspection level is normal. If it really was dry in the front axle and hydraulics, I'd be talking to the dealer. But I don't think an HST will even move if it is that low.

But lets say it was gallons low but the HST still had enough oil to move the tractor. That would likely foam up the oil, and air entrained in the oil will make the HST noisy. But the air will clear itself (the trans housing is vented) if the tractor just sits for a while.

The HST units in Bransons are noisy. They are really strong and trouble free, but louder than many other HST systems. Per Branson, they are also stronger at pulling, putting more HP at the drawbar than most other HST systems, but the trade-off is noise. And the decibels go up as the range shifter goes to higher ranges. I've not tested that statement of strength vs sound levels, but I do find that the HST Bransons will pull a ground engaging implement very well.