Buying Advice Branson 2400/2800

/ Branson 2400/2800 #1  

thekidb

Tractor
Branson 2800h
I am considering the Branson 2400h or 2800h. I like the turbo, but I'm after a tractor that will last me for years. That being said, does anyone have any input on the reliability of these tractors? How long has Branson been using the turbo? Any other issues on this model? Thanks.

/ Branson 2400/2800 #2  
What will you be using this tractor for? The extra 4 HP from the turbo can only be used for PTO work since these are small tractors and they loose traction before they run out of power.

I have 70+ hours on my 2400H and have had the following problems repaired under warranty.

Steering unit was replaced before I purchased it. It was defective or damaged during assembly or start-up.

Front axle assembly replaced at 24.5 hrs. Input shaft bearings were not preloaded correctly causing them to fail and grind up the housing.

Safety switch on the clutch replaced at 28 hrs. The design allowed water to get in and cause the switch to freeze up. New design is sealed better and has not been a problem.

I purchased the 1200X FEL with has a higher lift capacity and larger bucket and have moved 30 + yards of dirt since replacing the front axle with no more problems.

Tractor appears to be well built and I expect several years of use from this machine. My dealer was also the Century dealer before becoming a Branson dealer and they have two on their lot with over 2000 hours on them and still going strong.

Installing the MMM requires either building ramps so that you drive over the deck or using a jack or the FEL to raise the front end. The gear box will clear the front drive shaft or lift arms if you don't do this.

Kukje is the Korean division of Cummins diesel and they have been doing that for few years so I would expect the turbo to not be a problem.

The 60" MMM at a reasonable travel speed will not make the 24 HP unless you are in long grass that plugs the discharge. A 4-foot Bush hog is also not a load at reasonable speed on level ground.

Mechanical PTO clutch to me is a big plus. I can feather the clutch Vs an electric clutch.

3PH is smooth and holds position relatively well when using the bush hog.

Steering cylinder and tie rods are in front of the axle so they could be damaged if bulldozing trees.

Like all CUT's with the FEL on the headlights are of limited use.

Last edited:
   / Branson 2400/2800
I currently have a 18 HP Yanmar with 14 PTO HP. I'm looking for an upgrade in the same basic size.....loader, power steering, HST, etc.... The extra 4 HP of the 2800 would be nice on the PTO, but that's about 5 hours per year for bush hogging. Probably not enough for me to take the chance on the turbo. Typical use would be more pulling and hauling wood, moving dirt/gravel, scraper blade work, etc.... Like you, I want my next purchase to last many years so I'll probably steer clear of the turbo.

How does the hydro perform? I know that in some small units (Kioti specifically), the high range is basically useless.

Thanks for your input.

/ Branson 2400/2800 #4  
I pull my 54" tandem disc in high range when discing the garden. In 2WD it would spin the tires in 4WD it would not spin them but it also never stalled out. Pushing into a dirt pile and lifting in 4WD in high range will stall the HST but I would expect this. I do all my mowing in high range but my property is flat.

On mine the HST has a large neutral zone especially when cold. This can cause an abrupt start and is annoying, once warm this problem goes away so I suspect it has something to do with orifices in the HST control.

I wouldn't worry about the turbo. With proper care they will run along time. Our 5000 Ford had the Turbo installed in 68 and it was still running strong in 88 when we sold it to the neighbor.

One other item: The seat safety switch operation: With the PTO engaged and you shift your weight and activate the switch it shuts the engine off since the clutch is mechanical you can't just shut the PTO off. Unplugging the switch solves this problem but it also eliminates this switch from the circuit. Not an issue for me since I have never had a safety switch on mower before this.

PTO selector: The Mid PTO 2500 RPM & rear 960 RPM PTO run at the same time. I.e. you cannot leave the 540 RPM bush hog connected and run the MMM at 2500 PTO.

540 RPM rear runs independent of the mid PTO so that you can run a rear implement with the MMM mower attached.

/ Branson 2400/2800
I tried out a 2400 and 2800h yesterday. I am very impressed with this tractor. It really is a small tractor instead of a large lawn mower.

/ Branson 2400/2800 #6  
Yes they are. I looked at and priced similar models from Bota, MF and the price difference was substantial. Bota and MF probably have a larger dealer network and possibly a little more refined but so far I am happy with Branson.

One item that is a problem is filling the fuel tank. Filler has a dogleg in it so it is next to impossible to see when the tank is getting full and running it over is very easy to do.

/ Branson 2400/2800
I guess it's down to whether or not I trust the turbo.

Last edited:
   / Branson 2400/2800 #8  
Well,

Which one did you buy?

/ Branson 2400/2800
Well,

Which one did you buy?

Bought the 2800h and never looked back. Approaching 100 hours with no issues at all. The extra power is great when brush hogging waist high grass, and the extra weight of the Branson vs. some of the other models really helps out when working in the woods. I also put a 2400 through its paces, but the extra HP won out in the end.

/ Branson 2400/2800 #10  
One other item: The seat safety switch operation: With the PTO engaged and you shift your weight and activate the switch it shuts the engine off since the clutch is mechanical you can't just shut the PTO off. Unplugging the switch solves this problem but it also eliminates this switch from the circuit. Not an issue for me since I have never had a safety switch on mower before this.

PTO selector: The Mid PTO 2500 RPM & rear 960 RPM PTO run at the same time. I.e. you cannot leave the 540 RPM bush hog connected and run the MMM at 2500 PTO.

540 RPM rear runs independent of the mid PTO so that you can run a rear implement with the MMM mower attached.

We just purchase 2400H and I run the irrigation pump using the rear pto. I do not have to be in the seat to run the pto. I just push the clutch in standing next to the tractor and and engage the 540 pto and pump all the water I need.

Eric