I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today #1  

Stimw

Elite Member
I changed the battery in my 3510 today. It was cranking a little slow. I bought the tractor new in 2005 so the battery only lasted 8 years! Doesn't anything last anymore??? :)
Now the complaints.
For starters the Owners/Repair Manual does not give battery group. All it says is 12V.
The markings on the battery are pointed toward the radiator so you can't see them.
You have to take the nose body piece off which is tight with a front bumper.
You have to take the air cleaner completely off which is a PITA.
I measured the old battery and came up with a group 33. I went to TS and the closest they had to the measurements was a group 31.
I bought the 31 Comercial made by Exide (very good batteries) for $99. plus the fees.
The new battery fit BUT was 1/4" taller so the top hold down didn't fit. I had to drill the holes out on the bracket and could not use the rubber piece.
I have my own business and am used to estimating repair times. I would put the time between 1 and 2 hours depending on if you had replaced one before.

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today #2  
I have been jumping my B7500 for almost a year now. One of the cells went dry and I didn't catch it in time. If I had added acid then, I would have been alright. But I added water and now I don't remember which one it was that went dry. If it would just leak down a little I would know which cell it was and could take out the water and add acid.

As it only takes a minute to jump, and Kabota wants $130 for a new one, I'll keep jumping until I take the time to look at different parts houses. The battery is tall and thin. When I looked at TSC they didn't carry it. I do want to get one the right size so I don't have issues with the closures.

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today
With my 3510 you can't even see the battery much less be able to jump it without taking the front end apart! That's why I changed it at the first sign of weakness.
8 years is a good run with the OEM battery.

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today #4  
Thanx for the warning, Stimw! I bought my 3510 in May '05 and am still running the original battery - in Colorado winters!! I'd better start looking for a replacement before this winter sets in. AND my convenient, nearby dealer closed up ahop a couple years ago.

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today #5  
My 05/06 is still on its original, though I took it out once to bench charge it.
Not THAT bad for access IMO - I've certainly handled worse.

I get generic department store batteries, Walmart or Autozone.
There is an Exide listing in most stores and probably on line.

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today #6  
Air cleaner removal is usual maintenance....right? After you do it a couple times it isn't THAT bad. Maybe I'm just glad to have a handy little tractor that is relatively trouble-free.....I have had to deal with way, WAY worse. Frankly, TSC is probably the biggest problem you had mentioned. Seems like over the years they have switched from implement maintenance to horse feeding and maintenance. Carquest has all the maintenance parts I need for my 3510i.

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today
The biggest problem was having to work around the front bumper. It limits access to the front.
I went to TSC for the battery because they sell Exide Batteries.
Exide makes a great battery verses some of the Never Heard of Brands that the auto stores and discount stores sell.

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today #8  
I had to charge the battery on my 8 year old 3510i. I've owned this tractor for 4 years and didn't know where the battery was. You can't see it even with the hood up. The manual is no help at all. If not for this thread, I would still be looking. Thanks.

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today #9  
I had to charge the battery on my 8 year old 3510i. I've owned this tractor for 4 years and didn't know where the battery was. You can't see it even with the hood up. The manual is no help at all. If not for this thread, I would still be looking. Thanks.

I am probably going to regret this, but I have had mine over 10 years on my century 2535 and the thing is still going strong. And yes it is a pain to get to in the front beneath the air cleaner.

I just wish and adapter was made that could plug into the rear electrical outlet so I could run auxiliary battery powered equipment such as spot sprayers without having to connect to the battery cables. Does anyone have any experience with the finding a compatible plug in adapter? W. Jones

/ I Changed the Battery in My 3510 Today #10  
I am probably going to regret this, but I have had mine over 10 years on my century 2535 and the thing is still going strong. And yes it is a pain to get to in the front beneath the air cleaner.

I just wish and adapter was made that could plug into the rear electrical outlet so I could run auxiliary battery powered equipment such as spot sprayers without having to connect to the battery cables. Does anyone have any experience with the finding a compatible plug in adapter? W. Jones

I got to run mine flat a couple of times, so STARTED a project to put a pair of remote jumper/booster studs on it.
I got as far as running a pair of fat wires out from the battery, taped the ends and resolved to either make or buy "something".
The "plan" was to run them out to a pair of studs that real booster cables could be clipped onto - I might still do that (-:
I haven't got back to it. If/when I need a boost I suppose I will unwrap the wires and jumper to them.
About 8 years on my original battery too, Century 42 just as American Jawa was closing down and putting the warranty work onto Branson.

Hmmm, I should PROBABLY pull that battery out before winter and check its acid levels and S.G., clean up the terminals too.

PS "fat wires" in the above means a couple of lengths of cheap battery booster cables, I don't know the exact gauge.
Walmart/Harbor_Freight price/quality level. It is a LITTLE diesel & doesn't need the sort of current a truck diesel starter motor does.