Century 2535 Opinions and used purchase prices?

/ Century 2535 Opinions and used purchase prices? #1  

tangstang79

Tractor
n/a
Hello, I just found a Century 2535 4x4 with a C50 loader and 166 hours. It is for sale locally only a few miles away. The owner said that he is the original owner since it was new in 2004, and used it for clearing snow from his lane, and unloading round bales from the back of his pickup truck when he used to have a few horses, along with brushhogging. I asked him if everying worked as it should and the only thing he said he noticed is the "glow plugs don't click anymore" Now i have never been around a tractor when it has been cold started. I understand how glowplugs work (i have 4 other diesels between cars/trucks) I just am not sure i understand what he means when he says its not clicking, other than maybe the relay/selinoid isn't working. Anyway he said it was 15 deg that morning and it still started.

For those of you that own these tractors not just the 2535 if you have any info on any of the Century tractors i would appreciate it. Also what do you think a good price would be if I was to offer something on it?

Are parts hard to find?

This isn't exactly what i am looking for. But it is VERY close to me and i think the price he is asking is pretty decent. I have been looking at the FOTON'S and have driven the TB504 and am really set on having a cab with heat/ac. Honestly i don't think i need the extra 15hp but the cab would be very nice when its 15deg and 20mph winds. SO i'm undecided on what i want to do, offer on the century or save and wait til summer and try to get a foton.

/ Century 2535 Opinions and used purchase prices? #2  
I have the exact same tractor and loader combo which I bought in 2004 and now have over 700 hours on it. If the glow plugs were bad it would not start in 15 degree weather. I just replaced two of mine last week and they do make a difference. Probably the clicking is the fuel pump. Other than the glow plugs I have replaced my fuel pump with one from Napa which works fine. You can order most parts from Branson parts direct. A lot of folks have cross referenced filters with other major brands. After 10 years some of the hoses on the loader gave out, but they can be replaced at any place that makes up hydraulic lines. The only other thing I would note is that when brush hogging in the summer watch your temperature gauge. In tall grass and brush the radiator will clog and the the tractor can run hot. But blowing it out with an air hose take care of the problem. I made an extra wire screen that fit on the front bumper and that kept many of the fines out of the radiator thus extending the times between cleaning.

For its size I find it tougher than a lot of the comparable major brands. What you probably do not know is that the frame and transmission are designed for motors up to 50 hp and so are oversized for 35 hp. It is a basic unit without very many frills and thus is reliable and durable. The amount of work you can do is pretty amazing. Most of my problems have been operator error and not problems with the tractor.

I hope this will help. Willie Jones

/ Century 2535 Opinions and used purchase prices?
Thanks, that actually helps out alot. I know with my jetta TDI will not start when its 15 without the GP's. I just wasn't sure what he would have been talking about when he said that it doesnt click. I will have to get ahold of him and go check it out when it warms up a little.

My main concern was the ability to get parts since i have read they went out of buisness. What model branson is the equivialant?

thanks again.

/ Century 2535 Opinions and used purchase prices? #4  
Branson 3510 - However the website also refers to the 2535 and the C-35 which are all the same tractor. W Jones

Thanks for your help. I looked at it this morning it was -8F outside this morn and it was running. He did say he had to jump it but he said it was pretty close to going without. I drove it a little and looked it over. It did have a very small engine oil leak that i couldnt tell where it was coming from but it was like a quarter size in the snow. I'm picking it up tomorrow morning and he's giving me an old brushhog along with the bale spear with it. SO i'm sure i'll be back with a bunch more questions after i have it for a few days.

First quesion is what type engine oil is to be used in these? What are decent brand filters both hydraulic and engine? And how often should they along with the fluids be changed?

/ Century 2535 Opinions and used purchase prices? #6  
I have a 2535 that I bought new in 2003 with almost 600 hours on it. I don't have a loader on mine, I just use it for mowing and post hole digging. I've found that it has a lot of power, it's very reliable and consider it a quality machine. I never liked that they had both Branson and Century competing against each other when they are basically the same machine, but now that it's just Branson, I haven't had any problems with parts.

The fuel pump is prone to go bad on you. My dealer suggested replacing it with an electric one for a fraction of the cost of a new mechanical one. Mr Gasket makes them for diesel that work great. It was easy to install and it's lasted years.

The power steering tank will probably start to leak on you where the hoses connect to the tank. It's plastic and the vibration of the hoses will cause the plastic to break. There is a very nice metal replacement tank out there that is simple and easy to replace it with.

The exhaust points down and that really bothered me when going across dry ground. it just created a dust cloud that you had to sit there and suffer through. While the engine was hot, I put a crow bar into the end of it and bent it out to the side. Problem solved!!!

The site glass on the rear axle, where all the hydraulic fluid is stored might come out or start to leak. I just cleaned it up and glued it back in with clear silicone. It's been a few years and I haven't had another leak.

The latch on my hood started to give me trouble within a year. It was almost impossible to get it to unlatch once the hood was closed. I finally just took it out and rely on the weight of the hood to keep it down. Never had an issue with it, but when I tow it somewhere, I strap the hood down.

The seat isn't very comfortable. After an hour you will wish you had a different seat. I bought a cushion for handicapped people on ebay that is very comfortable. I can mow all day long in comfort now.

I run a six foot bush hog on mine, which is about max for it. It's nice to cut an area wider then the tires and it's plenty powerful enough to take out small trees!!! I also run a 7 foot finish mower that cuts very nicely.

I don't know what it's worth, but with so few hours on it, it's going to be a very nice tractor if you are comfortable with the price.

Eddie

/ Century 2535 Opinions and used purchase prices? #7  
For engine oil I use Shell Rotella 15w - 40. If you check past posts you will find other recommendations that also work well. Recommended intervals for engine oil are every 100 hours. But it really depends if you are in dusty conditions or not. I usually change every 75. Complete fluid change outs are recommended every 300 hours. Some do some do not follow those intervals. it requires a lot of hydraulic fluid to do a complete change. I have never had an engine oil leak, but plenty of fuel line leaks, especial when I snag something in the woods. As Eddie Walker mentions you will see occasional hydraulic line leaks, but they are easy to repair. I have worked with farm tractors for > 50 years and this one holds up with the old iron. With the 4wd you can out pull most of the older 2wd farm tractors. It really comes in handy when doing loader work. W. Jones

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if i should run 15w/40 in the winter or drop to 5w40? I will get it home and look it over to see where the leak was coming from. It may have even been the drain plug dripping as i noticed it was very near where the stain in the snow was.

He said he has the owners manual and paperwork from when he bought it. I'm hoping that will give me a little info on fluid capacitys and change intervals so i don't forget.

/ Century 2535 Opinions and used purchase prices? #9  
I replace my fluids every spring, once I get to thinking it's time to start mowing. I don't pay attention to hours, I just like to have fresh fluids and filters every year. I buy them at ABC auto, but have bought from Napa too.

Eddie

I just came inside from unloading it from the trailer and playing with it a little About as much as I could take with the -15 wind chill. He mentioned it to me and i noticed that the fuel gauge works intermittantly. I'm guessing its a bad connection on the wiring somwhere since its working one time and the next time i look at it its below E. No problem i'll have to check that out when it warms up and i just dumped another 3-4 gallons of fuel into it to make sure i don't run out in the next few days of fiddling with it.

I got a chance to crawl under and check out the oil leak. It looks like its dripping off of the oil filter. I'm guessing maybe it just needs snugged up a little or the Seal on the filter has a nick in it. I will check that out when i change the oil and see if there is any other place it can be coming from thats above the filter and then dripping off of the filter.

Do you happen to have the Filter cross reference #'s?