Buying Advice Branson Problem - Need Advice

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #11  
Hmmmm...interesting problem. Could they be related.........yes and no. Possibly he could have been riding the clutch to get the tractor to move. But if the clutch was not engaged the whole time........then I'd wonder about something else than the disc being fried. Did the tractor stink of burnt clutch disc? If he smoked it there should be evidence in the bottom of the bellhousing.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #12  
JonMark -

Part of this story reminds me of an embarassing situation I was in many years ago. While in high school, I was asked to drive the two daughters of our local Baptist minister, and some of their friends, to their band practice in the minister's car. The minister was out of town. The trip went fine, but on the way back, after letting the others off, I let one of the girls drive. I shouldn't have done it, but that went fine as well - no mishaps. A day or two later, when I visited my uncle (next door to the minister), the minister asked me some very embarassing questions. He was trying to figure out who had spun ruts in his lawn and peeled the retreads off his snow tires! It seems the young ladies had done some joy riding on their own after I left.

My point in telling this tale here is that someone else, kids likely, may have had access to your tractor during the time that your friend borrowed it, and they may have done the damage.

With regard to "splitting" a tractor in two to replace the clutch, that's standard procedure on a lot of tractor models. The way they are constructed, that's how they have to come apart. It's labor intensive, and best done by someone who has the right tools and has a clue what they are doing. Otherwise, it's no big deal.

Good luck on your repairs.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #13  
We've had one 4520 that the bolts came loose on. We fixed it immediately under warranty. We check all new tractors and all tractors coming back in for service, but haven't found anymore that were loose, and we've seen about 80 new Bransons go through our doors so far this year.

Our guy that had his come loose used his forks to move heavy Walnut burls. He had the hydraulic relief adjusted too high on the loader, we set that back to factory specs for him and told him to not mess with it. I suspect lifting 3000 lb burls contributed to the problem. He denies that he lifted so much, but he denies it with a proud smile on his face. He has over 100 hours on the tractor and no clutch problems. I would doubt a connection to the clutch, yet that issue must be looked at carefully. These tractors use a really heavy duty LUK (Germany) clutch and have been fairly bullet proof, so having the clutch wear out so early isn't normal either. Hopefully the dealer will be in contact with the national service adviser to work this out. Branson is very fair and wants to treat the dealer and customer right.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #14  
Sorry to hear of your problem JonMark. To some extent, it could have been about any of us.

Noticed in your post the friend was pulling a box blade in <font color="red"> the second range in second gear </font> .

That's probably a 3 - 4 mph task. What's the max speed for your tractor in this gear?

There's no big trick to frying a clutch in 15 minutes if the operator is adequately clueless. Not implying this is the case, but certainly a possibility.

Irregardless, I hope Branson will realize the value of satifying a customer of a new tractor with an obvious mfg. defect, and step up to the plate.

Most any of us that are in manufacturing will admit sometimes we fix things that cannot be the company's responsibility. It's done in the name of customer service. Call it CDB.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #15  
The thing about the clutch is that f the front end is restricted and it doesnt have its own overload clutch which isnt very common, and the front end binding will load down the the clutch. Because the flywheel is turning at so many rpms and if the front and rear are connected by the transfer it will usually cause the clutch to slip then burn out if its loaded to an extreme. I had a customer with a big manual shift Ford on his farm do this. I think he had to had his flywheel resurfaced as well. I think what caused his was the bearing that holds the pinion gear tried to sieze and over loaded the clutch. Its confusing and hard for me to explain on here I wished had a model of the gear train to show yall.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #16  
At 34 hours on the meter, I doubt that the clutch is worn out--but anything is possible. I sell Centurys from American Jawa, and would not hesitate to tell a customer, if a similar situation came to us, that it would be covered under warranty--because i know they would.
I might add that we recently had a customer bring in his 3045 for it's first service (oil & filters) and noticed that the clutch pedal just didn't feel right--it was somewhat stiff. It turned out that the linkage where it goes through the bellhousing was binding up. We did not have to split the tractor to fix it. We freed it up by first applying a good (not WD40) grade of lubricant to the shaft inside and out--then drilling a hole in the bellhousing and adding a grease fitting. This may not be your problem--but it could be worth checking. Compare how the clutch pedal feels on yours, to another tractor on his lot.
Hope this helps.

Dancce

I just remembered that this same tractor had loose bolts on the front axle--a couple were missing also--my recollection is that the bolts were too short from the factory. We replaced all of them.
In defense of these tractors, I must say that , we have quite a few out --some are used commercially--and as a general rule they are bullet-proof.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice
Daves Tractors,

Thanks for the response. Can you post the service bulletin about the bolts not bieng torqued to spec. I can't get ahold of one.

In your response you say that you found one tractor with loose bolts. How loose were they?

On my tractor, there were the three bottom bolts that were completely out, the others were over half way unthreaded and I never lifted anything heavier than a full bucket of dirt with the FEL.

Since you are another 4520 owner, and a dealer, I will bend your ear with a few questions.

Are there anyother service bulletins out there that are of importance?

Also, what is the average life of a clutch on the Branson?

What is the 4320?

Thanks,
Jon Mark

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #18  
Jon, Talk with Branson before you do anything else. Be nice and tell them "you need their help". Hard to say no to someone asking so nicely. Find out what your options are (liabilities might change when you actually find the problem). When they split the tractor you will know volumes, right now all you can do is speculate. Splitting a tractor is an uneventful sometimes laborious task but if done by competent mechanics it will not shorten the life of your tractor in any way. Is it normal for a clutch to go out this soon...Hell no. Does it happen...sure. Like everything build enough of any product and you build it right at least once and wrong at least once. Sounds more like a factory flaw to me, if the neighbor had abused it enough to kill it like all dead things you would smell it.

EFC,

Great advice! I am going to wait to see the out come before I contact anyone. I just got word from the dealer that Branson has given them the OK to waranty everything based on the dealers discresion and findings. Hope all goes OK on dealers side. Jon Mark

Dieselsmoke1,

Thanks for repy, to answer your question adout max speed in the range and gear I was in, "I have no idea." Maybe DavesTractor can help us out on this one.
Now can you answer one question for me? What is CDB? and do I need some? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif JonMark