Buying Advice Branson Problem - Need Advice

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #1  

JonMark

Tractor
Branson 4520
Not trying to stir waves about Branson, because I love mine, however I have run into a situation that I need some advice from other owners on. I purchased the 4520 on 9-10-03 and have put a total of 34 hours on the tractor.

The problem is that I loaned my tractor to my friend to use over a weekend that I was out of town. He used the tractor for a total of 6 hours roughly. When I picked the tractor up from him I noticed that the clutch was very weak, and upon trying to drag my box blade found that the clutch was all but gone. I immediatley loaded the tractor up and returned to the dealer to inspect. Upon dropping off my tractor at the dealer we performed an inspection of the tractor and found that the left front wheel was bowed out. We found that the bolts that went to the left front gear case had worked their way out, causing the axel to bind. We inspected the right side and found that the bolts were also loose, but not in as bad of shape. The dealer immediatley called the manufacturer who advised him of a service bulletin about this issue, "Bolts not torqued to spec from factory on a group of Bransons."

Since I was using the tractor with the 4x4 engaged, would the axel binding cause extreeme stress on the clutch?

The reason I ask is that the friend I loaned my tractor to has experience with driving them and upon questioning him, he ensured that he knew how to work the clutch.

Right now the dealer is concentrating on fixing the axel and housing on the tractor before they look at the clutch. They said that the clutch would probably not be covered under warranty and that it would be very costly!

Any thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jon Mark
TX

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #2  
Most definetly t will strain the clutch. If the clutch is engaged and rear is turning and the nthe front wheel drive is engaged and its binding up it will wear o nthe clutch. I think the manufacturer ought o cover it if its still under warranty. Its also a flaw that should have that group recalled. i had a new NewHolland hoe do that once, something broke in the fron end and it slipped the transmission wore the transmision and front drive line.
If they dont fix it you need lawyer, I hate the L word but sometimes its needed.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice
Thanks for replying promplty. I thought that might be the case, they dismissed this idea. I sure feel like my dealer is trying to bend me over on this one. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Not ready for it, but I am feeling it. Jon Mark

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #4  
Bummer Jon! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sorry to hear about your problems.

You say that your friend has experience driving tractors. Who says so, you or him? I mean, do you know for a fact that he has this experience, or do you just take his word for it?

Just how good of a friend is this fellow? If he's a REALLY good friend, then you have to decide if you want to chance losing the friendship if you accuse him of abusing your machine.

Another question you should be trying to answer is if the damage might have occurred even if you were operating the tractor. There was a service bulletin about the potential problem that you didn't even know about. Could you expect your friend to know about it? Is it possible that whoever was operating it might not have noticed what was going on before it was too late?

If the fellow is a good friend, I guess I don't think I'd jeopardize the friendship by raising a stink about it. After all, you did let him use the tractor without any special instructions, right? Did you tell him that he'd be responsible for any damage that might be incurred while he was using it? Maybe if you're a good guy about the whole thing, he might even feel bad enough about it to offer to help cover the cost of the repairs.

I guess if nothing else, you've probably learned that it doesn't pay to loan your machine out to anyone, even a good friend. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hard lesson, huh? Hope everything works out for you! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Golfgar4,

Thanks for your reply, however can you answer the part about whether or not it would put unnecessary strain on the clutch? And your right, if you were driving it, would it have done the same thing, who knows. And YES, lesson learned!!Jon Mark

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #6  
Could it put unnecessary strain on the clutch? Yes, it could. Could it wear a 'new' clutch out in that length of time is the hard question.

It could have been a defective clutch from the get go and the axle problem, your friend or both made it worse. There's really no way of telling for sure.

I would certainly try my best to have it fixed under warranty. If your dealer doesn't go for it, then talk directly to the company.

Good luck.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( can you answer the part about whether or not it would put unnecessary strain on the clutch? )</font>

Jon,

No, I'm sorry, but I can't answer that question as I'm not mechanically inclined. The response that Taylor made makes sense to me, but hopefully one of the qualified mechanical types that frequent TBN will offer some input.

Hope it works out for you.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #8  
JonMark
Sorry to hear about your tractor problem. First off I want to state I AM NOT a mechanic. But I will put in my 2 cents. Could the front end problem be related to the clutch problem? Possibly but, I highly doubt it. Sorry I know that is not what you want to here. It is possible to know how to operate the clutch but be using the tractor in the wrong gears. I have seen this prematurely wear out clutches. Could something else have caused this? Yes and I hope you can find the exact cause. Good luck.
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
PS: Is Dave’s Tractor out their? Maybe he can shed some light on it.

/ Branson Problem - Need Advice #9  
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have a Branson 3510 with 47 hrs on it. After reading your post I immediatly went out to check on mine and all is well. I am just wondering what sort of work your neighbor was doing with your tractor and what gear/range he was using. It just seems odd that he wouldn't notice the clutch slipping. You didn't say whether he
told you about the clutch problem or you found it yourself. If the bolts gradually loosened up over time there should have been some sign of fluid leaking. I don't know about your particular dealer but I think "Branson" would probably be responsive to a letter about your problem. I hope you get everything worked out.
Good luck,
Ken.

Phirman, BillyP & Chipperman,

Thanks for responses. To answer a few more questions, the tractor was in 4x4 in second gear, second speed. He was dragging the box blade in a nonagressive position over loose soil. He also pushed a small pile of brush around with the front end loader.

I will try to get the Original Service bulletin on the problem today and post it as a reply possibly tonight or tommorrow.

Does anyone know how much this clutch will cost. The dealer wont even give me a ball park yet. He said that the tractor will have to be split in half to replace clutch. Ouch!!

Is this good for a new tractor?

Jon Mark