Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default whats the best way to fix a crack in a fuel tank?

Hi
    Can anyone help me?my zetor 3011 has a crack in its fuel tank what advice would you give me to fix it?

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Default Re: whats the best way to fix a crack in a fuel tank?

Ask your local fire department. When my truck picked up a gash in the tank from some freeway debris, I couldn't avoid, I donated my old plastic tank to the local FD so they could practice their patching skills on plastic tanks. They had patches on my tank's gash, but with fuel seeping out............it took numerous trys to stop the leak.
    hugs, Brandi

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Quote Originally Posted by tractorboy3011 View Post
    Hi
    Can anyone help me?my zetor 3011 has a crack in its fuel tank what advice would you give me to fix it?
    This may not be much help but...
    Back in the mid 70's, right after a fill-up, I got a fuel tank leak on the bottom of the metal fuel tank , on my 1969 Chevy Van.
    Gasoline was dripping all over the ground and the whole bottom of the tank was wet with gasoline.
    Right next door to the gas station was a automobile radiator repair shop.
    A guy from the radiator repair shop, brought out a tube of "Aluminum Repair".
    (It's like a paste inside a tube like toothpaste comes in, only the tube was a little bigger "Aluminum Repair" was the name on the tube)
    The guy claimed they used this "Aluminum Repair" for repairing some leaks in Radiators, and had great success.
    He smeared a gob of this "Aluminum Repair" on the wet leaking area at the bottom of the tank.
    The leak stopped instantly, and never leaked again for the 3 additional years that I owned the van.
    I'm not sure if this "Aluminum Repair" is still available, but I think a product like "JB Weld" would give similar results, if you have a metal gas tank.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab

IF the tank is metal, take a bar of Sunlight soap and scrub it on the crack crossways. lengthwise and diagonally. That should stop the leak. Other way is to take tank off and steam clean it and either weld or solder it up.
    (I am not affiliated with Sunlight Soap and will see no profit from this remedy.)

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Is it metal or plastic? I've had good luck with the stuff they sell at the auto stores to patch metal tanks, but nothing has ever worked for very long on plastic tanks. In the end, and after a lot of frustration, I always have to replace the plastic tank. If I can, I try to find a metal one because whatever happened to the plastic tank that caused it to leak, happens again with the new replacement plastic tank.

Eddie

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I repaired the plastic tank on my LS in 2010 and it is still holding. I used JBWeld two part epoxy mix, roughened up the area with a power brush, cleaned it thoroughly with acetone and applied the JBWeld. I did have to remove the tank as all the holes (4) were on the bottom. I still have the new tank that was furnished under warranty setting in my shop just waiting for the repair to leak. So far no issues. You do need to severely roughen up the area to give the epoxy some gripping area AND clean the fuel off good with acetone or naphtha.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    N. Holland tc30

Give me a plastic tank any day of the week.
    The seams never start leaking, they don't rust from the inside out, much easier to repair if a bit of bad luck happens.

Do we know if the op has a plastic or metal tank yet?

Tractor
    Kubota BX 25D, Kubota Bx 2670, Kubota RTV, 900, Kubota L-2600, Kubota G-3200, Kubota Z121S, John Deere L-160

I ordered a can of fuel tank repair for my WD45 from JCWhitney. You just take the tank off and roll it all around. This also seals all rust. This stuff looks like contact glue used on formica. (this was in the eighties dont know if they still make it). My repair is still holding.
    "Freedom has a taste to those who fought and almost died for it ...
    that the protected will never know. Anonymous"

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/i...=1421554220now. Anonymous"

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE hst cab

i fixed my plastic tank with JBweld also. did a great job and has held on through the winter.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...fuel-tank.html

luckily the hole was up higher in tank. didnt have to remove tank.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Veteran Member

Here is a thread that I posted last June. My tank is still holding!
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/z...my-3510-a.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast