Branson tractor maintenance 4720

/ Branson tractor maintenance 4720 #1  

rasorbackq

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720
Was just looking at the chart for maintenance and it says I think to change the engine oil every 100 hrs. Does that seem right!

/ Branson tractor maintenance 4720 #2  
No! Not usually especially if you use synthetic oil like Shell Rotella T 5W-40. The oil change interval in the owners/service manuals on my Fords built in the 1960's, back when we didn't have the super lubes we have today was was at least 150 and that was for severe service operation.

I spent $37k for my tractor with the Cummins engine so I ought to be overly cautious with that amount of money at stake. Well I am practical and use some common sense. Manual says change every 300 hours. That's about right but like all my stuff I change it when it gets dirty and with syn oil that is over 300 hrs.

I like to use some common sense in this recommended oil change interval thing. OEMs publish specs of the sort for the general public to use, in all kinds of applications, with all kinds of people operating, in all kinds of environments, and maybe a little CYA along with it.

Considering the volume of fluid in changes; 2.5 gallons of engine oil, 15 gallons of hyd fluid for a couple. That's a lot of petroleum resources to "waste" if you don't need the change and just follow the book.

Oh and that may be a misprint. I found a misprint in my spec sheet for fuel consumption. They had the decimal in the wrong place and according to the spec, my tractor was rated to use 10x what it actually does (0.46 gal/hp/hr rather than the actual 0.046 gal/hp/hr). Also the conversion from foreign languages to the US version of English is a task in itself. Example: On products I buy these days the instructions are usually printed in English and Spanish. The word "Warning" for all the CYA that you find preceding everything else in the manuals, in the English section is replaced by the word "Advertisement" in the Spanish section. Personally I can't see for the life of me how the two words have anywhere near the same meaning but they all have that distinction.

HTH,
Mark

/ Branson tractor maintenance 4720
The hydraulic fluids are changed every 300 hrs according too the sheet but the engine oils says " R " at every 100 hrs.
We have to scan the sheet and post. Maybe some one can make heads or tails from it.